VINE VOICEon 9 January 2014
This is the story of Tara. At the age of sixteen she disappears.
Family and police comb the area but find little trace of her. Over twenty years later she returns. Her brother is married with a family, her parents have aged and she still looks sixteen. She says, to her knowledge, she has been gone six months.
The story revolves around Tara and her fantastical story of what happened to her, which no one believes, her sessions with her psychiatrist and also her brother, his family and her ex boyfriend's problems, most caused either by her disappearance and/or her reappearance.
I mostly enjoyed the tale, except for the chapters where the psychiatrist is obviously writing down his thoughts on Tara's behaviour. I found that a bit tedious, but that is just me, others may find it informative.
I think the character I mainly liked was the ex boyfriend, Richie. Tara, I liked and felt sorry for but she did begin to annoy me, however, you had to remember she was just sixteen. Her brother and his family were also an interesting side issue. Tara's creepy otherworldly 'friends' were just that, creepy.
I liked the story well enough, as the four stars indicate, but I don't think I'd buy more from Graham Joyce's canon. Mainly because it is not my preferred subject matter, this being a book club read.
on 29 March 2017
There's a well known folk tale about a person who is spirited away to a faery realm and returns to find that many years have passed. Graham Joyce brilliantly re-imagines this tale in the modern world. Tara has returned after a 20 year absence but only seems to have aged a few months. Did she really cross over to a mystical world? Or is she suffering from a delusional illness? A beautifully written and poignant book.
on 22 September 2017
Even though the story is written all right, there is no point in this story. The disappearance and re-appearance of Tara doesn't add anything to the plot. Waste of time and money for the other characters and myself.
on 26 August 2017
Not sure what I thought about this book. Amiable characters, but the ideas and coarseness did not endear me to the story.
on 26 June 2017
A good strong story line throughout. Not the kind of ending as I thought but then again....why not?
on 20 November 2017
excellent book and author
on 11 August 2017
A haunting and imaginative tale, where a teenager suddenly returns after twenty years away. Was she really away with the fairies?
on 2 October 2017
The author knows his folklore and it's wonderfully woven in to this light hearted tale. Highly recommended for holiday reading!
on 5 March 2015
This book is magical and cleverly written.
on 16 July 2013
I haven't read anything this wonderful in such a long time, enjoyed it immensely. A banquet for the starving man. Joyce is "some kind of story-teller".