TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 30 December 2013
I was in the market for a battery/mains radio that was small and easily carried and that could serve in the likelyhood of any power outages and, owning other Roberts equipment, decided to give it a go.
It measures approx 8.5 inches wide, 5 inches high and 2 inches deep, is light even fitted with batteries and has a great dimmable display. On set up indoors it found 47 DAB stations which I thought was pretty good for a unit of it's size and cost.
Sound quality is reasonable again for the size but favours speech more so than music. A pity that Roberts didn't see fit to including any form of tone control hence it looses a star for overall performance.
From my perspective, it is a nice little radio that will do the job I intended and I have no regrets with my choice.
Update
I have noticed two major criticisms of this radio which I would like to comment on for the benefit of the potential buyer. Firstly in respect of battery life, DAB radios have always used more power than analogue radio and, having a illuminated display can only add to the power draw. However, Roberts have at least made made an effort to reduce this by enabling the display to be dimmed. Regardless as to the make of DAB radio that one might purchase, my suggestion is to fit it with rechargeable batteries who's cost would be recouped after the third charge or so...this is the way I use mine.
In respect of batteries being loose within the battery department, the batteries are stacked in three separate lines which are stepped in height. The battery cover has a contoured extension on it's inner side which mirrors these three stepped lines. I cannot see how batteries could therefor become loose or loose their connections with this being the case.
I hope this additional information is of help.
0Comment| 134 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 November 2013
My first DAB radio and I was a little skeptical at first due to the price of this radio being quite low compared to others. I needn't have worried, this is a great little radio, quite compact but with a really good sound. At less than £40 this is half the price I was going to pay and I am now tempted to purchase another for the kitchen! My only gripe is that it could have had a slightly easier preset system but that is a minor niggle. Great radio.
33 comments| 77 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 February 2014
Easy to programme the 3 stored stations. Nice sound, lightweight, long cord. Haven't used it with batteries though. It is perfect in the kitchen and we only need three preset stations so it is fine for us.
Great price too.
on 27 April 2014
I recently looked for a radio so that I could listen to it quietly at work. I work in a back extension of a house, with limited windows etc (poor me), so I needed a dab radio - I read reviews on loads on radios and decided on this. A) the make "Roberts", B) the price C) the colour was quite nice and would fit any decor D) the size - good size not big or not small E) easy controls and setting.
I was not disappointed at all when I opened up my order, everything was described well and easy to add your favorite stations on. I have no regrets about buying this nippy Roberts radio at all. A good buy at a good price.
on 24 May 2014
Purchased for a Roberts radio fan who is an absolutely non-tecchie pensioner - we sat down for about 10 mins this afternoon, when this very nice item arrived (thanks amazon for next day delivery, even on a Saturday), and it was up and running (not quite plug-and-play but almost, very simple and clear instruction book) using the mains adaptor easy-peasy. Very good reception (even with aerial not extended), nice clear sound, good volume level control, nice sized illuminated panel (variable brightness), earphone socket, takes 6 batteries but we haven't added them yet as mains will be used, absolutely A1 for someone not wanting to see the flight deck of Concorde on their radio! Very nice finish, stylish, good length of lead - just one very minor point (but that's the way it is these days), seems quite light and doesn't inspire confidence that it will survive a fall or weather 'rough handling' - other than that, excellent, many thanks!
on 14 February 2014
Neat radio. Easy to use. Good sound. But I sent the first one back thinking it was faulty and ordered a replacement. I now doubt that it was faulty. It just goes through batteries at an astonishing rate. So if you're going to buy one of these, use rechargeable batteries or the mains plug.
on 22 February 2014
Easy to set up and use, good price, and a neat stylish design. I had to read the instructions to get all the radio channels.
on 26 January 2014
As normal from Robert great sound easy to use and every home should have one just a full stop good easy high quality radio
on 26 November 2013
super and compact dab radio so easy to set up and use, very compact , what more can I say price is great
on 8 February 2014
The radio is a perfect size for my mother in law. The was always trying to get the correct station on her old radio but was unable to, but with the digital radio and it's presets it's perfect. The batteries tend to run through it though so I would suggest plugging it in from the very start.