on 2 February 2014
Look and Feel
To get the obvious out of the way, these are some of the most stylish headphones I’ve seen recently. The striking colour is refreshing amongst its black styled peers and that now hugely imitable red style. A bit more fluorescence would have been nice. The remote looks and feels excellent. I don’t know why efforts to have a remote are always only meeting Iphone requirements, maybe there is some patent hogging going on. But actually on the new android phones the play button will stop and start music, double tapping it will skip to the next track. Many reviews say how heavy the remote unit is, but there is a clip supplied for the wire which alleviates this issue.

The other major qualm about the S4 range is the durability, these have a reputation for not lasting too long. My previous pair of the original S4s lasted for one year though. I bought these not expecting them to last in a way, and the rugged part of the name doesn’t necessarily mean the wire connections are more sturdy, just that the seams are fairly protected against maybe water intrusion.

I have found the fit with the supplied tips to be not quite right, either too small or two big, I am more inclined to blame my ears, though another size would have been welcome. The ear pieces have very small needle like outputs, unlike all the other brand headphones, so prevents you using a previous pair of correctly fitting tips.

Sound
My headphone credentials are: creative ep630, vmoda vibe, Klipsch s4, Beats, MeElectronics sp131, and ME Electronics Mduo. Relative to all of those bar the previous klipsch S4 set, these are much more orientated around the treble and middle range of the spectrum, and it does them very well indeed. It has great speed and response to the player signals, hence giving that sense of ‘HD’. To expand on the classic line in reviews of hearing sounds one has never heard before, I think the thing I started to notice again was being almost able to hear the texture of the instruments being played, such as fingers wiping across guitar strings. I have generally veered towards a bassier line in my previous purchases, the s4s are certainly not going to feed that gecko tongue punch in the eardrum that other sets can, Of course the bass can be heard, just not felt. Hence it is much more suited to certain types of music with detailed production or instrument focussed

Overall
Bass isn’t to everyone’s tastes, sometimes I want it more than any other part of the spectrum, at other times I primarily want the detail and the crunch of instruments to be heard, so my solution has been to have multiple earphones in use, as I haven’t wanted to spend above £100 on a pair. This pair excellently covers the upper range and does an ok job at the low range. Knowing that and the acknowledging the historic durability risks, there will be nothing else in this pair that could disappoint you, I will enjoy what time I have with them.
on 24 January 2016
Ordered this supposedly "rugged" S4i from Amazon.de as the price at the time was good. I was in two minds after lots of research about the purchase in the first place because of reading quite a few reviews saying the quality wasn't good, and faults/breakages occurred within just months of use on some cases of not just these earphones, but other Klipsch models.

Intended to be used for running and gym use, I bit the bullet and ordered in the end, only to receive....earphones in no box...dirty, used condition silicone changeable ends...and to top it off, the right ear bud was dead. Zero sound coming out of it. I've never received such a shoddy product from Amazon in my life.

I finally managed to get sound coming out of the right side for a grand total of 30 seconds by wiggling the lead near the jack and holding it in position. I must say my impression on the sound was that it was just ok. The mids were a bit boxy sounding, the treble not sparkling enough, and the bass was fine. At the time of writing the price on Amazon.co.uk is £90 for these. I'm sorry, but the sound would justify a price tag of defiantly no more than £40.

The Sennheiser Momentum in ears are £75 and sound far better than these, and they have a decent sized in line remote. Go for these instead is my advise.

Regardless of the faulty right ear piece, the material seemed flimsy compared with other earphones I've used (Sennheiser, Bose, RHA, Sony, to name a few) and the remote is ridiculously huge. It makes the earphones look cheap and ugly to me, like they're intended for a child, not a grown up. In a way I was actually glad they were DOA as I don't see how the cumbersome remote would be functional whilst working out.

This is my first and last attempt at a relationship with Klipsch earphones. I'm totally put off by what appears to be sub standard quality control at the manufacturing end. Shame, as I read good things about the sound on the ones that worked!
on 2 December 2013
Pros:
Good sound, quite neutral
Very good sound isolation; very little leakage and the seal keeps out background noise, especially the deep tips.
Easy to use remote.
Solid feeling contruction.
Cons:
Volume controls are ipod only.
Remote can pull on earphones, also hangs low, mic use requires a hand to lift it to one's mouth.
The deep tips can be uncomfortable at first.
on 27 December 2014
I've written a previous review on these. They are great, but slightly fragile. They last a year, but they have a life saving 2 yr warranty! They last a year of heavy use of cycling, running, skiing, and the remote buttons are brilliant for gloves. Remote is a little heavy, and the retaining clip is useless, but once you learn a way of securing it, it's great.
on 25 August 2015
Excellent quality sound, very rugged and the special tips do really mean that they don't keep slipping out of your ear, even when running. I am a big fan of Klipsch headphones, my only criticism is the fact that the price on Amazon seems to change as often as the seasons.
on 27 April 2016
Great sound but they don't last! I've had 3 pairs now and every time after about 12 months use the cable fails and I only get sound in one ear or the iPhone controls stop working. I'm not going to buy again but now need to find something that fits in my ears as well!
on 17 December 2013
Based in Ireland but living in remote africa I purchased a pair of klipsch headphones prior to my departure on a 12 month contract 1 year ago. I first purchased the s5i rugged headphones, initially I found them excellent, loved the sound, weight, comfort etc and used them regularly (2-3 times per week) for cycling, hiking etc unfortunately after three months the sound went in one ear phone. Thinking that perhaps it was a once off product failure (given the extremely high price and consistently positive reviews) and as I was unable to return them for repair (living in a country with no post service to speak of) I took the risk and ordered a second pair sending them to a colleague in the uk who was coming out to visit my work site.,, this time I opted for the s4i. Again the sound etc was great however after 4 months of moderate usage one earphone packed up again. I think the problem is with the headphone plug, as if you manipulate the cable at the plug end sound returns but goes again if you let go. This should be rectified by klipsch, it is entirely unacceptable to charge extortionate prices for a defective product that breaks after mild use - never mind the cheek to call it "rugged"....
on 27 August 2015
Durable headphones that deliver good sound quality and decent bass. Let them run in for a bit first, I let mine play through overnight and now they sound warm and wonderful.
on 11 October 2014
The best in-ear earphones I've found, really great music sound but may be slightly large for some ears
on 8 October 2015
Great price and great sound thanks