on 13 May 2017
I have loved these books and definitely recommend reading the liveship trilogy beforehand. The only thing that disappointed me was a lack of detail at the end. I can't say too much without spoiling it so I'll just say I wish there had been more written about the final battle! She could have gone to town with that but just seemed to skim over it in my opinion which I felt was a shame as she's such an amazing story teller. I love her eloquence though and I looked forward to picking my kindle up each day and finding out how the characters were getting on! A great read and I miss being on this journey with the characters already. I'd highly recommend these books.
on 7 September 2016
This is the stuff of legends. Every book from the farseer trilogy to this has captured my imagination from the beginning. I wasn't sure if I'd get into this books but Robin Hobb creates characters and places and time lines like no other author and I got the bug very very quickly. Words leap out of the page so well that it's more like watching a movie then reading. The only thing I disliked was having to put the book down. Excellent read a recommendation for anyone into an epic fantasy. To get the whole of the story though you need to start with the farseer trilogy.
on 29 October 2017
After being thoroughly gripped by the first, three parts of this epic tale of The Rain Wild Chronicles, I couldn't wait to get stuck-in to reading this fourth, concluding part. It did not disappoint me! There are many, convincing characters in this saga and I could relate, almost on a personal level, with most of them - there aren't many books that can do that! Very believable developments throughout and a highly satisfactory ending! I can't recommend this quadrilogy highly enough! Brilliant!
on 12 July 2013
This book brings together many characters from The Mad Ship series as well as The Rain Wild Chronicles. Some characters are developed much more fully, with relationships forming and breaking up. However, for me, some characters remain incomplete with scope for further development.

I do love Robin Hobbs imaginative stories and her way of placing unexpected twists within the tale. The death of one character does that, (you have to read the book to discover who this is I am afraid) a deserved end which I must admit made me laugh, but it certainly came suddenly out of the blue.

As with some other reviewers the ending of the book left me feeling a little disatisfied, like there should be more to come some how. It just seemed to stop when I still wanted more, but that could be my problem rather than the authors.

I am hoping that Robin Hobb still may have further to go. Just as with The Liveship series when the story appeared to be at an end,The Golden Fool series appeared. That series seemed to complete everything but then suddenly The Rain Wild Chronicles comes along. So I am keeping my fingers crossed that some of the characters may appear again later in another series - who knows,
on 10 December 2017
Good story that drags on unnecessarily. This whole cycle could have been done & dusted in three volumes which would've made it much more satisfying. As it is frustrations set in with little action in the middle of the five book series. This volume is reasonable like the end of a chapter, very frustrating. The on the whole the story minus the fillers is quite good.
on 25 July 2015
Great book which gave excellent reading, I have read the complete series and have thoroughly enjoyed every book. Great story line throughout with intriguing plots along the way for the intrepid characters. Excellent ending to the series, I only wish there was more. A great read for those of you who like stories about Dragons, I did think when I read the first book in the series it was slow to get going but I am grateful that I stuck with it.
Thank you Robin for a great read, I shall be looking out for more of your work.
on 11 July 2014
I'm really enjoying the Rain Wild Chronicles. The first 2 books are really just setting the scene, the story really gets going in this 3rd book 'Blood of Dragons'. Much as I love Robin Hobb's books, one criticism i have is that she is far too repetitive. She keeps padding out with characters back stories we already know- or have them thinking about events we already know of- which adds extra pages of information we already know about. It gets quite frustrating- get on with the story already! Saying that, she has the most wonderful imagination. I ate this book up, and and now on to the 4th. A great way to fill a quite evening.
on 1 August 2013
Just like other people, I found this book slightly disappointing-but that's only, perhaps, because Robin Hobb has accustomed her fans to some fantastically high standards! The book is slightly rushed, slightly insubstantial compared to the other books in the series, and I too agree with the view that City of Dragons and Blood of Dragons should have been presented together as one book... Make no mistake, this is still a fantastic piece of writing and imagination, and Robin Hobb is, in my humble opinion, worthy of the Fantasy hall of Fame...the worlds and characters she creates are unbelievably detailed, attractive and alluring. But this particular series, one of fascinating stories, feels...rushed. And, in true Robin Hobb style, the book has a very open end. Slightly less accomplished than the Golden Fool trilogy, or the Liveship series...but still by far better than the rather strange Shaman trilogy.
Dear Mrs. Hobb, the threads of this story are begging to be still woven on...
on 27 January 2016
Love Robin Hobb as a writer. Loved this book and all the whole Rain wilds series. Highly recommend if you like fantasy. Even if you don't think you do. I never imagined I would like these when recommended to me but totally do like all her writings. Read most of her books now but will be happy to retread. I couldn't begin to describe contents you'd have to find out for yourselves and be surprised with joy
on 25 February 2017
love robin hobb, love this extended world she has created, love her characters. In my honest onion she does repeat herself a bit too much when telling readers of the various abilities her characters have, but thats a personal gripe and my colleague who recommended the books thinks im an idiot. haha