on 20 September 2015
When it works, it works well, but it's not particularly stable when extending the range of our Virgin Media Hub. Easy to set up either using the quick set up. Once we started using it we came across a few issues either - it would drop signal with no warning or it would ask for the admin password and try to log into the extender. The same occurred on two laptops, two iPads, and iPhone and a Samsung Note 3.

The second and more serious issue is to do with the default web configuration page. For simplicity the original firmware allows it to be accessed using tplinkextender.net however if it connects to the actual site on the web rather than the router then malware is downloaded (TP Link didn't think to buy and secure this domain) This is a major problem and I found it trying to visit the actual website even when I was configuring the extender.

You can prevent this issue by downloading new firmware here http://www.tp-link.com/en/download/TL-WA860RE_V1.html#Firmware (you'll need to unzip the file) then disconnecting your original wi-fi point from the net (keep it on - just disconnect the physical internet cable), then plugging in and configuring the extender as per instructions, accessing the extender on http://192.168.0.20/, and using the firmware upgrade on the extender's menu to install the new firmware. You can now reconnect the internet cable to your wi-fi point and safely use the extender.

To be honest, I don't know why the product wasn't recalled by TP-Link'. It's totally inexcusable to expose purchasers to this risk
77 comments| 175 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 December 2013
First to get honesty out the way , although a very regular customer I bought mine from Argos , it was £1 dearer but I had a £10 voucher to use up and have just got a new tablet so wanted to see if I could extend my Wi-Fi now without waiting the few extra days for delivery.

Now I am usually one of those unlucky or jinxed so and so,s so especially around Christmas time no matter how "simple" or "plug and go" or "universal" or easy to set up and gadgets and gizmos are that I usually end up spending hours getting the damned things working , if I have resisted the temptation to simply bin it.

However with this Extender I as normal opted for the easy option first plugged it in pressed the wps button on the router , pressed the button on the extender and after about 90 seconds it was sorted.
The one thing I found perhaps its just me the process of the flashing lights and in particular what should and should not be flashing could be better explained as I at first thought I was having my usual gadget problems until it dawned on me that it was ok.

I must admit I did not waste ant time trying different spots for it , I already knew where my Wi-Fi was weakest , the kitchen , conservatory and living room , plugged it in the kitchen switched on tablet and BANG full strength Wi-Fi.

I am very very pleased both with the item and with myself for buying it.

I would not put anyone off buying one of these as its worked for me.
66 comments| 212 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 August 2013
I had reservations as to whether this would do what it said, so just bought one to begin with. (On this occasion it was for my son's house where there are two levels separated by reinforced concrete floors and thick concrete walls.) I tried one and found it easy to set up the link with the unit close to the router, then by moving it to other locations to see what the signal strength was (even a single bar on the blue indicator scale seems enough) it was possible to find an optimum position to extend the range. After that I went on to get a second one and spread the coverage further. We may go for a third one after experimenting with these two for a while. Plus, after upgrading my own router I will seriously consider trying one or more in my own house. (I need to find out what the range is like anyway with the new router.) It is essential the router has a "WPS" button on it for initial setup, in which case it's only necessary to press that followed by the one on the link and the rest is just automatic. The new area covered by the range extender seems to be lifted to full strength as though close to the router itself, so all devices like smartphones and tablets work fine and laptops don't need hard wired links by e.g. ethernet links over the power system. I had heard that these extenders can be "daisychained" and so relay from one to another, but some elementary tests I carried out seemed to indicate that each one needed to pick up the signal from the router itself so requires to be within range of that.
11 comment| 80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 January 2015
As a bit of a gadget geek i do like to try things out. This is a great wifi extender and i use mine to extend wifi to my garage at the bottom of my garden for my Sonos system. Thats about 30m - remember that angle of signal and wall type;thickness and number between source and target have an effect on range. The through socket is great too for those of us with not many sockets
on 29 August 2014
Okay - I'll start by saying that this review is for the RE200 AC750 dual band range extender - for some reason Amazon have lumped all the reviews for a few similar TP-Link range extenders into the pot here, which can be a little confusing.

I'm a big TP-Link fan - I've had a couple of their ADSL routers, and the latest (dual band TDW8980) is great. I've also had one of their earlier range extenders (WA830RE) which has worked brilliantly for us. But I wanted a range extender that would take advantage of the router's 2.4GHz & 5GHz connections - hence the decision to buy the RE200.

First impressions - it's small and neat - aesthetically much nicer than the WA830RE it replaced. No external aerials to fit and angle appropriately - and although this makes it more pleasing to the eye (and therefore acceptable to my other half), I fear that's ultimately its downfall when it comes to performance. The signal strength on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz connections is not as good or consistent as the 2.4GHz wireless connection we were getting from its predecessor ( sited in exactly the same location). The connection rises and falls from full strength to one bar frequently and for no obvious reason. So I am rather disappointed, though if we hadn't had the previous range extender to compare it to, I suspect my disappointment wouldn't have been quite so great.

On the plus side, it's a doddle to set up and it's never actually lost the connection - it's just frustratingly variable.
on 13 July 2013
Worked like a dream. I spent 2 mins reading the Quick Installation Guide, ignored the set-up disc and went for the WPS option. Plugged the unit in close to my router, pressed the WPS button on the router and then the button on the front of the unit. Less than a minute later had a solid blue light against the 'RE' LED ('wireless' light flashes - but that is the norm). Unplugged the unit and moved it into another room to extend the wireless signal into the garden. 30 secs or so later the 'RE' light was solid again and I was able to connect my iPad out in the garden. Even switched the unit off at the socket overnight and it quickly picked up the router again next morning.

If you have a WPS button on your router, forget the install disc - you will just be making life hard for yourself!
on 4 January 2016
Cheap and easy way to extend dual band 2.4 and 5ghz networks with ethernet too!

I got this product over the similar TPlink product as this also supports 5Ghz networks too.

you can use the same SSID or give it a new name for both the 2.4 and 5GHz networks respectively.

We now have full strength wifi throughout the house with the bonus that my daughter can plug her computer in via the ethernet port and have a wired connection.
on 15 August 2015
As I have been using TP-Link power line adapters for two years without issue I believed the addition of one of their wireless extenders to cover a couple of dead spots in the house was the obvious choice. My current router is plugged into the main phone socket which is situated to one side of the house. The kitchen/family room is at the other extreme and whilst 95% of the time I can get a signal, occasionally it will drop out. The bedroom above the kitchen suffers more whilst any connection in the seating area of the garden, which is to the kitchen side of the house, is nigh impossible. It was these areas I needed to improve.

Firstly pairing the extender to the router takes, as described, under two minutes and is very simple or at least should be. I followed the quick pairing via the WPS button and as the instructions stated waited for the wireless strength lights to go solid. They did not. After several resets and attempts with the same result I moved to the second method using my laptop, which if all works correctly should only take a few minutes more than the WPS method. Lights continued to flash that shouldn't. After some frustrating time I decided to try the extender in it's intended place despite the lights flashing. As described, apart from the flashing lights, the unit took 30 seconds or so to re establish connection with the router when plugged back in. To my amazement it worked brilliantly giving wireless signal to the previously uncovered area. I also used the ethernet socket to connect up a smart TV which again worked very well. Later that day I contacted TP-Link customer help via their online chat to query the flashing lights that should not. Surprisingly I was told that as the unit functioned not to worry. Perhaps then the instructions should say the lights may flash or they may not!

Two days after initial installation I needed to print some papers via my wireless Hp printer. It would not work. Two very frustrating hours of trying to
get the printer back online were only resolved when I discovered that if the wireless extender was switched off the printer sprung to life, switch the extender on and the printer refused to work. I then discovered that my Kindle HD Fire suffered in the same way. Extender on, No Kindle Fire internet, extender off, Kindle Fire works.Very odd? More hours spent trawling the internet for a solution to this problem which appears to be quite common by the amount of questions about it online. None of the suggested solutions worked.

Again I contacted TP-Link via their online chat. Nothing they suggested resolved the problem.I was little bemused when the advisor suggested that I had no internet connection via my main router as I was actually chatting online to her via it! Another two hours and the final suggestion is that the brand NEW extender needs a software update. I was directed to the TP-Link download pages and advised if their was any issues to re contact them. Now I'm no computer expert but I do know how to operate one and can normally understand and resolve most issues but these download instructions were incomprehensible. So I had three options; 1) live with the fact that each time I needed to use my printer or Kindle I had to turn the extender off. 2) Join the Open University and obtain a degree in computer science so I could download the new software which judging by some of the advice given by TP-Link was not guaranteed to work. 3) Return the extender and accept there are a couple of Wi-Fi dead spots in the house.

Quess what? I choose option 3. Life is just too short.
44 comments| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Style Name: 300 Mbps|Size: N300|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This TP-Link unit comes in a beautifully presented classy white box clearly modelled on those for Apple's Temple of Shiny products. Slide it out and the Range Extender 13A wall plug inside looks the part, with its superb white gloss looks and (very) bright circle of blue LEDs. In amongst the box is the small mini CD containing the full manual as pdf, and a short grey RJ45 network cable for the WiFi plugs optional single 10/100 Mbps network socket. The Range Extender supports n/g/b wireless with WEP, WPA/WPA2-PSK encryptions. I plugged the TP-Link Range Extender into a 13A socket next to my WiFi router as suggested.

I have a D-Link DIR-655 Pre-n/g/b WiFi router with a 4-port 1Gb switch, beefed up with D-link's high gain DWL-50AT antennae. The router has the easy link 'WPS button' to automatically connect to other network devices similarly endowed, like this Range Extender Plug. Initially I didn't get anywhere pushing both the WPS buttons, they didn't connect. Then I found if I pushed the Range Extenders front button once, and then let the flashing WiFi active LED come on for a while, and then pushed the DIR-655 Router WPS button, and then pushed the TP-link button a second time, the two mated perfectly. The rows of LEDs on the Range Extender plug all flashed on and off for a minute or so while connecting, and then the Wireless LED stayed flashing, the `RE' LED remained on, and all 5 LEDs of the signal strength meter lit up (the Extender plug was around 10 feet from the router). This meant that my D-Link router and the TP-Link range extender had mated 'for life' and now it's a simple matter to unplug the range extender and replug it back in, in any weaker WiFi signal area, where you have say a laptop or netbook struggling to connect. If the WPS button doesn't work, the Range Extender can be set up manually using an internet browser (no software required), either by WiFi or by connecting the PC to the Range Extender using it's wired network port. The only thing I don't like about the TP-link plug, other than dazzling blue LEDs, is that there's no 13A socket on it to pass through the mains, so the unit clogs up a valuable 13A socket. And it's tall form blocks sockets on some distribution boards and is unsuitable for 2 or 3 way 13A adaptors.

As a try-out check I found the place in our bungalow front room where our wireless `g' 54 Mbps Dell Studio 17" laptop could only connect to the main D-Link router with a low (3 yellow bars) signal, saying just 36 Mbps. Plugging the TP-Link Range Extender in nearby (on an extension lead as most 13A wall sockets are buried behind things) and software disconnecting the laptop from the WiFi and reconnecting it, the Range Extender instantly upped the laptop's signal to 'excellent' 5 green bars and a full 54 Mbps speed. However all is not what it seems, using Totusoft's cheap LaN Speed Test app, the 'low' 3 yellow connection's real world speed was writing files across the network at 18 Mbps and reading files at 10 Mbps, well down from an excellent signal nearer the router of 22 Mbps for both. However via the range extender and it's `excellent signal', the Lan Speed Test app reported just 13 Mbps file write and 15 Mbps read - not a disaster and very reliable, but little better than the previous 'low' connection speed. This is simply because of how the range extender works. To quote the manual: "TP-LINK recommends that you connect to the Range Extender when your home network connection is poor, or when you want to eliminate "dead zones". In compliance with the wireless transmission protocol, the Range Extender is set to work in half-duplex not full-duplex mode. In other words, the Range Extender has to process one-way communication between your Wireless router and the clients. So the transmission time will be double-increased, while the speed will be decreased." By 'decreased', they mean that your network speed can be halved. In fact if I plug the range extender in an excellent high Wifi signal area and use it, our laptop's network file read/write speed immediately drops from 22 Mbps to 12 Mbps. So this Range Extender really is best used for blackspots in the WiFi where the connection is too weak with drop-outs to be useful - and here the TP-link Range Extender should work quite well. Elsewhere don't connect to the Range extender and keep the internet connection established before the Range Extender was powered up. As the range extender connects to the router automatically when plugged in (once mated), it's easy to just drag it out and plug it in when needed. In areas where the connection is rated low but completely reliable, it could be better to avoid using it. Our Range Extender keeps the memory of our router for weeks when disconnected from the mains, and it can remember previous routers it has been mated to. If you have a matching 300Mbps TP-Link wireless router and TP-Link 300Mbps network card in the PC/Laptop you could get network file read/write speeds running typically 3 to 4 times faster than our 54 Mbps wireless 'g' laptop, although there will still be that half duplex hit on the '300Mbps' networking speed networking via this TP-Link Ranger Extender (we prefer using the laptop internal 'g' cards as the 300Mbps 'n' laptop adaptors are quite bulky and get in the way, and our internet speed is only 6Mbps max anyway).

So within the limitations of the device, this TP-Link Range Extender works quite well. Sadly, or rather happily, in our house we don't use it often as all the desktop PC and TV's have a wired network option using our 13A mains wiring network system which provides a reliable 80 to 120 Mbps connection throughout the house (see D-Link DHP-P501AV/B Powerline 500M Homeplug AV Passthrough Starter Kit). As the D-Link PowerLine mains wired solution is superior, we don't bother with the TP-Link's optional 10/100 Mbps cable port at the base of the Extender plug (although it works well). Our WiFi signal is reserved for the likes of smartphones, an iPad and our iPod Touch's, but we find this range extender is mostly useful when used with our laptops and a netbook, as they are more difficult to move about for signal, and easier to wirelessly connect to the TP-Link Extender plug. So I think it's a 4* product, provided you have a real WiFi blackspot area and don't want to go down an alternative 13A wired PowerLine cable route. When ordering, make sure you get sent the one you want, as there are both 13A UK/Ire and Europlug versions.

Update 2015: Our D-Link 500AVs were getting a bit flakey after many years use so I replaced them with a Devolo dLAN 650+ Starter Kit and Devolo dLAN 650+ Single Adapter. I have to say the Devolo dLAN 500 Wi-Fi Adapter was far easier to integrate into the Develo powerline series than this TP-Link WiFi adapter, plus the Devolo control software is superior (e.g. can it automatically update the firmware on any adaptor in the network). And our new Devolo 500 powerline WiFi network speed is much faster than this TP-Link unit as it runs as a seperate WiFi network node from the main router (i.e. full speed, with no half duplex).
review image
55 comments| 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 5 October 2015
Style Name: AC1900 Mbps|Size: AC Dual Band|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have been very impressed with this Wi-Fi range extender which I've now had the pleasure of using for 24 hours.

Essentially this product takes your existing Wi-Fi network and amplifies the signal that it receives, thereby extending your network.

The key to this is that it is great at picking up the network and then sending it out again just as strong if not stronger than before.

Set up wasn't too hard, I just used the accompanying software and followed the steps.

Once it had been installed it was a bit of an anticlimax, it just worked. the signal was way way stronger, in-fact it covered a fair few more houses than just ours. Which was perfect, as there's no 3G or 4G in our area.

The actual device is fairly small and unobtrusive - I liked the addition of 5 Ethernet ports on the router, it meant we could easily connect our desktop and printers (finally moving our printers away from the old router which was badly placed but had to be there due to the phone connection).

So when should you buy this? Well if you have a Wi-Fi network which isn't strong enough to cover your whole home or if you find that the speeds drop in parts of your home. This just looks like any other router - in fact it's quite stylish.

In theory if you have a ridiculously large home you could have two of these plus your original router - but I don't think that this would be necessary given how powerful this is.

This is a great product that is well made and easy to set up. 5 stars