on 28 July 2014
I purchased this Touchpad to try and save space on my desk, to work with a Windows 7 64bit PC. On opening the box the Setup Guide had clear, easy, instructions. There's no CD/DVD so you need to download the driver software from the Logitech support site. Before using the Touchpad I charged it via a USB3 port, it took about 3-4 hours to get a full charge. The Unifying Receiver and the Touchpad were recognised by Windows as soon as the receiver was plugged into a USB2 port.
The basic Click and Scroll gestures work well but it took a couple of days to master the right-click, and two weeks in I am still struggling to consistently get the click and drag gesture. This product could definitely benefit from a training tutorial that allows you to practise the gestures. I have marked this down to three stars as there are a couple of issues I still haven't found a solution for. Firstly, I have a two monitor setup, and when I try to click and drag a window between monitors my finger runs off the edge of the Touchpad before the window move is complete, often resulting in a window split across the monitors. Changing the mouse sensitivity to allow a drag in one attempt makes the fine mouse movements unworkable for the Photoshop work I do. So, I either have to do multiple click and drag gestures, or I've tried to do a convoluted "click, drag, start swipe with thumb just before finger gets to edge of Touchpad"! The other issue I have is that you cannot rest you fingers on the Touchpad (as this results in a unwanted click event) so I'm getting mild RSI from my hand hovering for extended periods over the pad. I intend to try a wrist support to see if that helps. Your fingers need to be very dry to get the best results, so I've found during a couple of recent hot days I need to dry the tips of my fingers regularly. On the upside the battery life seems very good so far; I leave the Touchpad on all the time and after two weeks the battery is still showing as more than half full.
VINE VOICEon 29 December 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I looked upon this with some trepidation as someone who has used a variety of trackpads on a variety of laptops with very different standards of quality, and rarely with much happiness. But with an upgrade to Windows 8 imminent, I thought I'd give it a go. This means that I tested it entirely on Windows 7, and on a desktop PC.

I'm very impressed. It's just about a perfect size, giving around 4 times the area of an average laptop trackpad. The extra space makes all the difference in the world in terms of useability, as you have room to manoeuvre. Plus it is a perfectly engineered product with a very responsive surface whilst being satisfactorily lacking in any kind of annoying "jitteriness".

Within a day or two of use, the pad became entirely an intuitive affair. The functions all work perfectly well in Windows 7 - scrolling, back, forward, minimising windows, making them full size etc. Obviously, there are no 'charms' to bring up and you don't get the Start menu by swiping in from the left because Windows 7 just doesn't work like that. I'd specifically mention dragging and dropping, as that's always (normally) difficult on a trackpad and another reviewer mentioned it. I find it completely easy, using the side of my thumb to click down and hold and a finger to move the item across the screen. Right-clicking takes a little more precision, as it needs to be done on the bottom right-hand corner of the pad. That also became automatic within a few hours use. Shifting unconsciously between 1, 2 and 3 fingers for varying functions also soon became intuitive.

To my surprise, within a few days I found myself preferring the trackpad to a mouse - and I've used a mouse since they were first invented. I really didn't anticipate this. But I'm whizzing around the screen and doing all my mouse functions either as easy, or even more easily, than with a mouse (especially minimising and restoring windows on the screen). My mouse has now been relegated to gaming duties.

Sometimes I find myself leaning back comfortably in the chair, picking up the pad with one hand and using the other to control it, rather than leaving it lying on the desk. As this might suggest, this is also pretty near-perfect control device for anyone with a media centre PC, or anyone with a need to control a PC from a distance (eg in your hand, lap or lying on the arm of the chair next to you while you lie back and relax!)

I'm most impressed!
on 9 December 2012
Had this device a few weeks now and have really enjoyed using it. Gives you access to all of the touch features that Windows 8 making it easily navigable without a mouse. Can see these really catching on once people see how well it hooks into Windows 8.

My only slight annoyance at the time of writing is that there is a bug with dual screens (which Logitech have promised to fix) which means when swiping from the left to switch apps, the software doesn't currently support the swipe and flick back to get the list of running apps. Once this is fixed, I'll see about coming back and giving this top marks!
on 23 June 2014
I've never been a fan of touchpads on laptops. I find them a bit fiddly and inclined to misinterpret my touch as a double-click; sometimes with frustrating consequences. I also suffer from sore forearms and wrists when using a mouse. My job and my principle hobby both involve keyboard/mouse work so this can be a serious factor in my productivity. Consequently, when my mouse recently failed, I was keen to investigate some alternatives. After reading some favourable reviews, I ordered the Logitech T650.

Set up was simple enough, even downloading and installing a firmware update. It should be noted though that these tasks necessitated having a mouse; something to bear in mind if you’re switching from a broken one to the T650. No fault of Logitech, it’s very hard to do anything in Windows without a pointing device. With the drivers installed, the T650 worked straight away and the temporary mouse was disconnected.

I’d expected to find it difficult to get used to the gestures required on a touchpad like the T650. It quickly made me appreciate tasks I took for granted on a standard mouse, such as dragging/dropping and scrolling. Each of these now involves a sequence of tapping and sliding with various numbers of fingers to achieve the desired result. Surprisingly though I picked it up very quickly and it felt quite natural after a few hours use. There are some issues though, mostly relating to applications that require frequent and precise movements. For example, plotting a track on Google Earth is all but impossible due to the high volume of clicks and drags required. I also get frustrated when trying to double-click a button, only to find I've slid the pointer slightly in the process and clicked something else instead. My last issue concerns the smooth surface of the T650. It’s really nice to use when you have completely dry fingers but hot weather and humidity can make it feel sticky and less frictionless.

Despite these issues, I'm enjoying the T650 experience and accepted it as my principle device for day to day use. Logitech’s Unified receiver system makes it very easy to use this in combination with a compatible mouse so I’m going to order one for the applications that are more suited to a traditional pointing device. They will be the exception though as the T650 has greatly reduced my RSI pains and I’ll happy accept it’s minor shortcomings in return for that.
on 26 September 2013
I'm a bit annoyed at the superfluous reviews left for this, so much so, that I've decided to leave a proper one that will help those that actually have some experience with computers and will make proper use of a trackpad.

Firstly, it goes without saying that this is beautiful and feels "nice." Yes its glass, sleek and smooth etc. No one cares. I don't care. I didn't buy it to eat it. To give something five stars based on its looks is dimwitted.

Secondly, this product has fundamental problems. I am going to take you through them. Before I do, I want to make clear to you, there are no better trackpads. Oh dear. If any of us are unlucky enough to have used a MacBook trackpad, we will have to continue to endure the mediocrity of PC hardware. No matter how much we pay for it.

In order of significance, the flaws are:-

1. This trackpad is software based, it works through set-point, which is Logitech's clunky, poorly programmed, garbage on disk. I have bought many Logitech devices but rarely used their software, which is pretty awful. Unfortunately, I have no choice here as without set point, the PC cannot recognise the most used functions, such as scroll.

Set point is FULL of BUGS. For example, various features do not work. It freezes a lot and on Windows x64 it prevents shut down (search "hidden d3d window"). These are well established bugs. Logitech drips tell you to downgrade to the older Set Point, which doesn't support this product. Hurrah, grand customer service.

2. Its clunky. You will more often than not have to repeat gestures. Moving the cursor and tapping are fine. Try dragging, highlighting text or scrolling, and you will have to repeat, repeat and probably give up. It also cannot work until the set point software above has loaded. As that software is bloated, it is the last to load which means a minute added on to the start up before you can be away.

3. Zooming by pinching. Forget it.

4. Conflicts with Windows settings. E.g. you can set the speed of the cursor in Windows. Set point has a different setting tab and the two conflict. Some times one speed works and sometimes the other. Oh, I should say, Logitech does not have the exact same speed setting so you can't just set the same speed to alleviate this issue.

In all, the reviewers handing out 5 stars have never used a trackpad or have not thought this through. I am annoyed because I relied on those reviews. You may well do to, however, I hope you have had the chance to take this into account.

Without a doubt, these are all software/Windows issues. These should have been resolved before this trackpad went out to rip people off. Logitech's indifference to the problems their poor products have caused is even more frustrating.
33 comments| 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Logitech T650 is a beautifully made track pad. It comes in a nice package with an usb charging cable and unifying wireless receiver so you can integrate it with the same receiver as most other Logitech wireless products. In hand the track pad feels very solid and superbly built. I would have no concerns lugging this around with me if needed. Nothing feels flimsy or delicate. It features an on/off button to the side to conserve battery power when not in use. I managed roughly 3 weeks with it, but I am a fairly heavy daily user so I was impressed with this. Whilst charging with the cable it can still be used unless it is totally flat.

It is designed for Windows 8 and the metro touch interface. I am currently using it with windows 7, and after a few weeks I must say I am quite used to it. Learning the gestures reall speeds thing along too. Clicks are done by tapping the pad or pressing down on it.

The track pad (and indeed all Logitech mice/keyboards etc) uses the Logitech SetPoint software of which I downloaded and installed the latest version direct from their site. This was a doddle to setup and is equally easy to configure the track pad.

The track pad is fun to use, especially on a touch based interface such as windows 8. This will only get better I would imagine as app designs move to incorporate and design products that take better advantage of windows 8 features.

There are however a couple of negatives. Clicking down on the pad can be quite laboured, especially right click. And to that end dragging a box across the screen can be cumbersome.
All in all this is a premium product which is very nice to use and feels premium in hand. For me it won't replace a mouse anytime soon as I need the extra precision and control a mouse gives but none the less a well-designed premium product from Logitech that does what it is designed to do well.
77 comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 February 2014
Purchased Jan 14
Used on Win7 Laptop (Dell studio XPS 1340)
In use for 1 day at work
Applications: AutoCAD, Office, IE, PLC software.
Paid £30

First off, the hardware:
Nice large touchpad (possibly a little too large to be comfortable when there's no laptop palm rest around it)
Slightly roughened glass surface, which gives you a good response to dragging your finger over it
Compact, unifying receiver is great as I've a number of other Logitech devices.
Rechargeable, though a month is optimistic.

Now the software...
Setpoint is usually ok for customising mice and keyboards from Logitech. For this, however, it is severely lacking.
The 'customisable gestures' tagline actually means 'hard-coded gestures that can be enabled or disabled'. There is no customisation at all!

The experience:
pointing, mousing and scrolling (in EITHER vertical OR horizontal) work very well. It's no magic trackpad (or whatever pretentious title apple give to their device) but it's a

near-ish second (don't expect an apple experience from this).

That's where it stops being good.

Scrolling isn't true 2d, you're effectively doing a vertical scroll then a horizontal one, which (if you're used to a touchscreen) doesn't feel too good.
Double tap to drag is a NIGHTMARE. It will trigger inadvertently and you'll be dragging stuff all over the place without realising it. This has become such a problem that I've

turned it off.
There is no 3-finger drag - this is becoming a killer.
The physical button is only pressable at the bottom (standard) but as the surface encompasses the entire device, when you press it you WILL move the mouse at the same time

before it clicks. This isn't a problem on a laptop trackpad as there's a fraction of the travel involved in clicking - with this there's far more and it results in you moving

the cursor before you've 'hit'. You will end up with your thumb perched right on the bottom edge in order to use it - which is a bit uncomfortable.
The gestures are annoying, and can't be changed, only disabled. Whether this is true for Windows 8, I can only imagine, but my laptop BSODs on Win 8 so that's not an option.
The feet are slippy, resulting in the pad gradually making a bid for freedom.
All gestures are logitech software based, and don't seem to be Win7 native.
There is a delay in mouse movement - whether I will get used to this is yet to be seen, but had I known beforehand I probably wouldn't have gone for it.

There hasn't been (as far as the forums can tell me) any update to this device recently, and as a result I fear it has been abandoned from the software perspective in favour

of native (?) Windows 8 support. The hardware has a lot of potential, and if changes to the above were implemented it would be a fantastic device.

My advice?

Look elsewhere, stick with a mouse (I highly recommend the Performance & Anywhere Mouse MX), try an Apple one (god knows how well that would work on Windows). If you really

like the idea of this, then heed my advice above and give the device a whirl in PC world or something.

I will retract any of the above (with notes) if Logitech choose to update the drivers to fix these issues - for the time being I hold out hope!
review image review image
on 24 February 2014
...makes this excellent. I'm using this on a Linux system and the update now makes functions available by 'tap' as well as 'press'. There's not much to say really: the build quality appears solid, it's very pleasant to use, the touch pad is a generous size, and there is a fairly comprehensive range of gestures available, along with all the standard clicks. A decent bit of kit, and a welcome alternative to a mouse.

Here is what the firmware upgrade 041.001.00038 officially adds:

With this release, the following gestures will be enabled out of the box:

Adds single tap to click
Adds double tap to double click
Adds 2-finger tap to right click
Adds 2-finger click to right click
Adds 3-finger tap to middle click
Adds 1-finger tap on right bottom corner to right-click
Adds single finger tap n' hold to left-click and drag
When mechanical click is pressed, edge-gestures are disabled
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Logitech wireless touchpad is a touchpad that can be used as an alternative to a mouse, giving all the usual left, right and scroll functions but also providing the gesture control that has been introduced in Windows 8. This gives an opportunity to take advantage of the swipe and touch features of the new windows interface without needing to stretch out to a touch screen when working on a desktop.

Personally I've found that a lot of what Windows 8 does begins to make more sense and feel a lot more useful when using one of these, as it has been optimised for touch controls and it's nice to be able to take advantage of that functionality without the cost of a touch screen.

It definitely takes some getting used to and I find myself using it a lot in the Windows Start (Metro) screen and starting to get used to it on the desktop but reverting back to my mouse for some things, especially games.

The pad is small and slim and comes with a USB cable to recharge the internal battery. This makes for a slim package but also means that the battery can't be easily changed when the battery eventually dies.

This comes with the Logitech unifying receiver which allows you to connect up to 6 devices to one receiver, thus keeping USB ports free for other purposes.

I find the pad to be responsive and very smooth to use. Windows 8 desktop can definitely be used comfortable without it once you get used to mouse controls (or stay in the old desktop) but this definitely adds good functionality. A good device.
on 10 May 2013
I bought this product for use with Windows 8. It worked OK for a while, but soon some of the scroll functions started working only sporadically, especially when scrolling through spreadsheets. The software uses lots of CPU at weird times too. But it's the inconsistency of the scrolling functionality, the random resets of the driver which change the sensitivity, and other quirks that make this product largely useless.

It now sits on my desk looking good but doing nothing. I'm hoping future s/w updates will fix things (though I've had it 6 months and only seen one update, which did nothing) but for now, avoid like the plague.

Shame.