on 9 October 2013
So I have a nice stereo at home and all, but recently I took an interest in small portable bluetooth speakers. So I started researching. There's all these "popular" choices like the Jawbone Jambox or the Beats Pill. And then there was the JBL Flip. I'd much rather trust a brand name that has been dealing with audio equipment, big or small, for 60+ years than some companies that we've barely heard of before. So with big excitement I ordered it. Yesterday it arrived. It was slightly bigger than I had expected, but still very small. It's like a can of soda, but taller. It has a pretty good weight to it, it doesn't feel cheap at all. My first impression of the sound was that it's pretty treble heavy, but I got used to that pretty quickly and it's actually really *good* treble at that. I'm gonna say this much: It sounds GOOD. The bass isn't going to blow you away, but it's certainly there and better than the what the Beats Pill has. If you put the speaker near a wall, it sounds it's best, and there's plenty of volume. This speaker doesn't distort, it stays clean. What it does do though, is compress the sound, which can be kinda annoying. But then again, you have to be listening to max volume for it to do this.
The weak points, I'd say, is the fact that it doesn't charge over USB and that the battery doesn't hold as long as other speakers in the range. And it may not be as pretty as some of the other speakers. But if you're just looking for impressively clean and rounded sound in a small package, this is it.

Other notes:
-Bluetooth coverage seems as good as you could expect, depends on the device you're listening to though.
-When in the upright position, it tips over quite easily so I don't recommend using it like that on a unstable surface.
-The carrying case it comes with is very nice.
-Bought it for £52, so that's what I'm judging after.
-The noises it makes when powering on, connecting etc aren't nearly as annoying as some of the other BT speakers I've heard.
33 comments| 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 October 2013
It really good!!! nice sound, good quality!! easy to use i recomend it 100%
The bag that comes with is really nice!
on 27 June 2013
Very easy use item.
Been away on holiday and I found it easy to pack away.
Sound is excellent for such a tiny speaker.
Every device I have used has synced with it ok.
on 11 March 2014
I bought this because of the sub £50 price point. Battery life averages about 3.5 hours, and the bass doesn't impact at all. However, I was very impressed with the overall sound quality from such a compact speaker. The bass, even though it doesn't impact the body in any way, is defined and obviously present. The mid range and highs are clear, crisp and again, defined. Even at the highest volume setting, this speaker does not distort. I went into this purchase not expecting much, but on delivery, this product truly amazed me. Some further advice, this product uses an ac adapter to charge the battery, so you can't use mini usb to charge it. Furthermore, don't expect to use it all day away from home. You really need to be near a power socket if you intend to use it for long periods. As always, thankfully, great service and speedy delivery from Amazon. Thank you Amazon, and for everyone else's reviews.
on 14 December 2012
The JBL flip is an excellent little performer. Better value for money than the £160 Jawbone Jambox and the £200+ offering from Bose - totally over-hyped products in my opinion.
At highest volume you can get a (very) little distortion, which you'd expect from such a tiny package.
Great that you can "flip" into an upright position too, just slot into a space on your bookshelf!
Thoroughly recommended product!
on 24 November 2013
The delivery process was ok (condition and duration).

The speaker was as expected, as it worked out-of-the-box without problems. The sound quality is very good and the sound range is also very good.
The bluetooth connectivity worked ok the first time and works almost ok every time, but sometimes there are a few quirks (low battery, phone connectivity...).
The major complain is the battery, not lasting the advertised 5 hours (2-3 hours maybe, with low sound), but that could also be related to bluetooth power and distance to source (?).
But I recommend it and I'm very happy with it.
on 25 April 2014
Not as loud as other, cheaper units for a similar or even cheaper price, but has the most "rounded" sound if the other units I've heard. Pairing was ridiculously easy one down side might be the 5 hour battery life. My last logitec portable docking speakers had a minimum 10 hour battery life, and an even longer standby life. Also, the logitec carry pouch included a space for the power cable and socket, which didn't take away the look or add too much to the size for portability. The power for the Flip has to be carried separately, which fir mi is a downside, especially with such a short battery life. Otherwise, I'm pretty pleased for the amount that I paid. Delivery was quick and painless and I was sent emails confirming order placed/ order picked/ order despatched and expected delivery date. I was then sent a text on the day of delivery giving a 30 minute delivery time slot. Can't say fairer than that!!
on 10 December 2013
I am giving this five stars because it is a real plus for my Nexus 7.
Good sound and easy to use. Although I have not used it mobile yet just in my office.

It has good coverage and looks good on the shelf. Delivery was excellent.
on 30 January 2014
Good lookin speaker and sounds amazing. This delivers incredible sound from all types of music without distortion. if you max it out then the battery lasts only for two and half hours which is pathetic in this day and age. and upto five hours on medium volume.
on 9 June 2014
Excellent sound, excellent price, portable and looks good.

Unfortunately the unit cut out even when plugged in to the mains and had to be reset and reconnected again every time.

Excellent service from Amazon yet again though.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse