1,730
Format: Blu-ray|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 1 July 2013
I loved this movie and both my daughters loved it even more. It is AS GOOD as the first part, therefore this review follows the main lines of my review of the first "Despicable me". This review contains very limited SPOILERS.

1. Hilarity - Exactly as the first film, this sequel is HILARIOUS! There is hardly any 15 seconds in this movie that would not contain a really good gag, children or/and adult oriented. Whoever wrote the scenario was a genius!

2. Despicability - in this film Gru is a little bit different from what he was in the first part. He is no more so grumpy, mean, petty and permanently aggravated - he certainly smiles more and all his attitude softened. He remains however exactly as insecure as in the first film. That being said, there are moments in this film when the old Gru resurfaces, when his heart is broken or when somebody REALLY upsets him. His geriatric sidekick and only friend (well, kind of) doctor Nefario didn't take all this change easily and he has some trouble to adapt his evil laboratory to new tasks of producing jam and jelly... Gru's murderous (and toxic) dog/rat/wolverine/skunk like pet on another hand felt completely under the spell of the girls - but still gives a great show! The two "bad guys" are also excellent - which is a real achievement, considering that one of them belongs to species usually not associated with evil villainy...)))

3. Girl power - as in the previous film, I believe that any parent of little girls will fall immediately in love with Margo, Edith and Agnes, the three little orphaned sisters Gru adopted in the first part. Those seemingly defenseless creatures took him since under the sweet and soft but in the same time surprisingly totalitarian control little girls exercise over their fathers, adoptive or not...))) Agnes, the youngest of the three (I think she is 5) is still particularly sweet - if only she was real I would adopt her on the spot and spoil her silly all the rest of my life! Tomboyish Edith, aged around 8, still wears permanently her pink hat which seems to comfort her, but as you will see she certainly recovered from her previous traumas...))) Margo, the oldest one, is now a young teenager (she is about 13 I think) and starts already to think about boys, something which TERMINALLY freaks Gru out - and I can relate here! Honestly, if you already are a parent of a little girl, you WILL LOVE this movie. And if you do not have yet a young daughter, get one!

4. Minions - as in previous film, as far as reasons to watch this movie go, even the girls must cede the first place to the minions! The totally devoted, fearless (well, mostly) and highly professional and in the same time impossibly immature and conflicted army of Gru minions is THE greatest treasure of this movie. In this film there is even more minions and believe me - they pack incredible fun! I am very impatient to see their own film, which should be released somewhere in 2015.

5. Agent Lucy Wilde, a young rising star in the Anti Villain League, is a new element and a new delight added to this film and her character is a great success. Well trained in martial arts and using some extremely cool gadgets, she is also a mixture of perfect lady and a tomboyish, contagiously enthusiastic adventurer, still lacking a little bit of experience and therefore prone to attack first and ask questions later...))) And she is also cute, which certainly doesn't hurt.

I purposefully omitted in this review some of the characters and did not hint at most of the gags and scenes, to avoid big spoilers and keep things short.

To conclude, this is a TREASURE OF A MOVIE. A thing to see in cinema, then buy on DVD, watch, keep and re-watch on regular basis. And I ABSOLUTELY hope for A SECOND SEQUEL!

PS. LONG LIVE MINIONS!
22 comments| 85 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 January 2015
Absolutely fantastic film!! As an adult I loved it but I'm sure it's great for kids too. I must be a big kid at heart, I was laughing along to the silliest jokes - fart noises and 'he's sooo fluffy'. There was a lot of great content aimed specifically at adults too but kept lighthearted and still suitable for the kids. The Blu-ray and 3D technology and effects were brilliant and really made the film pop and come alive. Great value and well worth a second and third watch.
on 13 July 2013
My wife and I took our 3 year old to the cinema to watch this as the first film is such a favourite in our house. Despicable Me 2 easily held his interest (first trip to the cinema) and he was laughing along with many elements of the visual comedy throughout the film.

Make no mistake, this is a Minion vehicle, as they continually steal the scenes with their distinctive brand of hilarity, but as well as this obvious element, there is also a really sweet story (much like the first film) which underpins the characters and takes the viewer on a story where you actually care what happens to each of them at every turn.

It's definitely up there with the best animated films and manages to build on the equity of the first film without making you think it's just been created as a licence to print money (see Cars 2). A film that can make you laugh and cry, and teach lessons of the importance of relationships, whether animated or not is a thing of beauty. One that is enjoyed by 3 year olds and 30 year olds is exceptionally rare and this is a wonderful example of that.

This comes with the highest recommendation.
on 1 September 2014
I totally agree with the other five star reviews here, this film is just so entertaining for kids and adults alike. Watched it over Christmas with the family (and several times since then), and as an in-law said, you could put this on repeat play and the family would just sit there and watch it over and over again. It's a film that just makes you laugh and feel so good. Is there any better sort?

The plot in short is that Gru gets recruited, somewhat reluctantly, into working with the Anti Villain League to help with a series of unsolved crimes. Along the way we are introduced to several new characters, notably El Macho, a mad 'guard chicken' and Lucy Wilde, the AVL agent assigned to work with Gru. I really like the way that Gru's and the three girls' characters have been developed since the last movie (Margo has her first crush!) and clearly much thought has been given with this. It certainly works.

For once, a sequel that is even better than the original, and bravo to the guys at Illumination Entertainment who have proved beyond doubt that they are not simply cynically exploiting the success of the earlier film. Roll on Despicable Me 3!
on 22 May 2014
What can I say? Those little yellow Tictac shaped fellas are so cute.
This film had me laughing out loud and who cannot love Mr Gru?
Prepare your self for more fun and try not to cry laughing at the chicken bowling ball..(.its just an animation..I do NOT endorse animal cruelty in anyway) I love that bird fiery spirit .
I don't want to spoil it for you so I will say no more other than if you don't love it...
..we do not have the same sense of humor!
on 26 November 2015
superb value at an amazing price can recommend seller was a bit dubious at the low price but it did seem to be going for a similar price elsewhere . probably blu rays not selling due to streaming . saw the film at cinema and we enjoyed it so took the chance at this value to buy the film ; as would like to see again
on 12 May 2014
Firstly, DVD arrived in good time and was a great price. As for the film, well it is great, very funny and lots for both kids and adults to enjoy. It is just as funny as the first film and of course features all the characters that you know. Another super minions movie! If in any doubt, just get it you will not be disappointed.

I'm sure (and hopeful!) that there will be another one, my boys cannot get enough of the minions, so hopefully there will be.

In summary good service from Amazon and great film. Perfect!
on 15 November 2015
Film has minions in it. That's all you should need to know! Besides this, it's a very funny and clever film which hubby and I enjoyed without feeling the need to borrow a niece or nephew to justify watching a "kids" film. Seriously, go watch it and enjoy!
on 19 June 2014
If you looking to impress your mates with your home cinema than consider this film, picture quality is perfect but that is normal with these types of films, these really do look great on a 7 feet screen.

if you buy for the kids you will soon find you will watch it as much as they will, great all round family fun.

the sound has power with loads of low end grunt, a great film to give your home cinema amp a workout.
on 17 January 2015
Well who doesn't like Despciable Me??!! My daughter loves the two films and if they are going to be making a third, I'm sure she'll love that one too!! Great plot and a nice ending :) I can't count how many times we've watched it, but I can say it's paid for itself!! :D