Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.98

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 20 August 2015
For starters, I enjoy psychological thrillers. I particularly like those set in Scotland and an Edinburgh location is a bonus. From the blurb, this book ticked all the boxes. So why did I dislike it so much?

I can live with the slow burn start; it's an opportunity to set the scene, characters, plot and sub plots. But from the outset, I found the narrative irritating. The setting seemed contrived, the dialogue unnatural and the constant reference to the little boy's 'jammies' became unreal. The initial premise is fine. Photographer father is out on a beach shoot of whales. Wife fails to collect child from school and next thing, she's missing. But it's happened before...

The majority of the plot borders on badly written farce. It's not a police procedural, and it's totally unrealistic that the husband takes on the violent role of investigator. Throw in human trafficking and other implausible plot devices and it's a totally unsatisfactory read. I had great hopes but I won't be looking for other books by this author any time soon.
I came across this author after reading another of his books, Hit & Run, which I really enjoyed and very much looked forward to reading more by him.

Mark is very much your average type of guy. Married, a father to Nathan as well as a working man. On the day he gets the phone call to tell him that no one has picked Nathan up from school, he has no idea what a roller coaster of a ride his life is about to take.

You can very much feel Mark's frustration that no one seems to be taking the disappearance of his wife, Lauren, seriously. He is sick with worry but is trying to go on as normal for the sake of his son, Nathan. Nathan is a very bright little boy though and he knows that something isn't quite right where his mother is concerned.

Mark is trying his best to keep it together but as time goes on he starts to fall apart.

Mark very much trusts his own instincts as to who is behind his wife's disappearance and more than once takes the law into his own hands and does some investigating of his own. This causes some dire consequences.

Gone Again is a gripping read that I flew through in no time. I can't say that the story line holds any shocks or surprises but it certainly makes for a tense and enjoyable read and I can't wait to read more.
This was a good read and thoroughly enjoyed it; written by the son of a friend and I will certainly be buying another. The packaging, delivery etc. excellent. Happy to recommend purchase at this time.
on 24 May 2014
Absolutely loved this, full of suspense, gripping and a real page turner, read it over two days. Perhaps a little far fetched towards the end but did not deter from the story.

Not read any of Doug Johnstone's books before but will definitely be downloading more in the future and I can thoroughly recommend this one.
on 26 July 2014
This was the first book I have read by this author. It is not the usual genre of book I would read either. Having said that I really did enjoy it and could hardly put it down. However, I feel the book didn't have an ending and that is why I only gave it four stars. Will definitely read more by this author though.
on 1 February 2016
I didn't know that this book had references to places in Edinburgh when I purchased it. It brought back Memories as I was brought up in Duddingston. The story was Scary but very well written. Good Read.
on 28 May 2015
Brilliant - a frustrating read - in a good way I mean, frustrating because I wanted to know if everything was going to be alright,and that there wasn't a huge twist where all my illusions were shattered. Kept me riveted to the end and I'm off to download more Doug Johnstone books.
on 22 February 2015
Great book,the story pulls you in. You can just feel the pain of all the trauma they experience. Don't want to give much away, at times I thought Mark's actions were reckless but who knows how we would react given the same circumstances. At times it was very emotional and by the end it had me in buckets!!! Great read!!
on 3 June 2015
A good, fast paced plot about a missing wife and mother. Her husband, not convinced about the police's investigation takes matters into his own hands with interesting consequences.an enjoyable read.
I really enjoyed this book! It was a page turner, exciting, heartbreaking and heart warming! Worth a read! Great price for download too!