on 19 February 2014
I enjoyed this book, although I did have the feeling that the author may have never actually been to Scotland. The Gaelic phrases, I don't know about, as I don't speak the language. However, the references of Aviemore being just a short distance from Fort William? I suppose on a map they don't look that far apart, but driving distance? At least 1 1/2 to 2 hours. But on the whole it was close enough and it was a work of fiction - I would have thought maybe using made up towns/villages might have been better than using real ones, but getting it slightly wrong. The Aviemore/Fort William thing is just one of several things that were almost right, but not quite. However, I just read that the author originally wrote in German, so maybe these little niggles came about due to translation?
I liked the characters and the plot and have bought the next book in the series and will look for more books by this author. I liked it!
on 20 May 2013
What an amazing book! I loved every minute of it, I couldn't put it down. I read it in two days and when I was away from the book I was always thinking what was going to happen next. There were a few different twists and Emily Bold always kept you interested. I would definitely recommend! I can not wait till the second book is translated I will definitely be buying it. Emily Bold is a great writer and I was captivated from the first couple of chapters. I don't want to ruin the story line but definitely read it, if you like your fantasy books then try this!
on 21 May 2013
I really enjoyed this book despite trying not to, if you ever saw the film Highlander this it, brought into the 21st century. An easy read which runs away with the imagination making it difficult to put down. The way it is written, with graphic description enables you to visualise the beauty of the landscape, walk alongside each of the main character's, feel their emotion and step into the book to move easily between Scotland and America. Not usually a genre; I read I am surprised by the level of emotion this book generates - highly recommended.
on 3 May 2013
A well told story, it compelled me to read it completely in two days, only minus was the seemingly very rushed ending but all in all satisfying, just maybe the Fair Isle could have feature more
on 22 October 2014
I am sorry Ms Bold, the concept was a good one but didn't convince me I wish it had. I can only think I have been spoilt by others who have gone before. We all have different tastes, this one wasn't for me.
on 16 May 2013
I was interested in the setting of this book,in Scotland, and the historical background.

Unfortunately, I had not understood from the product description that it was a teenage novel and as such it did not appeal to me.

However, as a teenage genre, it is skillfully written.
on 24 April 2013
Not the sort of book I normally buy but bought on a whim as a kindle deal. Really liked the writing. It's a bit like twilight but with less cliches. I would definitely read more of her titles.
on 23 May 2013
i didn't want to put it down. it had good description and lots of mixed feeling and characters. i would recommend this to any older children and adults.
on 16 May 2013
I chose to give this book four stars because I really enjoyed the storyline and found that I was making time to read it. It was almost hard to put down. Lively and fast paced, this book should appeal to a wide range of readers.

I hope I don't have to wait too long for book two!
on 20 May 2013
The first few chapters where quite a good read but it dragged in the middle and, unfortunately, the ending was obvious from that point.