Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 17 June 2013
The music and performances on this disc are marvellous. Most of the time the picture quality is incredible although there are some dodgy moments to be fair. All in all, this release seems to be everything Macca fans were hoping for.
The sound on the Blu-ray disc is also fantastic. At least it is until the bass drops out of the mix for a few seconds (DTS 5.1 or PCM - it doesn't matter which one you choose). Then it happens again, and again, and again , and again........ You get the idea. It's hugely distracting at best and, for me, effectively ruins what would otherwise be an excellent and exciting film record of Wings in their heyday. Finding out through other websites and forums that this problem is affecting both DVD and Blu-ray versions, but NOT all copies is no comfort. This is an important release by most standards so it's a shame that quality control has apparently bitten the dust here. Despite the fault being widespread there's no comment from the manufacturer as yet but surely the affected discs should be recalled and replaced as quickly as possible?

I would have loved to have given this five stars and , without the soundtrack problems, I could easily have done so but it's hard to see past such a serious flaw.
1010 comments| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 September 2013
Saw this fantastic concert at the cinema and couldn't wait to watch again at home. However I was very dissapointed as there is an error/fault with the sound, the base keeps dropping out. My brother experienced the same problem. We researched and this is a problem with several copies but not all. My brother e-mailed the production company but has not recieved a response. I wouldn't risk buying and pissibly wasting money.
on 26 June 2013
Rock Show is really alive,exciting and a colorful reminder of Wings flying at their height. The guitars are clear , the bass is fluid, the drums in tempo, the brass section in time and of course Paul in Tune , Turned On and thankfully Not Dropped Out. Buy this watch it in one sitting and relive this very entertaining evening from the 1970,s. You will not be disappointed in the quality and clarity of this remastered gem.
Paul Ramon
on 17 August 2013
I am so glad to see this show on DVD, it brings back wonderful memories of my parents buying me it on video when I was a teen. The show is amazing, with Macca showing he is so much more than a Beatle. It also includes the musical talents of the late, great Jimmy McCulloch and the legend that is Denny Laine. Plus lots of beautiful footage of the much missed Linda McCartney. A must for any music fan but most definatly a must for Beatles fans...and you get to just wallow in the beauty that is Sir Paul McCartney for almost 2 glorious hours.
on 17 October 2013
I saw Wings many a time live. From the inception at the Hammersmith Odeon, when all they played were mostly tracks from Wildlife and Red Rose Speedway to finally at the Rainbow with Back To The Egg, et al. This was filmed during their most commercial and successful period, circa 1976. At The Speed Of Sound was the current album during this tour and overall, as far as Wings albums went, not one of their best. However with songs like Beware My Love, even that album has some very good highlights. I do recall those days and watching the Blu-ray reminded me how Denny Laine was not just someone making up the numbers. He did write the occasional song but he certainly fronted the vocals on a few here, such as Spirits Of Ancient Egypt, Picasso's Last Words, Richard Cory, Go Now and Time To Hide. Denny also used to introduce various numbers and as McCartney followers these days will know, that apart from, whoops, thumbs up and "oh yeahs", he's not really a front man at all. During the Laine and McCulloch vocals, McCartney could have a breather and when Paul did sing, the Beatle numbers were limited to just five tunes. I actually preferred those days to now, as he's become essentially a "tribute" of himself. This is a great Blu-ray and one I've waited years for. I wouldn't rush to see Paul live these days I'm afraid to say.
on 5 August 2013
When I saw Rockshow for the firts time the sound wasn't so good. The show was not complete.
Now everything is ok.
I this tour was the best one.
He plays many songs from Band On The Run and Venus and Mars, my favorite albums.
Soon I'll buy the blu-ray.
on 12 August 2014
I saw this amazing remaster at the cinema,it's just a shame this Blu Ray release suffers from major drop outs in the audio soundrack,something that wasn't present on the cinema version.I emailed Eagle dvd about the audio problems,but they ignored the problem.It's a shame,as Rockshow is what i consider Mccartney at his best.

UPDATE - APRIL 10 2016

This is an update to the original review I did in 2013. Following some information I came across on the McCartney fans forum, I recently discovered that Eagle Rock video had now corrected the audio problems that plagued the first release,

I decided to take a chance and re order from Amazon, on the basis that it had been almost 3 years since my initial purchase, and I hoped the audio problems have been corrected,

So today I sat down to watch this new purchase, and I'm happy to report that the sound is perfect. . . and I'm so happy because Rockshow has to be Paul at his best, some would say that he peaked here, that is largely subjective, but what I will say is, his bass playing here is top notch and his vocal is like a powerhouse and now at last, the audio soundtrack has been corrected by Eagle Rock Video,

There is not much difference in the packaging to this Second edition, what I did notice though is that there is now a white box printed on the disc with a zero in it, and the cat/ref number on the spine of the blu Ray packaging is - ERBRD5189, that number is important because that shows the disc is a second edition with corrected audio,

To sum up then, Rockshow is a must for any fan because it shows Macca and wings at the top of their game an incredible concert that you must have in your collection,

Go buy it, turn the volume up and enjoy
review image review image
on 10 June 2013
Not quite what I was expecting, which was basically the 1981 movie with better sound and picture, this has been completely reassembled with loads of extra footage thrown in (and seven songs not in the original).

I'm not completely certain about the (slighly) jittery picture and and the colour filtering throughout the disc - this is supposedly a transfer from original 35mm film(?!?), at times it looks as if it's a video file playing on a computer with a graphics card that needs updating..imagine the reaction if the Star Wars trilogy had been 'digitally remastered' like this..the sound is fine overall, crisp and detailed with lots of bass, although a bit dry perhaps - a little extra reverb wouldn't have gone amiss.

It is very different from the original cinema release, and takes some getting used to if you've loved it for years as I have.

Of course, it is Wings live in 1976, great band, fabulous entertainment, and the extra shots are very nice to have, so I'm still pleased to have it.The DVD is packaged in a 32 page hardback book, which is a lot more than I expected from a standard, single disc release. The bonus feature "A Very Lovely Party" adds little to the package, though it's great to hear fan reactions and see some unprocessed footage from the time, a similar quality to which I was hoping for in the main feature.

Overall I still recommend this release, particularly if you've not seen the original.
on 20 June 2013
Would give his 5 stars, but sound quality is abysmal. Bass drops in and out constantly, making disc unwatchable. Will be sending back and getting refund.
on 23 June 2013
There are terrible technical sound problems with my Blu-ray - the bass appears to drift in and out of the sound mix and the volume levels are inconsistent throughout the disc.

I suspect there is a mastering error that has slipped through quality control at Eagle Rock.

Do not buy until this has been resolved - you will be disappointed and have now been warned.

I am waiting to see what Amazon UK are going to do.