1,429

on 18 August 2013
In my opinion this book may suit a much younger reader. I quickly became bored with the girl meets boy story line. I felt Derek the vampire had serious identity issues and the main characters were unconvincing and the story shallow. I won't be reading any more in the series. I feel there are some amazing Vampire, Shape shifter writers but Bella is not one of them yet.
on 2 June 2016
Heard a lot about this book so I thought I'd give it a go. Must say I wasn't really impressed. Could have been a great story but feel it had been dulled down a bit due to the age group it's written for. Got a bit peeved about the whole 'one look at her and he had found the love of his life/saviour of his sole bla bla bla' plot which this story takes. It's rather lame and to be fair rather boring. Its a story trying to be up there with some of the bigger names but fails. A good read for teenagers but if you're after something that grips your soul and makes you NOT want to put the book down then I don't recommend it. Sorry.
on 2 August 2014
Can we say 'Stockholm syndrome'. This girl has no depth of character. Seriously? I like fantasy books and am pretty good at suspending reality, but nobody goes through the most terrifying event of their life to then snuggle down on the couch for a fun night of teaching your vampire captor how to use the TV. I found this book to be empty and painful to read. Even the relationship that Forrest was attempting to create with her human best friend seemed full of unnecessary angst and drama.
on 2 January 2013
I don't often write recommendations, but in this case I couldn't help myself.
After seeing all the positive reviews I was optimistic downloading this book. I couldn't have been more wrong. I found the book boring, lacking depth and below average.
The characters were either one-dimensional or cliche. I would not recommend this book.
on 8 July 2013
This book is definitely a recommended read! Had me gripped start to end . I think it balanced the right amount of love interest with action and can't. Wait to see what transpires between the brothers and Sofia ! Can't wait to read the rest of the series. Definitely one of the best vampire books I've read in a while !!!!!!!
on 5 April 2014
Vampire stories are not generally my thing. However, this book was recommended by someone who's opinion I trust, so I got a copy. I'm so glad I did. I tend not to do a book synopsis, as a books blurb explains the basic story; as do other reviewers. I like to give my own personal opinion, and in the case of this book...SUPERB!
The book is written in first person, which took me a while to get into. But once I did, I was on a roll.
The author also separated the two main characters, Sofia and Derek into separate chapters, which enables the reader to see each point of view, and get a greater insight into their thoughts.
For me, Sofia the main character had the right mix of vulnerability and strength. While Derek, was gorgeous, even though he was a vampire. I liked the fact he tried to hold on to his humanity.
As this is book one of a series, I did feel their relationship moved a little fast, and could have been developed more slowly in the ensuing books. Also it did end a little abruptly, but it seems the next book in the series is way longer.
This is not a genre I would normally bother to read. Nevertheless, I thoroughly enjoyed it,which is a credit to Bella Forrest's writing; especially as this is her debut novel.
This book was clean, exciting and fast moving. I look forward to trying the next book in the series.
on 27 February 2016
A Shade of Vampire popped up in a Facebook advert and seduced me with its high reviews. It said to be loved by Twilight lovers, for which I definitely fit the bill, so I decided to download it.

The premise itself is an odd one and I’m not sure that it always sat comfortably with me. On the night of her seventeenth birthday, Sofia is kidnapped and taken to the Shade. The Shade is a magical haven for vampires where it always remains night. She is to be given to the Royal Prince Derek, who is going to be woken from a magical sleep, to form part of his harem.

I think perhaps it might be because I have not read a YA book for a while, or even perhaps just a sign of my age, but the premise of the story, the sexual violence (not first hand to Sofia, but other characters in the story), felt wrong in a young adult book, particularly when all the kidnapped characters were seventeen.

The romance itself was pretty sedately paced and I guess age appropriate (yikes I am sounding old aren’t I?) for the market it was aimed at. But I think if the main characters had been adult or even a couple of years older, it might have worked better. Or maybe not…

Derek is unaware of the kidnapping practises of his family and is immediately drawn to Sofia. His lack of complicity makes the romance story work. The chemistry between them is sweet and sincere, but he does still go around killing people occasionally, which kind of drops him down on the hero scale.

Sofia comes across as young and inevitably conflicted, but she is sassy and kind too, and while Derek does sometimes get carried away with the blood lust thing, he has the whole dark and mysterious thing down. He is also incredibly gracious and caring around Sofia.

I would also like to add that the story is mega cheesy. There are a couple of sayings that are repeated in the book that kind of set my teeth on edge, for example:

‘I know an excuse when I hear one. Don’t you dare deceive yourself into believing that you’re the victim…’

Now I should state that I didn’t hate this book, although I do appear to be complaining about it a lot. It was an easy read and the cliffhanger ending leaves you wanting more.

Actually, after I finished the first book I did have a brief ooh shall I buy the next one and see what happens moment, before I decided it wasn’t for me.

But, if you look at a summary of the book, you’re talking about a seventeen year old girl who’s kidnapped to be a sexual slave for a killer. Ok, that is completely over simplifying things, but on a couple of occasions it did all feel a bit icky. Others have loved this book, as I said – I was seduced by its high reviews – it was an easy read and an entertaining book, even if it wasn’t to my taste.
on 24 January 2016
This was a pile of drivel!

The Twilight wannabe that just couldn't.

The main character literally doesn't have a personality? And of course there was the insta-love. Broody McTortured, the hero, was obviously there.

And was there even a plot to this? Cause if there was, I couldn't find it amongst pitiful attempts to write a romance.

Save yourself the headache and steer clear!

DNF @ 45%
on 30 January 2013
I very rarely leave a book but I can't finish this. The characters are ok but it just doesn't ever get going. If it's building up to something there is no sign of it at the halfway point. Buy something else.
on 5 November 2013
I downloaded this book only because it was advertised on Facebook and I had just finished reading a book and didn't know what to read next.
I found my self lost in this world and didn't want to put the book down, if you like this type of book than please read this book and hopefully you will get lost too. I'm just about to download the next.