on 4 May 2017
Good characterisation, scenic descriptions and plot, too many acronyms needing frequent dips into the glossary ruining the flow of reading sometimes. For military action aficionados.
on 28 June 2017
Struggled with this book as the story evolved and Hollywood took over - am sure it's a book that will appeal to others.
on 10 July 2017
I particularly enjoyed how the plot was slowly released until the final chapter. An exciting book well worth a read.
on 15 March 2017
Edge of the seat stuff. Authentic action with twists and turns that keep you guessing until the last page. Highly recommended.
on 11 July 2017
I started reading this book and couldn't put it down. Only one word to describe it BRILLIANT. A must read
HALL OF FAMETOP 10 REVIEWERon 15 March 2013
No spoilers here & one useful tip (in my opinion).

What a great book.

I picked this book up as the Kindle Daily Deal. It's worth paying full price for it. I must admit that I have to restrict the temptation to buy any Daily Deal that lies within my field of interest so I downloaded the free preview before buying and was not impressed - some of the prose seemed a little amateur (I am embarrassed to say that having read the book subsequently - I was wrong). But I bought it anyway as the pirate topic interests me.

I found the book interesting and, regarding piracy, educational (for example, the defences that shipping companies have taken against piracy recently). I found it hard to put down and read it in four days. I haven't done that with a book for a while now - it's the acid test for a good book. It reminded me of reading a Tom Clancy book - praise indeed.

The author mentions the research that he carried out in the Acknowledgements (accessible via the Table of Contents) and it really shows in the quality of the book. The author remarks that he interviewed/spent time with pararescuers in Long Island and Djibouti, and spent two weeks on a cargo ship between Malta & Dubai.

One tip: the book uses military terms, i.e. there are lots of acronyms. There is a Glossary at the end of the book, accessible via 'Go To'/'Table of Contents'. I was foolish enough to just Google the acronyms - some of them are relatively obscure so a Google search doesn't always yield an immediate hit. I wish I had thought of checking for a Glossary.

Fast-moving action on a novel topic. I SO enjoyed this book.
on 15 November 2013
This was an outstanding thriller that brought the problem of pirates and hostage rescue to light. Its description of the military actions seemed very realistic and quite plausible. A very good read which I would be happy to recommend.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 24 April 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I am a fan of Clive Cussler, Tom Clancy, Jack Higgins, Frederick Forsyth, et al, but I am new to the work of Mr Robbins - though I will admit that I selected this mainly becauyse an ex-colleague of mine was a "para-jumper" with the USAF.

I found it to be a well-paced story (thought it can drag in places) and the camaraderie is well done.

It reminded me a little of Clancy's Rainbow Six (which is still my favourite Clancy book 15 years on - it was first published in 1998). I always wished that Clancy had turned "Rainbow" into a series like he did with Op Centre and Netforce.

I enjoyed which story and will definitely be looking out for the next in what I hope will be a series.
on 26 November 2013
Fast-paced yet carefully written, knowledgable yet not too geeky, unputdownable yet fulfilling. Can we have more parajumper stories please Mr Robbins?
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 16 February 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Devil's Waters is an action packed adventure which does not take long to get into its stride, and keeps the reader's interest right the way through. A cargo ship is captured by Somali pirates, and the PJs (Pararescue Jumpers) are sent in to recapture it. This is well outside of their normal field of operation as they are a group who deal with humanitarian missions.

This is an interesting story where nothing is as it seems. There is the mystery as to why everyone is so interested in this particular ship and its cargo, and a fair degree of international diplomatic intrigue with many different groups with their finger in this particular pie. The truth is gradually unravelled as the story progresses, but it is really a case of wheels within wheels with nothing being as it seems.

Initially there is a distinct danger of the reader being drowned in a sea of acronyms, and whilst the torrent eases off there are still plenty of them throughout this book. When I got to the end I discovered a glossary which actually explained what they all meant which was useful as it is not intuitively obvious, for example, what NVGs or an RAMZ are. It would have been even more useful if I had found this at the outset so I would recommend that anyone who is planning to read this book does keep an eye on the glossary as it will add to the story.

Overall this was an enjoyable read which I would recommend. It builds to an exciting climax and I was initially surprised that after things were apparently resolved there were a significant number of pages left. However, there is plenty of interest right to the end as the apparent conundrum is eventually explained. This is a cleverly plotted and well written tale.