on 27 February 2013
My usual experience with third-party accessories has never been particularly good however, having used some of Anker's products before I was more than happy to give the dual-port car charger a go. As usual, the delivery service via amazon.co.uk was fantastic and the item was delivered in perfect condition. The charger is delivered in a small box, containing the charger and a small yet informative instruction manual.

The charger is of good quality with a reassuring weight, a lovely coiled micro-usb lead, a spare usb port and a small blue light that indicates that the charger is installed and working correctly. Since receiving the charger, around seven days ago, I have been using it ever since to charge an iPhone 5 and an in-car bluetooth speaker. The experience has been flawless. The charger sits very well within my VW Golf and is not at all obtrusive however, this is clearly dependent on where your car lighter is located within your car. The charging experience has been excellent, very quick, very responsive and I have not experienced any loose connections resulting in a non-charge. Anker state that this particular charger has been optimised for both Android and Apple devices, resulting in quicker charges, and I can definitely vouch for this on my iPhone 5 and iPad 2. In regards to Android devices, I did not have any to test but my bluetooth car speaker which uses micro-usb to charge certainly charged a lot quicker in comparison to previous experiences.

If I had to pick at something, I wish that Anker had provided an Apple 30 pin or lighting port lead however, at this cost I can understand why they did not.

In conclusion, I use the charger everyday, it has not caused me any aggravation, the devices that it has been used to charge are still working without a glitch, my devices are charging a lot quicker and the cost of this experience is quite reasonable. It would be fair to say that I am very with the chargers performance so far.

Oh and if you do experience an issue, it is always nice to know that Anker offer an 18 month warranty for the product too.

Hope this helps guys!
on 26 January 2013
Having a nokia lumia which a fairly power hungry phone a car charger is a must, I have had several 1 amp USB car chargers in various shapes and forms and they usually are only really good at maintaining the battery level, but don't seem to put much charge in if any.

I was happy to see that after my first use of the this the battery level had noticeably increased and was fully charged by the end of my journey (starting at 50% before hand).

This works well with us as we have a car with only 1 lighter socket attached, and with a second USB cable both my wife and myself can charge our phones at the same time.

The built in cable is coiled, which although it doesn't feel like it would reach a great distance is actually a lot neater then using a non coiled cable around the dash. (May sound irrelevant but i was surprised the difference it made locating the cable etc.)

The blue LED is inoffensive and can clearly see it's working.

I would imagine that this would be extra beneficial for the higher powered usb devices such as ipads etc.

Definitely would recommend this to a friend as the cheaper lower power alternatives very often seem to fail to keep up with high powered smart phones etc.
on 18 October 2013
I spent a long time looking for a decent car charger for my Galaxy S2.

I wanted to be able to charge a tablet, my wife's iPad, her iPhone, my JawboneUP wristband and assorted other things so the ideal device was one with a bonded cable and microUSB connector for the phone and most other microUSB devices, plus a USB port for the rest. This is exactly what I wanted.

The charger is very well made; it feels really solid and is quite small. The cable to the USB connector is coiled; it's outer insulation is quite stiff, at least in a cooler country, so if the cable is coiled the wrong way the loops might distort. However, the stiffness means it feels less likely to damage the inner conductors through over-flexing and certainly feels tough enough to withstand getting caught in the assorted nooks and crannies in any car.

The electrical contacts are very well made; the outer ones are recessed, sprung metal buttons rather than bent bits of wire. The connector on the end of the cable is good quality as is the USB port. It doesn't get very hot in use, but that would depend on what you're charging and heat is to be expected from these devices.

It comes beautifully packaged, it would make a great gift.

Better still, just after buying it, Anker contacted me (via automated helpdesk, but when I tested it, a real person replied) to check if I was happy with the purchase and if they could help in any way.

A good product from a company that cares about it's customers. I'll look out for their products in future.

Highly recommended.
on 11 November 2013
Pretty much does what it says it does. I run a tablet as my front end as part of my ICE installation, the USB is connected to my phone dock. This device is able to keep up with charging demands for both my phone & tablet when in full use (screen permanently on & bluetooth/gps etc. in use). Impressed considering I used to have a hard-wired charger behind the dash which cost a lot more & kept over heating & cutting out charge (to just one device!). This hasn't failed me yet.
on 25 June 2014
We took this on holiday to America for a 7day road trip to power both a satnav and charge multiple things via the spare port (phones, ipods, cameras etc). It did this very well of course being able to charge my high draw Samsung Note 3 very quickly indicating it can indeed output at 2amp while powering something else at 1amp.

The built in coiled micro usb cable isn't particularly flexible and doesn't want to extend too much so don't assume that it will reach your windowscreen from the center console without a huge amount of tension. it does however spring back and maintaining its neat look.

This unit is above average in terms of power so be aware the first time you use at full power e.g. tablet + phone that it may pop a fuse on some older/classic cars where the electrics aren't that powerful and were not intended to do anything than more than heat a popout cig lighter for a few seconds compared the possible high draw over a several hours of charging gadgets.

On one of the hire cars(2013 Chevy Camaro SS) on connection it did pop a fuse, this may or may not have been due to the condition of the abused car but is at the back of my mind every time I try it in a new car. It might be an isolated case as every other car since(roughly 7) has shown no issue.
on 10 April 2014
There's not much you can say about a charger but I'm happy with this one. It's a much tighter fit than my old one (VW T5 socket) which is good as it's unlikely to wobble out. The coiled cable is a good balance between chunky charger cables of old and using included cables with flap in the wind. The plastic used is of a good quality and it feels like an item that will last. I've got a Samsung Galaxy S4 so apps like current widget won't display precise charging rates. Suffice to say my old 'normal' charger gives '0 mAh' charging (ie charges the phone slowly when driving with satnav & back ups going on, etc) while this gives '1 mAh' charging, a higher rate, even if the phone stops the precise rate being displayed.
If you were looking to buy as a present it comes in very smart packaging rather than just a cellophane bag like cheaper chargers do. There isn't a charging LED which is a positive/negative depending on your view. Personally I only used the led to see if the charger had stayed in place. As this is a tighter fit, I don't think I need worry.
on 6 February 2013
Just a quick word of warning to anyone who has a car lighter socket which is directly in front of the gear stick - this item is not 2.05" long as it says in the technical details, but is actually just over 4" long. I specifically chose it because my Nissan Qashqai has about 2" clearance between the gear stick and the socket so it needed to protrude from the socket as small a distance as possible.

Received the item, but as it so long there is no room to plug anything into the iPad socket and change gear safely, so unfortunately I've had to return it. I used an Anker battery in my Galaxy S2 and it was an excellent product, so I'm sure that this would be as good but it is no use in my vehicle, and I thought I should warn others of this potential problem. Someone needs to update the details to ensure that they are accurate.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 20 June 2014
Looks good, solid and like it will work for a long time. So far so good, it charges my mobile quickly in the car, so it' more than just a top up. I like the extra slot for apple devices' cable, which I will use on long journeys to make sure my ipad is charged up and full when i get to destination despite streaming my long playlist by bluetooth from it to the car stereo.

The only reason i don't give 5 stars is that the instructions while handy, left me not knowing if the extra slot can be used for non apple cables, so it could be my lack of knowledge of the voltage/ampere/resistance specs but .... probably a few other people out there the same
Bought these for my Samsung Galaxy S3 phone.
The lead is convenient because it is always there. The instructions say that it has circuitry to recognise a Samsung phone and charge it as fast as it will charge, and that is obvious - it charges my phone very quickly, as fast as using the Samsung charger that the phone came with plugged into the mains, and without making the phone hot. Much faster than other car chargers I've used.
I use the spare port for the TomTom. Supposedly it is designed to recognise Apple phones, and I can only assume that it does.
on 22 June 2014
The build quality is very good, the unit is stylish and functional. The first one that I received didn't work and had to send it back, which might indicate a quality control problem. If it wasn't for that, I would have given 5 starts!

EDITED: I was contacted by Anker and they apologised for the faulty charger and offered me a free one. As I had already bought another one, that is working perfectly fine, I kindly declined the offer, but was so positively surprised that I'm increasing the review score to 5 stars.