No spoilers here & one useful tip (in my opinion).

What a great book.

I picked this book up as the Kindle Daily Deal. It's worth paying full price for it. I must admit that I have to restrict the temptation to buy any Daily Deal that lies within my field of interest so I downloaded the free preview before buying and was not impressed - some of the prose seemed a little amateur (I am embarrassed to say that having read the book subsequently - I was wrong). But I bought it anyway as the pirate topic interests me.

I found the book interesting and, regarding piracy, educational (for example, the defences that shipping companies have taken against piracy recently). I found it hard to put down and read it in four days. I haven't done that with a book for a while now - it's the acid test for a good book. It reminded me of reading a Tom Clancy book - praise indeed.

The author mentions the research that he carried out in the Acknowledgements (accessible via the Table of Contents) and it really shows in the quality of the book. The author remarks that he interviewed/spent time with pararescuers in Long Island and Djibouti, and spent two weeks on a cargo ship between Malta & Dubai.

One tip: the book uses military terms, i.e. there are lots of acronyms. There is a Glossary at the end of the book, accessible via 'Go To'/'Table of Contents'. I was foolish enough to just Google the acronyms - some of them are relatively obscure so a Google search doesn't always yield an immediate hit. I wish I had thought of checking for a Glossary.

Fast-moving action on a novel topic. I SO enjoyed this book.
on 15 November 2013
This was an outstanding thriller that brought the problem of pirates and hostage rescue to light. Its description of the military actions seemed very realistic and quite plausible. A very good read which I would be happy to recommend.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'd not heard of David Robbins before, and I have to admit that from the blurb I was expecting some rather disposable gung-ho nonsense - I hasten to add that I was pleasantly surprised!

At first I assumed that Robbins must be ex-Forces, as he writes as if he really knows both the technology and the people, but it turns out he's a professional writer who just does his research really thoroughly, and it certainly pays off. The plot is detailed and credible and he clearly understands what he is writing about. More importantly, he sketches believable characters who aren't stereotypical cardboard cut-outs; there is a degree of depth and character development both among the good guys and the bad guys, which makes a refreshing change for this type of novel. Even his dialogue (a common failing in the techno-thriller genre) is well-written and believable.

The book is perhaps slightly slower-paced than some thrillers, but not to the point that it drags, and it's a thoroughly entertaining read. It reminded me very much of early Tom Clancy - albeit if anything slightly better written - and that's no bad thing. Recommended.
VINE VOICEon 1 November 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
David L Robbins latest book is undoubtedly his best, his research has been thorough and widespread, spending time amongst the forces personnel and in the locations of which he writes.
He tells a topical story of a container vessel, with a top secret cargo, hijacked by Somali pirates in the Gulf of Aden and being steered towards Qandala, the pirates village on the Somalia coast line where it will be held for ransom.
A unit of the United States Army Pararescue Service stationed at Camp Lemonnier, Djibouti, are the closest to the scene and they are tasked by High Command to parachute onto the ship under cover of darkness and if possible rescue the hostage crew and kill the pirates, especially the chief, Yusuf Raage, with extreme prejudice.
Whatever the outcome of the rescue attempt, the ship will not be left under the control of the pirates, it has to be sunk in deep water in order to conceal the nature of the cargo it carries.
The story switches between the group of P-Js,-Pararescue jumpers whose motto is dedicated to saving lives and who are now being ordered to take them. Their close knit relationships and the camaraderie they share are integral to the story. The Somali pirate Yusuf Raage, leader of his small village tribe, existing in a poverty stricken, war-torn, lawless land and seeking to enrich their lives in the only way he knows how.
David Robbins doesn't seek to demonise the pirates, he shows some instances of their lives and their faith, before the hijack brings together the two sets of combatants, fighting for their own individual values.
Well worth reading.
on 22 December 2013
A good read, although the PJ crew could've been any SF soldiers for the most part.
I was quite pleased to see the Somalian pirates being made to look human.
"I'm a massive Special Forces fan and this guy is up there with Andy Mcnabb, Conrad Jones and Stephen leather."
on 28 December 2013
One of the best and most thrilling sea borne action thrillers I've read for a while. 'The Devils Waters' was one of these 'can't put down until finished books' which is just as well I'm on holiday.

A finely crafted thunderous blast of reading enjoyment brought to life by a close knit group of Combat Search & Rescue Specialist's who show no fear and send themselves into harms way with only one concern to save the lives of others from danger and medical injury in the field of battle.

The author has keenly researched the integrity and strength of specialist pararescue and in turn gives the reader a cracking insight into this 'Band of Brothers' who carries a pack load of life saving supplies into battle!

As too the book - it's brilliant, great to read and uses the background of a modern possible conflict as its backdrop. The safety switches are unlocked, the flashbangs are thrown in and your flung into an explosive thriller with a knife edge of action to keep you glued to the last page!

I liked this book as the author selected a specialist group and gave me an insight into their background and tradition with this Tour of Duty of Combat Search and Rescue. A superb read and great value as well.
on 22 March 2013
An exciting and an interesting book in reasonably equal measure. Probably a first to be based on the PJ' s as a subject of thriller fiction.

I thoroughly enjoyable book...so why only 4 stars? A little too full of unexplained jargon and military in-lingo, led to the loss of understanding of some crucial points. This affected the impetus at times. And yes I do know there is a Glossary...but not every phrase is in there and who wants to keep looking things up? Also, I couldn't really get my head around that this was PJ rescue outfit. It could just have easily been about any "special forces" team, a lot of the time.

That said I learned a lot about these clearly unsung heroes, and when all is said and done this is a good book, exciting, well researched and competently stitched together with good dialogue and characters you care about. Just a bit more of the 'rescue' side of things please, as I suspect this is ever bit as thrilling as killing!! So Mr Robbins, let us have no.2 please... :-)
on 17 January 2014
The author has done a lot of research about Somalian pirates, and the political situation and the Seals. But the resulting book felt like a cut-and-paste of the research. And his Seal protagonist comes across as very serious and dull. All the Special Forces books I've read have always had buddy banter, which is part of soldiering. This book takes itself too seriously - it's too intense, and there are not enough light patches to give relief.

After about three chapters I'd had enough and returned it to Amazon Kindle for a refund.
on 26 November 2013
Fast-paced yet carefully written, knowledgable yet not too geeky, unputdownable yet fulfilling. Can we have more parajumper stories please Mr Robbins?
on 12 February 2013
I hadn't read any David L. Robbins before but the reviews were very good and it was on the kindle daily offer, so was a no brainer, I read this book in 4 days and absolutely loved it, the characters and storyline were brilliant.
I'd recommend this book to others and I will be reading more of Mr Robbins books soon.