on 2 April 2013
Ok so its just a cable what is there to review? Well if like most of us you have been looking for a spare lightning cable for your iphone5 / ipad 3 you didnt want to spend mega bucks and probably went for one of several £4ish cables for sale on Amazon / Fleabay. I did the former and whilst it worked for about 6 weeks I soon got problems where it would just randomly stop charging from a PC USB, then would only work with the plug one way then it just died. I complained to the Amazon Marketplace retailer and they told me they stopped selling them (Says it all really) but they did give me a refund.

I kinda wished I had just plumped for a genuine Apple article from the off even though they are £15 (some deals have been had at Carphone Warehouse etc for around £12 but I couldn't find one). That said I looked on Apple.com and even the reviews of their own cables are pretty bad so that put me off.

Then I saw this Amazon basics cable for £12 and the initial reviews were all good. So I ordered one and 1 month later it is still working fine with no issues whatsoever. Always charges, works either way round and has a chunky well made feel to both the cabling and the connectors at each end. Those of you with iphone5 wrapped in a case that surrounds the lightning port may well have issues if your case encroaches past the bevelled edge (the polished line on the White iphone5) on both the front & rear of the phone as the connector is chunky. Personally I have no case and just have protective film on the back so no issue for me.

Fingers crossed this cable is still working in 6 months time. At least if its not I have Amazon's no quibble warranty. Shame they don't do a white version to match my phone but now I am just being picky.
99 comments| 226 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 June 2013
This is a sturdy stylish and affordable alternative to Apple's own lightening charger. No problems with it so far so goog
44 comments| 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 October 2013
Purchased two of these lightening cables and happy to report that they support iOS 7. Successfully charging my iPad Mini and iPhone 5 as I write this review.
on 20 February 2015
Cable works fine with my iPhone 5s, the only problem I've found is it won't fit through a phone case, so the case has to be removed every time I want to charge it. The casing around the lightening end is slightly bigger than an Apple cable. I filed the end of mine and now it fits.
If you don't use a case then that's no problem, if you do then check the aperture size of your case first.
review image review image
on 31 May 2013
I bought one of these as a backup to the standard cable, but found they're actually better quality! I've now bought more, so I have one at work, etc. Why pay more for the Apple cable when you can get better from Amazon?
on 15 May 2013
Well made good tight fit when inserted in to my phone. Connected to the power adapter with no problems. Good value for the price.
on 26 May 2013
After my apply charger breaking for my iPhone 5 I'm pleased to say I'm very happy with this one! my friends are on there 3rd apple charger for there iPhone 5 and I've recommended these instead of apple 5* product!
on 9 February 2013
Having bought a number of third party iPhone 5 cables from ebay, nearly all of which have failed within a few weeks of using them, I needed to find another cable option at a cheaper price than Apple wants me to pay.

Looking around I stumbled upon this option on the Amazon website and decided to buy two. With the one year guarantee I had nothing really to lose.

An envelope arrived quickly and inside were two easy to open small boxes, a cable in each. This was a nice surprise - I had read about the new zero-effort packaging that Amazon are using and this was my first chance to experience it. I was very pleased.

The two cables are distinctive from the Apple originals, not just because of the colour. The connector that goes in to the iPhone is much more 'chunky' than the Apple version which is quite nice - the Apple cable always worries me that I will break it but this one feels very strong.

However this end of the cable did bring with it a small problem. The case I use with my iPhone has separate cut outs at the bottom for the power connector, speakers and headphone jack. Using the Apple cable the cut out is perfect but using the Amazon cable it was too small. The only way I could continue to use the same case with these leads was to carefully make the sync cable cut out larger using a small knife. It wasn't too much to do but if I had had a hard case with the same size cut out I wouldn't have had any options.

Other than that though the two cables are working excellently for me and I have had no issues. This is well worth the money but just watch out for the size of the iPhone connector.
on 9 March 2013
This cable is cheaper than Apple's own and so far has worked perfectly for charging and connecting to a PC. It is a little bit bigger than the Apple original, however not by much and it makes them feel quite sturdy.

I'm hoping that lightning cables will soon come down in price as they do cost a lot more than every other cable for phone connectivity/charging. We pay this tax in order to not have to worry about which way round we plug it into our phones. This is a great example of Apple finding a problem that didn't really exist and creating an expensive solution to it.

The upshot is that all lightning cables need to have a chip in them to work out which way it's plugged in and assign each prong the correct function based on that. So if you get a third party chip that doesn't do the job properly it won't work at all, and there's a chance that it will damage your iPhone (hopefully there's protection in the phone for this, but I don't know if that's so). I trust Amazon to deliver something that works and so far that's working out.
on 12 April 2013
The cable feels very sturdy, but also flexible. It plugs in very nicely, almost with a snap.

But, the base of the cable is wider than the official apple cables and it doesn't fit my iphone 5.0 with its cover on and I have to remove it. Which, frankly, is a pain.