10,716

on 2 September 2015
It died after a year with very minimal use, and I paid a very expensive price of losing all my baby's pictures from day 1. It is very misleading that such a poor quality product has so many good reviews that encourages us to purchase the item despite so many people have faced a similar issue. I called the Samsung tech support and even though the product is still covered under warranty it does not cover for any recovery of data which I'm told can be done (95% possibility) for £500 + VAT. Yes, i will pay as it is an emotional blackmail in my case!!
HALL OF FAMETOP 10 REVIEWERon 20 January 2017
An excellent external HDD from Samsung.
Not the cheapest external HDD on the market, but very well made. I have found it very robust too - so, all in all, good value.
I bought 2. One I carry about with me, just in case I need to transfer a large amount of data between home and the office (when a file transfer would just take too long). The other I use for my weekly PC backups (using the Paragon back-up suite). It works fine and is reasonably quick on a USB 3 port on my HP Pavilion laptop.
These are also quit stylish units in their black case - smaller than some of the caddies available too.
I am very pleased with my purchase. My only gripe is that having registered the HDDs with Samsung, I am inundated with marketing rubbish from them - despite requests to the contrary. That I am not so chuffed about.
on 25 April 2017
Bought this on January 2016 and it just broke on me the other week on my Xbox One. Been using it to store my games then I noticed when I deleted games the storage space wouldn't go down =/ tried to reformat it on my PC but it wouldn't show up on my pic like my other external hard drives and it wasn't in computer management so pretty much it's useless £60-£70 down the drain.
External hard drives should last more than 1 year =/ and had to but a new one (not this) and now for some stupid reason since I redownloaded my games on the new external hard drive BT have charged me £200 😡 Yet I'm on BT infinity 1 (unlimited downloads) so thanks Samsung.
on 14 May 2016
Great portable hard drive. it comes with a USB 3.0 cable that lets you transfer data in a matter of seconds if your PC/Laptop has a USB 3.0 port. The texture on it look's really good and feel's great when holding it. It's not that heavy for the memory of it. It's small and look's great! However for the price feel like a portable case would be good to keep it safe and not let ti get scratched when a bag. It also has a LED next to the cable port to let you know when it's on and it flashed when data is being transferred or when Hard drive is being used. Other than that it deserved a 5 Starts and I recommend it.
on 19 August 2016
smart and small. so far works really well as Xbox one extra storage

Update 18/03/17 - my Xbox stopped working and would not load up for more than 3 seconds. After un plugging and taking back to the store it worked, I came home plugged it back in and again the Xbox wouldn't work. After trial and error it became apparent that the Xbox would only work when the Samsung hard drive was not plugged in. To be fair the hard drive has worked well for 7 months but I would not have expected it to have failed so early in its life. Amazon and kindly refunded this back to me - I will however be ordering the same one again as it may just have been one of those things - this is not meant to be negative, just hoping to be of use to anyone having a similar issue with their Xbox
on 2 July 2016
Well.... Initially I was very pleased with this. Easy to set up, connected perfectly on XBox One, which is what I bought it for. Less than 6 months later however, though it spins up, and the light shows blue, it's not being seen by either the XB1 or a Windows laptop. Run Seagate Tolls on it, they don't appear to show any problems present, but it's still not useable, and contains a lot of games and data that now, I can't even upload to my XBL account, ready to load on a replacement. Unhappy, because now it's too late to return, and I'm left with a doorstop (albeit for a very small door, and nicely finished). Wouldn't recommend, sorry.
on 22 May 2015
This is a Genuine Samsung product sold by Amazon. I have been using this Portable Drive for the past 3-4 months and haven’t faced any issues yet. Its a nicely designed compact drive and is easily portable which means it can slide into your pocket.

Pros:

Plug n Play – Didn’t have to install any drivers. I just plugged it in and it started working. I have used it with Windows 7/8, Linux and Mac OS X (Yosemite) without any issues.

No Format Needed – The drive comes Pre-Formatted to 'NTFS', this means the drive is usable straightaway after removing the packaging. You can re-format it to 'FAT' if you are an advanced user, however for most casual users NTFS is fine.

Fast Read/Write Speeds – I did a test of copying 50GB of files which included music, movies and other small files onto this drive within 20 minutes. This drive is USB 3.0 so to get the fastest speeds possible I recommend using a USB 3.0 port. If you do not have a USB 3.0 port then it still will work as its backward compatible but you just won’t get the fastest speeds.

Extras – There is some software included on the drive which can be used if you are backing up content from your PC, however I haven’t used any of it I just simply copy and paste data.

Cons:

Short Cable – This drive is shipped with a very small cable which is around 0.5 meters. I bought an extra 1.5m USB 3.0 cable so I can use this drive without it falling of the desk.

This is a minor fault and I would definitely recommend anyone to buy this portable hard drive.
0Comment| 129 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 December 2015
I use this hard disk as a time machine back up disk for my MacBook. The USB 3.0 functionality ensures decent transfer speeds while the size means I can fit it into a laptop sleeve if needed.

A few negative points to note however:

- this is 2011 technology, the disk speed should be 7,200 which would give a 33% faster transfer speed, instead it's 5400
- the transfer speed is capped to 480 Megabytes Per Second, most other drives are at 625

That being said it is a VERY reliable drive. I would recommend this as a daily backup drive. It is not suited to the heavy demands of a dump for video files while editing or for any large files that demand very rapid access.

Overall I'm extremely happy with the drive, for the price it's a great bargain!
on 16 October 2016
I have bought 5 of these Samsung external hard drives..........why?, because I bought 2 to store my huge amount of photos (from an older hard drive that failed and luckily I got the data back) and they still work perfectly.......but never trust an external hard drive! (EVER), they will all break down one day, for sure!!!!..........so back up. back up, back up!!!!!............this is not an advert for buying anything, I personally would want external Solid State Drive storage for all my precious files but it's too expensive for me right now.........so I got five 2 TB M3 Samsung's in the mean time and it's working OK for now..................i've given 5 stars but don't forget, NEVER fully trust a HDD........EVER!, because it will fail on you one day and they are also easy to damage in an accident!...........but I still give 5 stars for my experience of this product, just don't trust a single HDD for all your treasures, it's a recipe for sadness................when one of mine fails i'll back it up again from the copied version.
on 2 December 2016
It does what it's supposed to do.

The price is £30 more than it was when I bought one. I sent it back as I wanted to take out the 2.5" drive to put it into my PS4, the problem was that this drive is soldered to the USB3 circuit board. Not a bad thing if you are using this drive as a portable hard drive, but it limits the flexibility of the product.

As a portable drive, it's nice and solid, seemed to be well made, it's a reasonable weight. All in all it does it's job well.