1,434
Format: Blu-ray|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 1 April 2016
This is a thoroughly enjoyable super-hero film.

I originally watched it at the cinema (in 3D), and subsequently on Blu-ray (both 2D and 3D). The Blu-ray quality is fantastic (excellent audio and picture). While the 3D version is fun, it doesn't add a great deal. So when I choose to re-watch this film, I opt for the 2D version.

This is a re-boot of the Superman franchise, following the less than financially successful 'Superman Returns' (2006) film. While I enjoyed the 2006 film, which sought in various ways to fit-in with the Christopher Reeve's film-series, I thought that this 2013 movie was superior.

This film seeks to tell the story of Superman's origins ... starting with the destruction of the planet Krypton, the orphaned baby Kal-El arriving on Earth and being raised by the Kent's in Smallville, and Clark Kent's transformation into the Man of Steel. All of this has been done before - both in film and in TV series. So it's difficult to add something fresh and imaginative. Yet the film succeeds in this regard. Rather than draw on the earlier movies (or the TV series), this film is inspired by the wealth of comic books that comprise the 70+ year history of Superman. The 'origin story' has been depicted several times in the comic books, and this film borrows from many of these. In addition, it offers new elements - especially in terms of the 'look' of Krypton, of the various space ships, etc.

The story focuses on Clark Kent, and how he's forced to become a super-hero. While he's been a 'good guy' (saving people), he's never adopted a public persona as a known hero. That is, until General Zod (and a gang of criminals previously imprisoned in the Phantom Zone by Krypton's judicial system) arrives at planet Earth and demands to see Kal-El. The General is a nasty piece of work (just as he was in 'Superman 2'), and decides to re-design the Earth into a new Krypton! And so Clark must save the world ... he becomes Superman, and battles the villainous Kryptonian criminals.

There's mayhem and destruction ... but just enough opportunity for Superman to gain a love interest, in reporter Lois Lane. The great city of Metropolis is ruined, and - finally - it's a battle to the death between Superman and Zod. This all happens as the world watches in awe and fright. Fortunately, Superman is victorious.

This film serves as a starting point for the wider DC movie universe. The first cross-over film is 'Batman Vs Superman: Dawn of Justice' (2016) ... which will, eventually, lead into the Justice League saga. This initial installment is a serious tale, offering a complex Man of Steel. He struggles to accept his 'destiny' as Superman, although he knows it's the right thing to do. This is a super-hero who has such vast abilities - powers he himself is unaware of until he chooses to use them - that he's almost utterly separate and distinct from all other people. Yet he wants to live a normal life. He struggles with inner-demons, with the loss of his home world, and with the death of his adoptive father. But he succeeds in overcoming these, for the good of humankind.

The movie is superbly directed by Zack Snyder. Yet it's not his best work (both '300' and 'Watchmen' are superior). I get the impression that he's not had complete freedom to direct, and was operating within parameters set by Nolan (producer; direct of the 'Dark Knight' trilogy). In my view, Snyder is a superior film-maker as compared to Nolan, and I wish the latter had not been involved.

The acting is done well. I was particularly impressed by Henry Cavill, who not only looks the part (and is more in-keeping with the comic book depiction of Superman than any previous film incarnation), but he portrays the tragic aspects of the Man of Steel excellently. In addition to Cavill, I thought Amy Adams was perfect for the role of investigative reporter Lois Lane (brining both intelligence and beauty to the role). Finally, Zod was brilliantly played by Michael Shannon.

I was also impressed by the music - overall, an excellent sound track. It sought to establish itself in a distinct manner, totally separate from the earlier films. In my view, this music elevated the film to a higher level than might otherwise have been the case.

This is a movie I will re-watch every so often, as it's a good super-hero action film. Yet it's not perfect. I think that the Krypton scenes were rushed, and ought to have been extended. And I think Zod should have interacted more with the people of Earth, clearly establishing his dominance (and thereby creating more of a need for Superman). Nonetheless, it's a very good film. 8 out of 10.
on 26 February 2015
One way this film scores heavily is that it doesn't got overly bogged down in Superman's origin while still providing interesting background and motivation for his actions. It clearly draws less upon the original fun but simplistic comics and more on later meatier graphic novels. Superman may still stand for justice but in a world recognised to be riddled with injustice. Still not the most intellectually stimulating of movies, but arguably more than mere escapist entertainment.
Before I start my review I would just like say this steelbook looks brilliant, and for a steelbook collector this would look great in your collection. Now for the film, this film is just awesome, I can not believe how good this film was, I have seen many films in my life including all the other superman films, but this film just blew me away, i just thought it was just wonderful and so gripping up to a point I think this is the best superman film, don't get me wrong I love all the other superman films but this just edges it for me.

Oh the 3D is ok, and the 3D depth looks quality but as per normal there is nothing popping of of your screen, but then again the picture quality and sound is truly amazing, and the 5.1 surround sound is up there with Saving Private Ryan.
review image review image review image review image review image
on 1 January 2016
Nice film and one for the kids (like me!) This is not a re-make of the Christopher Reeve Supermans' and the part played by Henry Cavill is outstanding. The special effects are excellent on my bluray tv and the depth of sound is well balanced ( unlike some films I have reviewed here), the base and treble are correct for the sound level and have been recorded correctly giving an overall pleasing effect. A well constructed storyline with more to follow I suspect!
on 20 September 2015
Well done Top noch Film

Cast other than the Dads were wonderful the CGI is fantastic love the colour switch with perry the baddies were top[ and the mums are the stars in fact I actually like Lane now (Smallville shows the way) the female characters make it the lads are well squerjawed types all very good but its the women who move things along and I have feeling could provide the future story arcs
on 10 August 2014
I can only really review what I have seen in this film. Whether other people think there are avenues that were not opened up is irrelevant I think... So ..., from what I've seen, this film deserves 5 stars because we finally see Superman express himself in an angry state, something that's never really been done properly before. Christopher Reeve, bless him, you have to admire him for the gentle nature he gave his character and those films also have to be admired. It's good to see this side of Superman, whoever you are, you're bound to get angry if someone poses a threat to your mother, it was a quite a nice surprise to see that happen. The only thing that I think wasn't necessary, was the kiss between Superman and Lois. Traditionally, we get to explore Clark and the kiss comes later, so that felt a little out of place. Overall, I'd happily watch this again! The suit by the way is epic! Superman actually looks like a man, natural but different in his own way, this is evidenced by the upper chest hair you see momentarily when you get a close-up of the big guy!
on 27 June 2016
Basically a remake of the wonderful the Christopher Reeve film way back when, but with the delight and charm taken out and the huge holes filled in with oozing dollops of CGI. The guy with the pecs like a pair of triggered airbags plays our hero with un-ironic woodeness; the romance between he and Lois has the chemistry of a cup of cold tea with about the only relief a little enjoyable ham from Kevin Costner as the boy in blue's father. It must be said it starts with a certain promise in the days of young superman that we are are going to get a nice retelling of the tale, but this is soon lost in the pounding 7 hour end sequence of buildings being smashed (Superman seems to have lost his concern for the little people - chucking the brick work about as enthusiastically as anyone) special forces' bullets bouncing of super baddies, warplanes blowing up and people smashing through walls again and again and again. As for the noise - I had to take my surround sound in for its 100 db service after this hammering.
on 11 May 2015
As a small child I was told that I (along with my little brother) was going to go to the cinema to see "Superman"! I waited a whole week with excitable anticipation typical of any 7 year old & was truly fit to burst by the time Saturday came. I cannot even begin to describe the disappointment with which I left the cinema a few short hours later. Having never before encountered the concept of "Superman" my 7 year old brain in that week long wait had conjured up a man, that quite frankly, was indeed SUPER!!! Handsome, POWERFUL, awesome, worthy of the name "Super-man"! What my innocent 7 year old eyes saw however was a slightly slimy looking, middle aged, ugly man who, albeit endowed with muscle, didn't seem particularly strong or POWERFUL, more a funny shape, in his Mums leotard & tights! The story wasn't much better & whilst my brother was happy to sit through the seemingly never ending sequels that followed, I considered it a strange & unusual punishment & ended up just hating Superman! In my mind, for the next 37 years Superman was quite literally rubbish! My son convinced me to buy this & it was with almost total regret that I pushed the little button that says "play". Why oh why oh why wasn't this the film I was taken to see when I was 7?? This IS what Superman should have always been! Hansome, likeable, strong, sexy & oh most definitely POWERFUL! When this Superman picks up a car you believe it. This Superman could probably play basketball with the planet Earth & still save 50 orphans before breakfast! This Superman I BELIEVE! The story was awesome & Henry Cavill is utterly brilliant as the likeable Clark & loveable Superman. With an outfit that does indeed look worthy of any hero (& not a bit like he's been in his Mums knicker drawer!) CGI has done what the blue screen never could & created a Super Hero that performs feats wholly deserving of the name & finally, in absolute truth, I cannot wait for the sequel.
on 16 September 2014
Positives:
1) This movie is the most realistic version to date. I do love the Reeves ones, but they are too comical and just not "realistic").

2) It explains pretty much everything as it goes along, so you don't have too many questions (there will always be some). But it explains things such as what's going on over on Krypton, why Superman is like he is on Earth and why they choose to send him to Earth. They also explain how he gets his costume and they actually take the time to fit it in nicely with the real "Krypton world".

3) It shows Supes struggling to be accepted into the normal world, and struggling to stay in one place because of his powers. It shows him being worried about being accepted, and it takes you through the journey (albeit through many flash backs) from him as a child, struggling in school, to becoming a hero as superman.

4) Great story. Well written dialogue, and nice CGI too. The movie is long, but for me if didn't "feel" long as I was gripped to the story.

Biggest flaws for me:
1) Lois pops up everywhere, and knows far too much (she needs her memory wiped!).
2) Too many people know about him growing up.

Now I don't see this one as a flaw, but many do: There's quite a lot of destruction in the last hour, but I think it's justified since they are "like" gods, so they would pretty much destroy anything in their path on Earth.

Also, I don't see this as a flaw either, just more of me just being picky.... Flash Backs... The first half of the movie is full of them. It's fine since they work well, but It would have worked well if they just played it all in sequence, but I guess with flash backs it allowed them to "jump around" a bit in his time line. So it's all good.

OVERALL: Buy it! Get it "used" if you want, I did, it'll be cheap. If you don't like it, sell it on, or pack it away in a dark corner of your attic. But it's worth a watch... unless you're a die hard comic fan can't look past some flaws.
on 26 April 2016
SPOILER REVIEW!
Good:
. Henry Cavill suited the role of Superman very well
. The final fight between Zod and Superman was excellent to see and a visual spectacle
. The film did a really good job at humanizing the character of Superman whereas were use to him being a bit of a boy scout it ashowed him transitioning from Clark to Superman
. When his father died it made me cry as his father was just trying to do waht was best for him
. The opening scenes on Krypton were very interesting and showed the world off very well as to what state it was in
. Zod was a fantastic villiain. He had a very valid argument for what he was doing and if I was him in that same position I would have done the same thing. He was born from cells to be a miltary commander so that's all he knows
. Special effects were fantastic and done to a very high standard
. Story was very focused on this being Superman's origin story and didn't spend time setting up other Dc films which could have happened
. Acting all around was very good in my opinion. Everyone gave a good performance
. Really liked the music done by the wonderful Hans Zimmer in this film
Bad:
. When Clark stole clothes of a washing line it didn't fir the character at all but this is a minor gripe
Conclusion:
4.5/5