TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 5 April 2016
The series begins gloomily following the death of Matthew. Mary is grief stricken but as the series progresses gradually takes first an interest in securing the future of Downton for her son and then in her own personal happiness, although by the end of the series she still has further progress to make.

The old aristocracy is still coming to terms with post World War 1 social changes and the pressure is on to modernise the old estates.

The old traditions still linger however as the end of season Christmas Special is partially set in Buckingham Palace for the presentation of society daughters to the King and Queen.

The servants appear to have experience a similar roller coaster this time with Anna begin raped by the valet of a visiting Lord. But by then end and again in the Christmas Special live for Anna and Mrs Bates appears to return to normal and is there the start of romance between Carson and Mrs Hughes?
3 people found this helpful
on 4 December 2013
I live in Cyprus and so it is difficult to watch Downton Abbey when it comes out on television, as a result of which I purchase the DVDs which I have just finished watching. As each new series comes it is an improvement on the last which seems almost impossible to imagine, I find myself almost believing that the characters portrayed are real which is very scary and a sign of excellent acting. It isn't just the story lines, or the actors but also the costumes and the sets are so redolent of the early 1920s that if there were anybody alive who lived in that period, they would have to agree they are jolly accurate. To think we have to wait almost a whole year before the next series comes out! But, in the meantime, we have the Christmas special to look forward to, however, Amazon I have not found any mention of the possibility of pre-ordering it, why is that? I want it and I want it now or I am going to jump up and down and scream and shout until I am sick!! I have already signed up to be alerted once the next series is becoming available to purchase, why not the 2013 Christmas Special?
|44 Comments|Report abuse
on 25 January 2017
This tied in with the tragic christmas episode of the last series has been the most moving thing i have ever watched, so many highs, and some awfully upsetting lows! Not many things could have me crying and laughing aloud in the space of 45 minutes but this never fails. It is absolutely brilliant, i also feel this series has improved so much more when the scenes are concerned, i found that with the past 3 series, it was often a little rushed without giving much information on what had gone on.
I wonder what i shall do with myself once it has finished.
on 29 May 2016
Bought this as a present for my mum who is a fan of Downton Abbey and was surprised to find myself enjoying the series as well. Engaging period drama, good performances overall by the cast and an interesting insight into people's lives during that time. Throughout the series, contrast and statements are made on the way of life for the working, middle and upper class divisions, as well as some often moving personal dramas between various characters.
on 15 January 2017
So much has been written on this series that their really isn't much for me to add!
Beautifully written, directed and performed...and so very well cast! Along with many I was so sad when it came to an end...but of
course it had to. But I almost have the full series so will be able to watch it and indulge myself when the mood takes me.
on 12 April 2015
Downton Abbey ... the first season was fantastic and every year has stayed fantastic right through this fourth season. Simply put: One of the best TV productions ever created. Noel Coward's play "Cavalcade" was the original look at a cross section of British society over time (well worth reading even today!); then there was Upstairs Downstairs, which is also very good indeed, however Downtown Abbey sets new standards for high quality entertainment. And it does so without graphic violence, brutal autopsy scenes and foul language. Bravo! So to borrow from Mr. Coward: On with the Dance!
on 29 February 2016
This series starts off with Lady Mary grieving for Matthew but then eventually being persuaded to take some part in the running of the estate. She's also being pursued by two suitors - Lord Gillingham and Charles Blake. Which one will she choose? It also covers Lady Edith's romance with Michael Gregson.
on 4 December 2013
Well what can one say ,as always this story of the Family of the 20's gives us yet more insight into the people and times of this
privileged but often troubled family ,but at the same time we see the life styles of the ordinary working class of the times.
The cast as always are superb, and we all love to see Dear Dame Maggie Smith in her role in this truly fascinating Series.
The reviewer Eric Frith was born in these eventful years of 1922.
on 16 March 2015
Simply loved, our Sky was down for a month due to gales early in the New Year, so out came the DVD's, my husband was also glued, so we sent for following episodes to Amazon, we are both up to date & can't wait for the new series 6 to start on TV,but I will still purchase the DVD to complete my set. Will watch again & again as I am sure we will notice tit bits from previous episodes that we may have missed, but also simply because it was a total delight to watch, just loved it. Imagine even my hubby was hooked, not his thing at all, For me this was A TV series/period drama at its best. please give us more Mr Fellows😘
on 28 January 2014
THis maybe series 4 but I still have to watch this series and as far as I am concerned if we ever get to series 100, as if, I would still be watching. Simply irresistible. Love the characters and the prodcution values and the acting and and and.......... Keep them coming. I buy the DVD's for Amazon UK becasue I can't wait for their delayed broadcasts here in Australia and I can view without the bloody ads.