Package Quantity: 1|Style Name: Journal 8|Change

on 17 March 2015
Oh dear.... I had read all the reviews (mixture of good and bad experiences with these secret diaries old & upgrades etc), and considered long and hard before ordering one. You see my daughter was another child who'd seen the TV advert and hoped upon hoped she'd get one for Christmas... No chance I thought, secretly making up my mind to get her one for her 10th birthday a couple months later. - It came, had a great day and opened her presents. She excitedly recorded her secret password, which successfully worked... ! She closed the diary excited to see if it really did log the password, and when she tried to 'activate' it - the Journal wouldn't open! Then came the next 2 hours of trying to 're-set' the darn thing with a pen you push in a small hole, multiple attempts/removing the batteries suggestions etc., it still wouldn't allow us to get the door to open to 'try' to 're-set!' Scanning the web for help - Anybody else had this problem or know what to do etc? - eventually gave up with a very disappointed 10 year old - kind of brought a bit of a downer to an otherwise 'happy birthday'. I reassured her we'd ring the manufacturer directly next working day... explained the problem, to be told its probably a fault, returned it postage free and at least got the full rrp in gift vouchers from them to replace... My daughter used them not to buy a replacement but to buy something completely different a week later. The whole experience had left a sour taste in her mouth, even though she still loved the idea of it, was scared it might happen again.... can't blame her really... :-(
on 5 January 2014
My daughter was really pleased with this and was eager to get started setting it up straight away. It was easy to set the password up and she found it very funny putting messages to keep her brother away into it! The only problem I would say is that she has trouble getting it to open herself sometimes using the voice recognition!
on 3 January 2014
My daughter got this fro her eight birthday and I think she is at the right age. She gets frustrated sometimes when it doesn't recognise her name but loves recording different messages to intruders etc.
on 7 March 2014
Just wanted to add a few points based on the reviews here. The password function works really well and after a few tests it is best to record the password with no background noise and make sure that the password is one word only. IVe tried to replicate my daughters voice to get in and it wont let me and she gets in first time four out of five times. There is also a small security button on the inside to adjust the sensitivity of the password recognition. I set it to 'low'.

If you cant get in just put something small into the little circle at the top of the journal and it will open and reset everything. You can also record greetings for when the door opens and shuts as well. Another neat feature that I just discovered is that the torch inside twists so that the UV light covers both pages. Replacement pens can be ordered from Mattel UK customer services. This is not advertised anywhere for some reason and cost a couple of quid for two of them.

I would say it is slightly overpriced but all in all a great product with lots of fun.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 2 June 2014
A useable toy but expect some frustration due to the hit and miss voice recognition. This was a birthday gift very much liked by the recipient but it was very soon that the voice recognition problem showed up. We did several resets to re-record the voice password, but the hit and miss seems to be a constant feature. This toy is far from perfect, so purchase it with the knowledge to accept its inherent imperfection (with the expectation to reach for the reset button and re-recording).

Good when it works; too pricey for the quality; not recommended.
on 9 April 2014
I bought this for my daughters birthday. What a hit, she loves it. She loves the fact that nobody else can open it as it is voice activated. Her nosey brother have tried and tried to open it to no availe!
on 2 January 2014
My daughter got this for Christmas. She loves it!! Her brothers can't get in! Spends a lot of time writing her secrets with the invisible pen.
Very good present :)
on 4 January 2014
My daughter was so excited when she received this - she recorded the secret password in a quiet place and it worked for about 8 openings, then suddenly it started saying "intruder alert" even though she repeated it in the same environment and in the same tone. I tried many times to reset the password by de-pressing the override button but no joy - shut fast. I took out the batteries overnight in a vain effort to see if I could re-set it again when I put them back in, but no luck. She wanted to know how to get the item back to Father Christmas and got very upset as she realised that the Elves had finished making for the year and were having a holiday! Amazon have sent a gift voucher as there seem to be a great many problems with this item - a big shame as it's a great idea.
on 31 January 2014
This was a xmas present for my 6yr old daughter, her and her cousin spent the whole of xmas day opening and closing it using the secret password, the problem we have is she cant always get in the first time could take ten attemps. Not sure where this is now as its been placed with other toys not played with.
on 31 March 2015
Girls just love this. We bought my daughter this a year ago as she had continuously seen it advertised on the t.v and we haven't been disappointed. It's exactly as you see the only criticism I do have is when you set the voice password you basically have to say it back so accurately otherwise it doesn't recognise it and you have to keep resetting it. So keep the password quite basic. It's very strong and sturdy and great for girls to keep there little treasures in, we would Definately recommend this.