on 20 November 2010
My 9 year old son loves the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books and having read all in the series I was struggling to find something light and along the same lines for him to read. I stumbled upon Big Nate whilst browsing Amazon for inspiration.
As soon as I received the book I gave it to my son.
I didn't here a peep out of him, apart from giggling for 2 hours at which point he said "finished it,really good" and then continued to re-read it for the rest for the week, I'll definitely look purchasing the others in the series.
on 28 April 2010
...although I feel a bit guilty saying that. I bought this for my nine year old reluctant reader son as he is such a fan of The Wimpy Kid and this book looked to be of similar ilk. I assumed that Lincoln Peirce was jumping on the band waggon but actually Big Nate is a classic comic strip character and the inspiration behind Jeff Kinney's books. The back cover says "Big Nate is going to make you laugh big time!" and this book certainly had my son chuckling away. The combination of text and cartoons is attractive and combined with toilet humour makes this an ideal read for kids. It's a sure fire hit for fans of Wimpy Kid and Captain Underpants, pretty lightweight but no harm in that.
on 13 September 2010
This is the book that Jeff Kinney claims "inspired" him to the write the hugely successful Wimpy Kid books. It is similar - creamy paper, funny happenings in the life of a "middle" school kid - interspersed with amusing cartoons.

My reluctant fiction reader (8 year old boy) really likes the Wimpy Kid books so this is how I came to find and buy this book. It did the trick , he enjoyed it. The story is about a dreadful day in the life of Nate - everything that could go wrong at school for him does. The school doen't seem very similar to English schools, but my son didn't mind. He read it in a few sittings at bedtime and wants the next one in the series.

A light, fast fun read.
on 28 February 2012
My 10yr old son read all the diary of a wimpy kid books back to back over xmas, surprisingly as he has never read a book voluntarily before. I had read that these Big nate books were similar and recommended for kids who liked wimpy kid books and my son wasnt disappointed. He read all 3 1) The boy with the biggest head 2) Big nate strikes again 3) Big nate on a roll - It took me a bit of digging to see which ones came in which order as there are other Big nate books but after gettting the others out of the library afterwards Im glad I didnt buy them as they were just comic strip books. Now I just need to find more books similar in this genre
on 15 June 2011
Purchased this for our little bookworm who absolutely loved it. Read from cover to cover in 2 days. if you love Diary of a Wimpy Kid you will love this book.
on 26 November 2012
I really enjoyed reading `Big Nate The Boy With The Biggest Head In The World'. I thought it was so good, I read it twice! I don't really like books with loads of writing and hardly any pictures, but this book hasn't got small print writing and has loads of good illustrations. Throughout the book, there are loads of interesting and funny bits. It is also a fun book to read! The young boy, Nate, has a fortune cookie that says `Today you will surpass all others'. This encourages Nate to try and impress others, especially Jenny, his crush. Throughout the day he tries to make his fortune come true, but things just go from bad to worse! The day's almost over and Nate hasn't impressed anyone, so far he has tried to break a green bean eating challenge, tried to make a grumpy teacher laugh, tried to complete a maths test and impress people in PE, but nothings worked! Finally, Nate does surpass all others, but in a very unusual way!
on 14 January 2011
My son has read all the Wimpy kid books and we were looking for something new to read. He absolutely loves this book.
on 3 July 2014
My 6 year old loves this book. It's made him want to read independently a lot more and he'll happily sit reading for an hour. It was like pulling teeth persuading him to read yet more Biff, Chip and Kipper stories from school but the humour in Big Nate has given him a love for reading. He now gets why reading for fun is good. I'll be buying him more in the series.
on 22 October 2013
lol, its a good book for Jeff Kinney fans. Nate is like a really unfortunate version of Diary of a Wimpy kid's Greg. Good book if you liked this you may want to read Diary of a Wimpy kid or Barry Loser ( a bit like diary of a wimpy kid but contains pictures of people with long noses,(bit strange))
on 16 December 2010
This book was the best book I'v ever read.
I like the fact that he's always geting into trouble.
The best part of the book was when he shouted at gina in his english
class and at the end of the day he gets 7 detentions.
The auther is a very good cartoonist and I give this book
10/10.