on 27 November 2013
I would recommend this book and it has a CD to assist meditation. It is easy to follow and has helped me to deal with the pain and helped me relax alot more. I find it easier to live in the moment now.
30 people found this helpful
on 9 November 2016
Really worth having a go at this programme if you are stressed and have pain. Inparticular it has helped me relax at bedtime and sleep well and also recharge in the middle of the day when weariness sets in. The book is very well written and makes a lot of sense.
7 people found this helpful
on 5 June 2016
My physio told me this might help, not finished the book yet, but what I have read I can totally relate to. Only a beginner at the moment and trying to switch off is difficult but you go at your own pace, it is a long term buy in, this sort of therapy does not work in a week, you get out as much as you put in.
7 people found this helpful
on 30 December 2015
brilliant book. when i did the body scan for the first time i felt zonked out. it really relaxed me.
i read the whole book first and then re-read the different sections relating to week 1, week 2 etc. just before starting the weekly meditations.
i think it is helping me with my chronic pain. husband thinks so too.
i am going slower than recommended as i found that i had a bit of difficulty with the self-compassion side of things.
i'll get there in the end though.
5 people found this helpful
on 2 November 2014
this book is fantastic, although very hard reading for me at times. I suffer from chronic pain and was recommit this book to accompany a pain rehabilitation course. I could identify with some of those awful feelings that were described by some of the patients in the book. At first I thought this would be a really namby pamby thing to do and that it wouldn't make any difference, how wrong I was. meditation does really help me to try and combat the negative effects that pain has on me, both physical and psychological. if you are in pain and suffer with depression,anxiety and stress give this book a chance. It might be the best thing you ever did for yourself. Good luck xx
4 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 28 December 2016
I tried mindfulness using the introductory, free Mindspace app and bought this book/course as a follow up.

I bought the Kindle version with the audio available on SoundCloud. I found the 8 week training course format to be invaluable in minimising my chronic pain (pancreatis) and unexpectedly, reducing stress/anxiety dramatically.

For info, I started to gain these benefits within the first few weeks i.e. I didn't need to complete the course.

The book's very good at explaining the science behind mindfulness if you're interested.
on 24 November 2015
This is life-changing for anybody battling chronic pain. A rediscovery of ancient meditation techniques combined with modern science and medical research, this is really an entry point to an exciting new way of mind-body management.
5 people found this helpful
on 18 March 2014
Bought this book to help me cope with anxiety and migraine headaches. I am about halfway through and although there is no miracle cure yet (the book is more about gentle acceptance and removing the worry about your situation) I do feel more at peace with myself. The CD that comes with it is very good too.
6 people found this helpful
on 11 March 2014
If you understand how to meditate and can deal with bodily sensations including some pain, this book is great for furthering your endurance within meditation. The book reinforces meditation awareness of the body and letting go of the pain spots. Of course the more you practice, the better the results. For my current getting well experience, just reading the book has given me a boost. The meditation ultimatum, (which must be regularly practised) is the one for me. Even if you fall short of meditation for a while, this book gives health reasons to inspire you to return to meditation! Read it - you should feel better and more in control.
on 17 October 2017
After exhausting the range of pain killers this was my only other option. the book is set out so as you can understand it with a cd for the meditations. fingers crossed it works. The book was a reasonable price with swift efficient service provided by the vendor. Thanks