Customer reviews

LeapFrog Touch Magic Ocean Music School

on 29 May 2014
I bought this for a birthday present and I had a play with it just to see what it did. Very educational and good value for money.
VINE VOICEon 15 October 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Again this was another toy I was testing out for Amazon Vine that I was considering to give to my daughter to play with.

Upon turning this on my first thought was how loud this was, I couldn't see a volume control on it either but my daughter wasn't about so I continued looking it over.

It does play a variety of sounds and music and I can see how some children would enjoy this but I definitely don't think my daughter is the right age range for this. Upon looking at the age range its recommended for, my daughter is only 15 months compared to the 3+ years it recommends. She will be able to press the buttons and play with this toy to a certain extent but I do agree with the recommended age for this toy because as smart as she is (I say smart because at 15 months she is an expert with the ipad) I'm fairly certain she won't understand the concept of the game "find this colour" as obviously she doesn't know her colours yet.

Overall I would think this is a good game for slightly older children and like other Leapfrog toys it definitely has an educational part to it. For now I think I will keep this toy back until she more able to use and play with it properly.

If you like Leapfrog products then this might be a good option to go with for a good fun educational toy for Christmas. I find the majority of Leapfrog products to be good value for money.
VINE VOICEon 19 September 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Leapfrog Ocean Music School is a brightly coloured electronic board which aims to teach the names of ocean animals, musical instruments and colours through 3 modes of learning - compose, song and game. It is marketed as being suitable for age 3 and over, is easy for a toddler to hold or carry and, most importantly, batteries (3xAAA) are included.
All of the actions on the board respond to touch - there are no buttons - and the child is given an action to do after the "Let's create Music" "Let's play music" or "Let's play a game" introduction, depending on which mode they have chosen. Surprisingly, only the 3 stars on the board light up but the sound can be turned up or down as necessary which is certainly useful as the female voice is quite shrill. The "compose" mode is the most interactive as they can make tunes with the guitar, trombone or drum. Swirling the goldfish on the top left hand side of the board can slow down or speed up the music. The "song" mode plays short well known songs and children can add instruments as it plays or play along on the rainbow coloured keyboard. The "game" mode involves the octopus asking the child to touch something of a certain colour or find and touch a specific object i.e. an instrument or one of the creatures.
I have had a mixed reaction to this toy. My 3 year old niece - who loves music - played with it for a short period of time and then got bored as she knows her colours and the songs. Her 2 year old friends loved it and were captivated for several hours pressing all the buttons without necessarily following the instructions.
Overall, the Leapfrog Ocean Music School is well made, durable and a perfect size for younger children. Given that there are no loose or small parts which could be dangerous I would suggest that this toy might also be suitable for a younger age, say 20 months or above, as they could get as much, if not more, enjoyment from this toy than the age 3 and over group recommended.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 14 September 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I love this toy, I gave it to my grandson to play with. He loves fish and music.Its very bright and colourful and has lots of different modes. You can listen to tunes, compose your own, play with a single instrument or a big band.Learns the little ones to enjoy music. I would start the age range though from 2yrs upwards.Ive had a play myself it provides hours of fun, using touch screen keyboard or fish to play, it also has a nice carry handle and is light and portable.
on 12 January 2015
Well, I personally liked the thing but my 8 months old son hasn't shown much interest unfortunately. I'm not too upset as means I have it for later. I think this is because real buttons are more attracting for him than touch board. The only thing I don't quite like is the quality of the sound - not too pure I'd say. There're 2 tiny stars lighting up with dull yellow colour if somebody needs this information. Would be better if it was more than just one colour.
on 25 November 2014
Who ever thinks a 2 or 3 year old won't like this toy is crazy. I'm 20 and played for ages. It's amazing can mix your own beats and add in music behind your track. Tap, strum, circle, it's a great toy for a toddler and my 2 year old will love it Christmas morning. Battery's are already in so no faffing. I can only imagine a 2-3 year old not liking it if they didn't understand it. My 2 year olds very bright so will be a wiz at it. Happy all round.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 18 September 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As soon as I opened the package from amazon my then 6 month old was transfixed and because it was already set to 'on' quickly worked out by bashing how to turn it on properly and started playing with it with jubilation. 18 months later she still loves it and yells "FISH!" whenever she sees it.

The pad has 3 settings
Compose-''free play' which allows a choice or combination of 3 backing tracks (brass/drum/guitar) to be combined with short riffs from the other instruments.
Song: where the instruments play a short well known song and you can play along on the keyboard or add harp, drum,guitar or brass
Game: matching game where the octopus asks the child to touch something a certain colour or to find the ... (Sea animal or instrument)

There is also a slow down function by swirling the goldfish clockwise or counter and an excellent function on the back to make quieter for sensitive ears/sensory sensitive children or louder for older children.
I'm particularly pleased with an octave do-re-mi scale which it is shocking how difficult a do-re-mi scale is to find but a full octave? Full points to leap frog!

All in all, my 6 month old got and now 2 years old still gets a lot of fun from the colours,sounds and enjoys it immensely, whilst she's now getting there with her colours, it's still just fun with hints of the full learning and success experience an even older child would through the matching exercises etc but I like that factor that a toddler could get as much pleasure as a younger sibling but in different ways.

Success all round!
on 23 August 2015
Lovely toy for infants, brightly coloured, engaging tunes, catchy beats and easy to function. It is intended for Age 3 years plus, but I bought it for Christmas for my (at the time) 6 month old and she was captivated by it. She is now just over a year old and still thoroughly enjoys playing with it (as does her 4 year old sister) and will seek it out herself, switch it on and happily activate the sounds by herself .
on 9 December 2016
This is such an excellent toy. I've owned it for three years now, having first purchased it when my son was 2. I now have a 1 year old daughter and she plays with it, it's one of her favourite toys. And even after three years of play I'm still discovering new songs and phrases I have never heard.
on 4 January 2015
My 1 year old loves the songs on this (and creating her own) and has loved it since she was 8 months old! Well worth the price as will last for years to come. Also the sound quality is better than most musical toys.