I really have loved my Kindle fire, I have also purchased newer versions as they have come available. This is going to be a short review but if you want a tablet that is powerful has access to the web, has a great screen, good sound abilities then look no further. Now my only drawback is the apps they are not as varied as the likes of the ipad but that is down to operating system I guess. Final word, for the price it is a very competitive machine and is far cheaper than most of its rivals.
on 15 December 2016
I've purchased two of these HD 7's - onoth without ads - one for my wife and the other for my sister.

Size wise they are just right for holding in one hand although with the optional Amazon leather case fitted they are not exactly featherweights.

I find the large format icons that you can flip through really easy to use and the display quality for video and reading is very good, although it almost goes without saying that you can only really use it for reading inside. Outside you cannot really see the screen clearly unless it's a very dull day.

My wife keeps hers next to the bed, which is where a lot of Kindles live I guess, and it is charged every week or so. In between it's on battery so it lasts pretty well, unless my daughter secretly plays games on it in which case we tend to find it flat...but I don't think that's the fault of the HD 7.

Very occasionally it needs to be rebooted - most recently seemingly caused by Candy Crush - but generally speaking it works reliably.

I take a star away for Amazon's somewhat annoying lockdown policy that prevents you from deleting some apps.

So, in summary:

Pros
- Dependable
- Screen quality for video and inside reading
- Battery life for normal use

Cons
- No lightweight when fitted with an Amazon leather case
- Not suitable for reading outside
- Amazon lockdown policy

I hope you found this review of help. Thanks.
The Kindle is now my favourite gadget

We now have three of these in the house and I am the newest convert / user.

Why do I need it ?
In one gadget I can now listen to my music, see my photos and show others, read books and check my emails when I am out and about. I use it all the time and it has cut down on the amount of stuff I have to carry.
Being in my 50’s I was not prepared to spend a huge amount on a tablet and for what I do the Kindle Fire HD does everything I want. The ease of using music is great – all my Amazon purchases from years back were there ready for me to download. I did not have to copy Cd’s etc. It was all just there in my Amazon account – brilliant!
I have downloaded lots of the free books and have really enjoyed my return to many of the classics of my childhood.

Convenience
It’s all about convenience – my entire tech is there if I want it in one easy to use tablet. Yes the iPad might be slightly slicker and do a bit more but for me the Kindle is a great toy that is always with me.
I have recently downloaded a few films on it which kept me entertained on a long journey. The unit is very versatile.

Any drawbacks
So far for me I have none but I am not a power user. My daughter who is a power user seems to do a lot more with hers but she lives on the net and keeps up to date with all her friends, she has not complained about any limitations.
on 26 November 2013
I wouldn't be without my Kindle HD now. I previously had the original Kindle for reading and then used to borrow my boyfriends iPad for web browsing. I wanted to upgrade my kindle but was worried that the HD wouldn't be as user friendly for internet searching as the iPad. I needn't have worried. Though I primarily use the Kindle to read, and wade through pinterest I frequently go online and browse. Though the screen size is small and therefore not ideal for long periods of time on the web, for short bursts it perfect. The battery life is unbelievable and it's lightweight to carry around with me.
on 27 February 2017
Bought as a present for my partner who had original kindle. Fantastic, she wouldn't be without it. One downside it takes along time to charge,
on 5 January 2013
The Kindle Fire HD made an excellent Christmas present, it does mostly everything I want it to and is a very neat piece of tech.

From reading other reviews it seems everyone uses the Kindle Fire in a number of different ways but usually with a particular idea of how it suits them best. Mine is watching films and TV. The Videos section loads up Love Film automatically as its Amazon's company and device, but you can also download the Netflix app from the Amazon App Store. This suits me as I have a subscription for both.

Also interesting for movies is the Flixster App, if you've noticed on some DVDs and Blu Ray films, they come with a UV (Ultra Violet) copy. Using the Flixster site online I have been able to redeem vouchers for movies I already own on DVD and then using the Flixster app on the Kindle Fire download these into the device. This means if I'm on a train/ car journey/ flight, I can watch one of the downloaded films without needing a wifi connection.

The Games are also better than I had expected, I've downloaded Football Manager 2013 on it for £7, cheaper than the PSP or PS Vita versions and works in the same way. Brilliant and addictive. Also good is the Need for Speed game which uses the tablet to steer the car depending on which way you tilt it. So there is plenty of opportunity for fun interactive games on the Kindle Fire.

Also great is the quick and easy access to emails, the internet and previous Amazon music, and kindle e book purchases. You can access these from the "The Cloud", for the uninitiated like myself this is like a big storage space in the internet. So you can download your pick of what you have to your Kindle Fire. You can even email things like word documents to a kindle email and use them on the Kindle Fire.

The only downside for the e reader function is the backlight, you can adjust brightness but for me I'll be sticking to my Kindle e reader for books as the magnetic ink is easier on the eyes than the backlit screen.

Other downsides include compatibility with certain software. The Kindle doesn't seem to have Adobe Flash Player which is a drawback for using some sites, as you won't be able to. For example ITV Player can't be accessed, so if there's a live football game you fancy watching in your office in the background whilst doing some work on your laptop, you can't. Flash players are advertised in the app store but most user reviews show they haven't worked in the way they were hoped to. More for using files you already have than online content.

However, BBC I player is available and you can watch some live shows on BBC using this or catch up, which is great.

Great for skyping as well, the microphone isn't awkwardly placed so you don't have to speak up or put the Kindle next to your mouth (and away from the camera) to be heard clearly and thus negate the point of Video calling.

The only real downside I can think of is that despite being HD, not all the content you can access is HD, eg. Netflix, (but this isn't Amazon's fault it's Netflix's) but Love Film is usually HD films. Also the Kindle Fire isn't always compatible with some of the things you might like it to be.

As far as tablets go having shopped around the price is better than an iPad, but you should check out the Google Nexus before buying. This is another highly rated tablet and may suit your needs better than the Kindle Fire. As it is made by Samsung but run through Google, most things are compatible I hear.

Overall very happy with my Kindle Fire HD and give it 5 stars. Having played around with an iPad, my own opinion is that they are overrated for the price you pay and even less compatible in some respects than the Kindle Fire, e.g. printing seems much easier to set up on the Kindle, but that's just my opinion.
on 30 June 2016
Kindles are great but one weakness is the micro usb port which is rubbish. This is my second one and the port failed. . My first kindle broke before a year with the same problem.
on 4 November 2012
I have had a Kindle for two years and love it. The Fire HD is definitely heavier and less easy to hold one-handed, but it's so much fun that I can overlook that. I've not had a touch-screen device before, but found the Fire pretty intuitive, and where I get stuck, my 10 year-old daughter shows me the way (even though she has never had access to a touch screen before). It is good for reading and the backlit screen makes it a godsend for reading in a low-lit room. My only crticism, so far is the short battery life and the lack of 3G, but a little organisation on my part overcomes this.
on 17 March 2014
Got this predominantly for reading because it was on offer but, had initially been looking at the paperwhite! My friend talked me into this as it had more uses, although I couldn't imagine what else I would want it for. I now have all sorts on it, books, music, games, Facebook, iPlayer etc. I'm sure there are many more Aps that I will be unable to live without so, for once, my friend was correct. It's very easy to use and I love it.
on 3 August 2016