Format: DVD|Change

on 7 January 2014
Ive got the previous (and excellent) Jack Dee box set and I also bought his book so I was looking forward to this DVD. Unfortunately, there's a real underlying feeling of slowness that dominates the recording. The crowd seem a bit lucklustre, Jack Dee seems a bit tired and the whole show just seems to go very slow. It's funny in places but no way near the intensity of his earlier work. The stories are so overlong that when the punchline comes along you've almost forgotten the build-up! Having said that, at £5 it's worth a punt, but I doubt I will get around to watching it more than once.
on 24 May 2013
well to start with before I'm bombarded with negative comments for reviewing something that hasn't come out I was there at the show at the one being released for DVD :) just had to say that as I have come under fire for reviewing a film before actually watching it. (and let me tell you never again have I done that) :) anyway back to the review.
Been a huge fan of Jack Dee remember watching his old DVDs and loved his style, so when the chance came up to actually see him live, me and the family tickets booked. It was a great night, Though Jack Dee has been away for awhile he still has it, that dead pan approach. But you can see how sincere and passionate he is about his craft. I was in stitches the whole evening. If your a fan of Jack Dee then this is a must, I would highly recommend this DVD, to have to hold till death do us part. :)
on 22 November 2013
I loved him growing up and he is still great today. Its been a while since I saw his last DVDs and I will admit that I recall his earlier releases being comedy gold material while this DVD is closer to silver. But thats still very shiny indeed.

Its nice to see a comedian make intelligent jokes, which are based on a story whose punchline will come back to an earlier remark. Its cleverly scripted and Jack is superb at it.

I don't recall much swearing or crude remarks and I would be happy to watch this show on Christmas Day with my family. Out of all the stand-up DVDs released this year, if you were after a present for your mum which you know you will have to watch with her later - then this is most deffinetly that Dvd.
But its also a great show to watch with the guys with a few pints at hand.

A lot of the material is about his children and life experiences, so perhaps the people who will appreciate him the most are the ones that can relate to what he is saying and have children themselves. But I'm sure even the teenagers will enjoy the show as well.

Overall, its a good show and Jack is still one of the best comedians in the world.
on 29 December 2013
I saw this show live and greatly enjoyed it so bought it for my 90 year old mum for Christmas. She needs subtitles for easy watching so it was disappointing to find there weren't any. On the plus side Jack Dee is quite easy to hear so she did manage to pick up most of it as she has some hearing. Nevertheless what a shame to exclude so many people from enjoying a great comedian.
on 28 June 2015
Jack Dee really is one of a kind. I think one either likes him or not and there is no in between. I like him. Sadly, like so many others, he he's introduced much more swearing and crudity and that spoils him a little. But, that seems to be the way of comedy now.
on 19 July 2015
This is another example of why Jack has been popular for so long, it is some of the best observational comedy around
Jack has got drier and funnier with the years, and more relevant than ever
Sit back watch and enjoy the laughter
on 10 August 2014
As I previously stated in my review of 'Jack Dee Live at the Apollo' I said his recent stuff seems laboured and just plain not as funny as some of his older material, its still a decent watch and will have you laughing at several points but if you want to see Jack Dee at his best then go buy his older work.
on 26 March 2014
Yes, we are both big Jack Dee fans and his old, dead-pan humour is back. He feels like his comedy never ages and nor does his delivery of it. Some comedians change with the times and try to keep guessing what the audience wants but Jack knows and delivers in this DVD. Highly recommended. Only wish is that he did more comedy these days.
on 22 November 2013
I've been a huge fan of Jack Dee for quite some time now, both of his stand up (first saw him live nigh on 20 years ago) and his TV output, 'Lead Balloon' was a gem, so it was great news to hear he would be back on stage for the first time in over 5 years, but, has age and time mellowed our Jack and watered down his deadpan caustic wit?

It's a definite no!
As brilliantly mean spirited and sarcastic as he was 'back in the day' he spouts his every day grievances on subjects as wildly diverse as light bulbs, taxi drivers, Jesus as a teen, wind chimes, sex with donkeys ("I've got a carrot for you!") and teenagers ("having four teenagers has taught me that adolescence basically is a form of mental illness")

Just like Peter Kaye's comeback last year, this is top quality, entertaining, and very, very funny stand-up from a top performer. Welcome back Jack.
on 2 October 2013
I was lucky enough to be on holiday when he came to Torquay! The show was brilliant. We had excellent seats near the front and he put on a fantastic gig with some hilarious ad-libs. Unlike some other stand-ups he doesn't resort to toilet humour to get the laughs and the content was totally original. I have a very short list of favourite stand-ups and JD is one of them.