Format: Audio Download|Change
Price:£14.85

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 16 September 2012
After the disappointment of my last crime read it was heartening to seek sanctuary in the criminal bosom of Michael Robotham. Robotham is a firm favourite of mine and once again provides a fine lesson in the craft of crime fiction with an utterly absorbing read. Drawing closely on real-life incidences of child abduction Robotham weaves a compelling tale focusing on the case of two missing teenage girls and the changing public perceptions of the both the case and the two as individuals under the glare of media scrutiny and the heightened sense of purpose the police investigation gains when one of the girls turns up dead. Once again clinical psychologist Joe O'Loughlin is called to assist in this troubling case and with the help of retired policeman Vincent Ruiz, seeks to determine the whereabouts of the remaining missing girl. The plot is taut and throws up many a quandary for our loveable duo as the investigation unfolds in different directions but what this book highlights more than most is Robotham's consistently great characterisation.

This was particularly noticeable in Robotham's portrayal of Piper Hadley a sporty and slightly ungainly teenager but who during her enforced incarceration is revealed as a very perceptive and thoughtful girl grappling mentally and physically with the challenges of the danger she finds herself in. The sections of the book where she narrates her day-to-day suffering at the hands of her abductor are truly moving and incredibly well-realised. I liked the way that her experiences are offset by the traumas caused by Joe's own teenage daughter Charlie as she navigates her way through these difficult years, at times to the chagrin of her father, as she herself has been held captive in a previous criminal investigation involving Joe. Hence Joe draws on the feelings he had when his own daughter was abducted to aid his own mission to try and ensure the safe return of Piper to her family. On the theme of characterisation we are once again witness to the good-natured ribbing and heartfelt friendship and respect between Joe and Vincent. I adore Vincent despite his propensity for being an eminently unsuitable husband but totally counterbalanced by his mix of intuitive and ballsy approach to police work retired or not. Joe also finds himself involved in a little extra-curricular romantic action which added another facet to plot as well highlighting his slightly rusty skills with the fairer sex!

All in all this is a great read with a perfectly balanced plot, skilled characterisation and dialogue and just a twist or two along the way to add to the tense and thrilling denouement.
on 12 October 2012
Say You're Sorry is one of the most gripping thrillers I have read in years. Dealing with the story of abduction and the way young women are seen in our society the book not only delivers toe-curling thrills but also takes a long hard look at sexuality and societal expectations. Throughout the book we not only see it from Joe O'Loughlin's POV but also have sight of the diary of Piper one of the young women who was abducted. Reading her story I was reminded of 'The Collector' and although the books are very different I think Robotham surpasses Fowles in delivering a wholly realistic narration of a young girl struggling in the most extreme circumstances. Cannot recommend this book highly enough.
on 17 February 2013
The author is a well accomplished writer within the thriller genre. Say you are sorry proves the point clearly.The psychological aspect is insightful and well researched. It is a complex subject, as it gives you an insight into the human mind and what triggers their behaviour. The tonne is straight away set from the opening pages. It is all ready, set and go from the first page, as if you are in a race circuit. The plot is gripping, thrilling and enthralling. It concerns the disappearance of two teenagers in a small town. What prompted their sudden disappearances? Clinical psychologist works in conjunction with the police force to assist in the investigation. His approach is different from the police. There are few suspects in the picture. It is a guessing game, as you never know what to expect. The trail becomes warm. The pace increases, as you flip every page.The author knows how to keep readers interested with a cracking plot. It is filled with a dark atmosphere and high levels of suspense. Michael Robotham's forte is writing quality thrillers.
on 9 April 2013
Clinical psychologist Joe O'Loughlin is back helping the police deal with the case of two girls who disappeared three years earlier. Vincent Ruiz, his ex-policeman buddy, plays a cameo role in providing support. The story is told here in two first person accounts, one being Joe's.

I have to admire Robotham's consistently high levels of skill as a narrator. The plot is well-constructed and throws up a number of viable contenders as possible kidnappers. He also writes with great insights and throws in occasional gems of wit. Joe is flawed, and medically burdened by Parkinson's, but remains such a likable character. His interactions with his friend Vincent also round things off for his followers, like me.

Some Amazon.com reviewers have criticised Robotham for writing a book about abuse. Although the core theme is disturbing, there is nothing graphic in the writing.

Robotham is a very impressive author and this book is up there with his best novels. 9/10
Ever since I read this author's brilliant Shatter (arguably the most exciting thriller I've ever read) I've been hoping for a repetition. Certainly, this novel is exciting and well-written, but still not in the same league.

Tash and Piper, teenage friends, disappeared three years ago, and hope for their safe recovery has faded. Until, that is, a fire in a farmhouse and the serendipitous presence of the psychologist Joe O'Loughlin, cause it to be reopened (O'Louglin is a character known to fans of Rowbotham, and very likeable). The storyline is divided between first person narrative (O'Loughlin) and Tash's diary, and this works well. I did find the first two thirds of the novel a little slow, but the last part more than makes up for them as the story builds to its gripping climax. The novel is as much whodunnit as thriller, and when the final denouement came, I felt a little cheated. Some may have guessed the ending; I certainly wouldn't have (and so, no "oh, of course!" moment for me!). Also, one piece of extreme cruelty did strike me as unncessary - and would it really have happened? (no details to avoid spoilers. Anyone who has read the novel will know what I'm referring to).

But in conclusion, a good, enjoyable - in some parts, thrilling - read, although I'm still waiting for another Shatter!.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 22 December 2013
I've dipped in and out of Mr Robotham's series over the years and enjoyed them but they've never been on my "must read" list and this book doesn't change that for me. After disappearing three years ago there are now signs that Tash and Piper might be alive so the hunt is on. The story is told alternately in Piper's voice and as a straightforward narrative. The writing is gripping, very much "just another chapter" but I found the plot and especially the ending let it down. I don't want to throw in any spoilers but it seemed to me that Mr Robotham felt he needed another twist and so quickly pulled a perpetrator out of the hat with little explanation or build up. Don't get me wrong 90% of this book is really gripping and, in parts quite sad, so it is worth a read but not, in my opinion, worth 5 stars.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 3 October 2013
Bought this book for my wife, who is an avid reader but who had hit a bad run of books and was becoming disillusioned of ever finding a mystery/murder/adventure book that 'did it' for her. She complained that most stories were slow to get going, if at all, made up for lack of story with an abundance of descriptive flannel, were very similar to that already read, and were generally very disappointing.

Michael Robotham's "Say You're Sorry" saved the day, and from the moment she started reading it was totally captivated by it, and only drowsiness at night made her put the book down, or more accurately when it fell out of her hand onto the floor!. She didn't want the book to end, and was now gone on and ordered 4 other Robotham books to ensure good reading continuity. What do we do when the supply of his books runs out?
on 15 June 2014
After reading my first Michael Rowbotham novel I am hooked! He is everything I look for in a good author. Gripping story. Great and believable characters, humour and a mystery thriller. A chriminal psychologist who is unique. Human and witty. I'm on my second novel of his straight after I read SAY YOUR SORRY. It's called SHATTER I can't put it down. I have recommended it to friends and family and they are all hooked now! Can't wait to read the rest of this wonderful writer's other novels.
on 19 October 2015
A rollercoaster crime story. I loved it even if at first I hesitated over the story of two girls held captive for 3 years. Sensitively told with implied horror leaving the reader to fill in with their own imagination. This gives more satisfaction than shocking detail. A twist ending I hadn't expected.
I'll certainly buy more novels from this author
on 2 April 2015
I enjoyed this book tremendously. I read a lot of crime fiction, and this story really stood out. The story is tense and exciting and very well written. I found the book hard to put down. I will definitely be reading more books by this author.