I love this wine. Primitivo is the same grape as the Zinfandel, but for me this has far more depth and character than many Californian Zinfandels. Grown in Puglia in the far south of Italy it really flourishes, and improved winemaking is now producing some really good wines, of which this is one in my view.

Pillastro has very full flavours of soft fruit and cherries with a little oak and a slightly smoky undertone which I like very much. It's quite a powerfully flavoured, full-bodied wine, so it goes well with robust food, but I also think it's a lovely glassful on its own. If you like a full-flavoured red with plenty of character and depth, give this a try. It's been a favourite of mine for years.
on 19 February 2014
Very good price for this excellent wine. Goes very well with Christmas fayre and can be drunk on its own. Case was very prompt in arriving.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 26 March 2016
I’m a wine lover and I enjoy a glass or two over a family meal on weekends. I tried this beautiful Pillastro wine this Easter Friday. My farther in-law opened one bottle today during a main course of our meal and I was very pleasantly surprised by its taste. I loved it.

The bottle has a cork screw closure. It’s a healthy 13.5% strength wine, with a strong and confidently spicy character, full of flavours and a delicious blend of Primitivo grapes, which are grown in the Puglia area.

I really enjoyed this wine, I could smell and taste the aromatic spice and the succulent fruitiness in a very smooth, beautiful drink, with predominantly ripe raspberry and spiced plum. This wine is a definite “yes” and perfect for food like quality beef joints, hearty stews, meat and shepherd’s pies, and quality bangers and mash. Scrumptious!
review image review image
on 7 June 2014
Great value for a fantastic wine,, you have to try this !!
Hunted for ages to find this wine, after a good friend introduced me to it,, one word to describe
Absolutelyfanfeckintastic !
on 19 August 2014
excellent smooth wine rich full bodied - was originally given as a gift and enjoyed it so much decided to order 6 more bottles- - not disappointed!
on 13 October 2014
Excellent wine - my favourite. Delivery was prompt as always.
on 19 December 2014
Good wine, pity they use UPS to ship.
on 17 December 2014
Cracking wine
on 2 August 2014
Recommended.
on 30 March 2015
nice wine and very good value for the price