Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 16 April 2017
Took me a while to get into this - but I love it. This series fills in a lot of gaps in the storylines, showing that Anakin Skywalker's fall was not as quick as it appears. The Clone Wars are dealt with in the second movie (Attack of the Clones) but it really doesn't do justice to that side of the story. Thousands, if not millions of clones bred ONLY to fight, and Battledroids wage a war no one can win and few care about the rapidly rising body count. Of course, it's not that simple - the Jedi are involved, and the Jedi council do not come out of this series especially well. Arrogant, rather partial and often devoid of emotion they 'peacekeep' the galaxy against the 'separatists' but they are peacekeeping in a war zone where everyone is just a piece in a far greater, and more cunning game. In many places, it's hard to tell who are the good guys and the bad, but there are some great villains and heroes but the line between 'good and evil' is blurred, to say the least.

I felt real pity for Anakin and Ahsoka - certainly, for the former the 'light side' wasn't as squeaky clean as it appears. Good and evil are rather relative and truth is dependent on where you stand. This series answers questions cements relationships with characters and the diverse and complex world of Star Wars. It's a must for any Star Wars fan.
on 17 June 2017
Excellent purchase. Arrived to schedule. My grandson and I are loving every minute. A great addition to the Star Wars films (now that he's old enough to watch it all). One episode per day then we can play together and act out all my grandson's favourite bits.
on 25 December 2014
Fantastic! Great quality item and super fast shipping!
on 16 May 2017
My son is happy with them
on 22 June 2017
Product arrived early and works great
on 1 November 2015
The review that follows contains the thoughts of my 7 year old daughter. It's always good to offer a perspective from kids, for other parents who may be considering this for their own children. And in particular, it's good to remember that Star Wars is not just for boys!
###
[What do you want to say about Clone Wars?]
"I really like the adventures they go on. And my favourite character is Ahsoka. In season 1 you'll start to learn lots about their first adventures in The Clone Wars. You'll also find in season 4 that a villain we thought was dead comes back to life. And in season 5 there have been lots of episodes about Ahsoka."

[I asked her about what she thought of the way it looks, sounds, etc.]
"The art is very creative. And the sound just makes you a bit...nervous...happy...sad...and also a bit scared."
[I asked her to explain how it makes her a bit scared, as this should be understood for parents.]
"Well, the scary parts are mostly the battles that the Jedi have with the Separatists. It makes you a bit nervous about who's going to win. If the Jedi are going to win...if the Separatists are going to win..."
[Is it a good kind of scared or a bad kind of scared?]
"It's a good kind of scared."

[Anything else you want to say?]
"The best heroes are Ahsoka, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin, Mace Windu, Rex, Cody, Echo..."
[Who are the best villains?]
"General Grievous, Asage Ventress, The Night Sisters and Count Dooku."

[Would you recommend this show to your friends?]
"YES! Definitely."

####

As the paying adult, I'll add a few notes:
As of this review, we are approximately midway through season 5...so we have not finished every single episode prior to review. I *have* seen some info online suggesting that some folks have had trouble with audio synchronization on disc 2 of season 5 ... time will tell. But it sounds like these errors were corrected easily with replacement discs directly from the publisher.

The visual presentation regularly impresses me. If you've not seen the show, the animation really shines, particularly in any battle scenes. Sound, too, is top-notch...and this is only through the built-in speakers of our telly. No doubt it sounds amazing with a decent sound system.

Whilst there are episodes of Clone Wars that are clearly weaker than others, there are some story arcs which truly shine, and even some which achieved an emotional reaction from me as an adult. This is something even the films struggle to do at times. This is where Clone Wars really sets itself apart. The characters are very strongly developed. Anakin himself is a joy to watch onscreen, unlike his big-screen counterpart!

Ahsoka Tano is easily the best thing to come out of Clone Wars. I am biased, of course, as I do have a daughter. But she is objectively a strong female lead, and never crosses the line into irritation. She belongs up-front, and is a believable leader. It takes no stretch of the imagination to see troops taking orders from her, particularly in the later seasons.

I would recommend this to anyone with a kid who is into Star Wars, particularly daughters who might be looking for a strong, female hero with whom they could try to identify. I would also recommend this to any other Star Wars fan, be they a youngling or a Jedi Master, who found that the prequels, whilst having value, lacked the polish of the original characters.

This series has made me like Anakin again. It has made me hope that we get a stand-alone Obi-Wan film. And it has made me really appreciate strong female leads.

Finally, this is great value for money, especially considering the comparatively idiotic price being asked for Season 6 by itself.
on 10 June 2017
Like many SW fans, I was a bit skeptical of seeing epic live-action characters diminished into light-hearted cartoons. Word on the street was that The Clone Wars was actually surprisingly gripping and pretty dark for a kid's show. Nevertheless, it was with some hesitation that I purchased the DVD film and Blu-ray box set, expecting to be only somewhat diverted.

I have never been more wrong about anything in my entire life.

This show had me emotionally invested from the first episode and my husband (an old-school SW fan, btw) and I had to stop ourselves from watching entire seasons in one sitting. Ahsoka Tano is a brilliantly conceived character who could earn even the most stubborn naysayer's esteem by the end. Like Anakin and Obi-wan's dynamic? There's space bro-ness in spades. And if you have any weaknesses for military-type sads and sass, there are like a million clones in this show who will steal your heart. I cannot recommend this show enough. It's an absolute disgrace that it was cancelled.

In short, don't let the animation (which is excellent, btw) throw you off. If you call yourself a SW fan, watch The Clone Wars.
on 22 December 2015
The Clone Wars is some of the best Star Wars content out there. There are some brilliant episodes and it adds a lot to the canon. The show gets better with each season. It is primarily for younger viewers but it has adult themes and the story has levels and nuisances all can enjoy. Really enjoyed watching.
on 22 February 2017
Grandsons have all watched it several times.
on 17 March 2017
I love this show. Shame Disney thought it was a good idea to cancel it and not provide a satisfying closure. The animation is better in this show for Yoda, Anakin, and others, than it is in Rebels.