on 30 March 2014
Had this about 9 months. It hangs from a covered spot and doesn't really get wet. It initially looks good, but the build quality is not there. The clear plastic tube is quite flimsy. No problems with birds liking it; however, never worth £18.
on 12 March 2014
The feeder is well built but the removable feeder bar on the top feeding holes was very flymsy and the screw thread was ver slack on one side and would not tighten up sufficiently so I have had to use tape to reapir it enough to use as I didn't want to wait for a replacement feeder.
on 24 June 2013
The 'easy clean' system is very good and enables cleaning the feeder without any problem. The feeder is expensive but these seem to last for years, Cheaper feeders seem to break more easily. Very satisfied with this product.
on 7 March 2014
Extremely disappointed - the two bottom perches gave way and the plastic completely shattered after only two days of use and didn't even get a chance at the "easy cleaning" which was the main reason I purchase this particular one, a complete waste of money and at £18.99 + I had expected a much higher standard so unfortunately I am unable to recommend this due to the very short life of the product which was used on a guardman feeding station.
on 13 January 2016
I was given two of these for Christmas at my own request since they are RSPB and "easy to clean". However, the feeding ports are too wide so about 50% of the (sunflower hearts) seed falls out onto the ground. So I can't hang them where the dogs can get under them as they eat the seed and associated gravel! Hung where the dogs can't get to them, the seed is eaten by ground feeding birds, but other makes of feeder I have (The Nuttery) don't suffer from this defect.
Please ask the manufacturer to make the ports narrower.
We've had several over the years and the quality has been reduced by the RSPB. The tube cracks near to the bottom perches after a year or so and renders the product often near useless. The metal parts are very good and do last well, but this is a waste of materials since the feeding tube is so fragile after a short time outside.
on 2 January 2015
Poor Quality item. As others have said the plastic tube is particularly thin and quickly started cracking. This item will not last long.
If the plastic tubing was made from a higher grade plastic it would probably be good as it is very easy to clean
on 14 February 2014
Having bought so many feeders over the past year I now have an embarrassing pile in my shed which represents what could have been a huge donation to rspb (and I am a member). All seem to have problems with cleaning, accessibility for the birds or rain getting in.
I eventually stumbled upon this one which I hoped might at last cover all bases but foolishly didnt read these reviews before ordering.
Its been in my garden now for a month and to start with the birds dont like it; I think because the water gets in and spoils the sunflower hearts (and thats a lot of expensive waste). They only visit it when they are desperate and the other feeder needs shaking to knock the seed down. I also paid for a tray (expensive mistake) and they wouldnt go near the bottom ports with the tray on so I took that off but it makes no difference. I guess the bottom seed is more washed out and tasteless.
I expected the designers to come up with a product which is actually gonna work for my little visitors who depend on me, rather than what seems to be the case which is that they have produced something which is gimmicky and cheap to manufacture. I paid too much for this considering its basically redundant and almost unfit for purpose. It comes apart slightly easier than the models which need a screwdriver to dismantle but is still rather awkward to clean- its the shape more than anything.
Come on rspb- I expect better than this from you guys!
Update; Nov 2014
To be fair, I put this thing back up through the dry summer and the birds eventually decided to use it. However, the plastic has now cracked and split around the ports letting in even more rain which is why I'm back here looking for a replacement which- I might add - will not be one of these. I'll go for one of the metal ones which last considerably longer and are much more waterproof.
Happy bird watching :-)
on 14 October 2013
Great - definitely easy to clean but the taller one was even better (but not so easy to clean as there was such a long tube it was difficult to get to all the places as it was 30" long)
Birds loved it. Liked the idea of the perches being unscrewed without a screwdriver - this was much better.
on 29 December 2013
Absolutely perfect for the job. I've been using mine for 6 months now and have never experienced any issues with it; the birds love it. It's easy to disassemble and clean.