Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

1,563

on 12 June 2016
I was recommended to read this book, being a Twilight fan, from a Facebook page.
Here's a few things I would mention from my own opinion:
** No Spoilers**

-Front cover is lovely
-There isn't many typos (if any!) which is amazing, great editing!
-The actual story is great and really makes you want to keep reading (I think I only picked this book up 5/6 times before i had finished it, easy to get lost in this one, if you got hooked you could read it in a day easily.. I was just trying to savor it)
-This book is very fast paced, everything seems to happen very quickly which can be good or bad, depending on the reader
- I feel like if your someone who finds it difficult to get into a book (usually the first chapter is a bore in many books) then you wont have any difficulties here
-Because of the pace of the book i feel a lot of detail is lost, which is what I personally love about books such as Twilight
-Although the book is 286 pages long, the font is huge! If your used to Twilight books you will certainly notice the difference in font size and how little writing is on each page
-I really like the setting of the story, I think 'The Shade' is very fascinating
-Suitable for teens (There is mentions of love making, but this is done quite subtly)
-Personally I like to actually have a paper or hard back copy in my hands rather than read online or on kindles ect, so I do feel that the price is maybe a little too high considering the size and font of the book compared to others (such as Twilight)
-Overall I did love the story line and the characters
-Very excited to get the second book (already ordered) and see what happens with Derek and Sofia next!

I would recommend giving this book a go, if you love vampires and romance then I'm sure you will love this book!
11 Comment| 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 January 2013
I don't often write recommendations, but in this case I couldn't help myself.
After seeing all the positive reviews I was optimistic downloading this book. I couldn't have been more wrong. I found the book boring, lacking depth and below average.
The characters were either one-dimensional or cliche. I would not recommend this book.
22 Comments| 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 January 2013
I very rarely leave a book but I can't finish this. The characters are ok but it just doesn't ever get going. If it's building up to something there is no sign of it at the halfway point. Buy something else.
on 5 May 2016
After noticing a few bad reviews about this book I thought it would be worth giving the point of view of someone who has read all twenty-six books, which is where the series is up to at present. Yes I am a self proclaimed Shaddict, you would be too if you knew what us Shaddicts do. Please do not be disheartened by the reviews of people that have not read past the first book, I can tell you this will be your loss.

Bella's writing is beautiful and I assure you that if you read the whole series, you will be at the edge of your seat waiting for the next instalment. Don't take my word for it though, go ahead and check reviews on some of the more recent additions - books twenty-five and twenty-six. By the time you've finished you will dream of living in The Shade!

Let Bella take you on a journey where you will see generations of amazing characters take on wars, fall in love and go on the most fabulous, magical adventures one can only dream of.

There are plot twists, drama and dreamy characters that you will fall in love with. You will want to tell your friends all about these adventures and when you do, you will find that there is a whole family of Shaddicts out there awaiting you on social media and wanting to share in your excitement of this epic series.

There are a lot of Twilight comparisons floating around the reviews but this series is absolutely nothing alike other than maybe the fact that it's a supernatural series. A Shade of Vampire is unique and I have yet to come across anything else like it. Go on the journey of The Shade, I dare you!
on 18 August 2013
In my opinion this book may suit a much younger reader. I quickly became bored with the girl meets boy story line. I felt Derek the vampire had serious identity issues and the main characters were unconvincing and the story shallow. I won't be reading any more in the series. I feel there are some amazing Vampire, Shape shifter writers but Bella is not one of them yet.
11 Comment| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 August 2014
Can we say 'Stockholm syndrome'. This girl has no depth of character. Seriously? I like fantasy books and am pretty good at suspending reality, but nobody goes through the most terrifying event of their life to then snuggle down on the couch for a fun night of teaching your vampire captor how to use the TV. I found this book to be empty and painful to read. Even the relationship that Forrest was attempting to create with her human best friend seemed full of unnecessary angst and drama.
on 27 February 2016
A Shade of Vampire popped up in a Facebook advert and seduced me with its high reviews. It said to be loved by Twilight lovers, for which I definitely fit the bill, so I decided to download it.

The premise itself is an odd one and I’m not sure that it always sat comfortably with me. On the night of her seventeenth birthday, Sofia is kidnapped and taken to the Shade. The Shade is a magical haven for vampires where it always remains night. She is to be given to the Royal Prince Derek, who is going to be woken from a magical sleep, to form part of his harem.

I think perhaps it might be because I have not read a YA book for a while, or even perhaps just a sign of my age, but the premise of the story, the sexual violence (not first hand to Sofia, but other characters in the story), felt wrong in a young adult book, particularly when all the kidnapped characters were seventeen.

The romance itself was pretty sedately paced and I guess age appropriate (yikes I am sounding old aren’t I?) for the market it was aimed at. But I think if the main characters had been adult or even a couple of years older, it might have worked better. Or maybe not…

Derek is unaware of the kidnapping practises of his family and is immediately drawn to Sofia. His lack of complicity makes the romance story work. The chemistry between them is sweet and sincere, but he does still go around killing people occasionally, which kind of drops him down on the hero scale.

Sofia comes across as young and inevitably conflicted, but she is sassy and kind too, and while Derek does sometimes get carried away with the blood lust thing, he has the whole dark and mysterious thing down. He is also incredibly gracious and caring around Sofia.

I would also like to add that the story is mega cheesy. There are a couple of sayings that are repeated in the book that kind of set my teeth on edge, for example:

‘I know an excuse when I hear one. Don’t you dare deceive yourself into believing that you’re the victim…’

Now I should state that I didn’t hate this book, although I do appear to be complaining about it a lot. It was an easy read and the cliffhanger ending leaves you wanting more.

Actually, after I finished the first book I did have a brief ooh shall I buy the next one and see what happens moment, before I decided it wasn’t for me.

But, if you look at a summary of the book, you’re talking about a seventeen year old girl who’s kidnapped to be a sexual slave for a killer. Ok, that is completely over simplifying things, but on a couple of occasions it did all feel a bit icky. Others have loved this book, as I said – I was seduced by its high reviews – it was an easy read and an entertaining book, even if it wasn’t to my taste.
on 28 July 2014
A good read (took me two hours start to finish) well written. Loved the alternating chapters between the characters POV.
However it's very much a twilight style book which I feel is aimed more for the teenage/ young adult reader. I will keep an eye out for the author's future work as I did like the style of writing but there just wasn't enough action for me in this story.
I feel this book could have been twice as long with more depth to the characters and their relationship.
on 6 October 2013
I bought this book purely for the vampire theme. Writing is amateur at best, plot very predictable. I couldn't get past a third of the book. This is definitely for teen readers.
on 5 April 2014
Vampire stories are not generally my thing. However, this book was recommended by someone who's opinion I trust, so I got a copy. I'm so glad I did. I tend not to do a book synopsis, as a books blurb explains the basic story; as do other reviewers. I like to give my own personal opinion, and in the case of this book...SUPERB!
The book is written in first person, which took me a while to get into. But once I did, I was on a roll.
The author also separated the two main characters, Sofia and Derek into separate chapters, which enables the reader to see each point of view, and get a greater insight into their thoughts.
For me, Sofia the main character had the right mix of vulnerability and strength. While Derek, was gorgeous, even though he was a vampire. I liked the fact he tried to hold on to his humanity.
As this is book one of a series, I did feel their relationship moved a little fast, and could have been developed more slowly in the ensuing books. Also it did end a little abruptly, but it seems the next book in the series is way longer.
This is not a genre I would normally bother to read. Nevertheless, I thoroughly enjoyed it,which is a credit to Bella Forrest's writing; especially as this is her debut novel.
This book was clean, exciting and fast moving. I look forward to trying the next book in the series.
11 Comment| 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse