Format: DVD|Change

on 1 December 2012
In 'Silver Linings Playbook' Bradley Cooper's bi- polar character, newly released from a psychiatric hospital, is determined to regain the love of his estranged wife, who he is bound by a restraining order from getting within 500 yards of. Into his life comes Jennifer Lawrence's 'Tiffany,' a straight talking widow working through her own 'issues' as she deals with her husband's death. What evolves from here is the effect these two damaged and abrasive individuals have on each other in a progressively funny, touching and yes, uplifting film.

Indeed it is an often laugh out loud experience with much of the humour coming from both characters inability not to say whatever is on their mind. Occasionally though, just as you are laughing, a scene edges into drama and reveals the darker side of their personalities and how their behaviour affects those close to them and we are reminded that these characters are not simply just `wacky' or `quirky' but are complex people living with a degree of mental illness that sometimes manifests itself through frustration and violence.

Bradley Cooper is good in the lead role but the stand out is Jennifer Lawrence who sparkles when on screen and proves here that she can handle comedy as well as sci- fi {'Hunger Games'} and indie {'Winter's Bone.'} The praise she has gotten for this role is fully justified. Watch the scene where she takes on Robert Deniro {as Cooper's father} to be impressed by her talent.

In the last quarter the film basically ditches the theme of mental illness and lets it's 'rom com' heart loose going for a more typical 'Hollywood' ending as it races towards a largely sentiment and schmaltz free conclusion in a dance competition plot climax.

A hugely enjoyable and funny film that should'nt be taken too seriously and is probably only worth 4 stars but gets an extra one just for Jennifer Lawrence.
22 comments| 73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 August 2013
It might be Jennifer Lawrence who nabbed the Oscar, but this film is a real step up for Cooper. The premise is simple, two mentally unstable people find away to cope by being together, and unfortunately the whole thing is a little predictable.
That said, the film is full of great performances that really sizzle. I particularly liked De Niro's turn as a OCD bookmaker, and the sparks between Lawrence and Cooper are excellent.
Not quite light-hearted enough to be an out-right rom-com, but plenty of humour keeps the topic of mental illness from becoming too somber and depressing.
Touches of Juno and Little Miss Sunshine.
VINE VOICEon 2 June 2013
In a year of predictable,forgettable movies , "Silver Linings Playbook" is by far the best film that I have seen so far. It stands out by a mile from all of the dross that I have watched in the cinema and on DVD. It has great acting, memorable characterisation and likeable (if often abrasive) characters. The film also portrays mental illness in an exceptional way, as both of the leading figures are mentally disturbed following bereavement and marital break up.Bradley Cooper plays a man who has just been released from a mental institution following a violent assault on his wife's lover after he caught them in flagrante in the shower together. However Cooper believes that despite his wife's restraining order he can fix up their marriage again. Cooper starts the film off as a manic character who perhaps should have stayed in an institution,rather than return to live with his parents. However he calms down a lot after he meets Jennifer Lawrence's Tiffany, a recently widowed young woman who has gone off the rails like him. Together they form a friendship which calms them both down and they start dancing together as therapy and enter a competition. However Cooper still seems fixated on reconciling with his wife , while Lawrence forms deep feelings for him. Will the well matched pair get it together in the end and help put an end to the mania and craziness that is affecting their lives ? I liked this film as it was ultimately warm hearted and I thought how lucky Cooper's character was to be surrounded by so much love and support from family and friends, when without that he could have been condemned to a life in a mental institution. In reality characters like him may well be shunned by former friends, by the opposite sex and rejected by embarrassed family members.
Want to meet a family obsessed? Welcome to Pat's family. Pat played by Bradley Cooper has signed himself out of a Baltimore Mental Facility, his mother, Delores, played by JackiWeaver, picks him up. Another patient wants a ride home, but Delores finds out he is not released. Home they go to Pat, Sr played by Robert DeNiro. This may be Deniro's best role in awhile. He plays an obsessed Philly Eagles fan, he bets money and runs an illegal game. He can't go to the stadium because he was kicked out for fighting. Pat, Jr 's goal is to get back with his wife. He caused some violence in their marriage and went for therapy in Baltimore in lieu of jail. He has been diagnosed as Bi-polar. The family obsessed!

That is the intro, into the mix comes Tiffany, played by Jennifer Lawerence, a young widow who has played around a lot. She has a goal to enter a dance contest and needs a partner, enter, Pat Jr. A rollicking funny, fast , sad time ensues, and we meet more family and friends. This is a love story and a story about people with problems who try to find their way.

Deniro's deserved an Oscar or his role. I loved his character. JackiWeaver, Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence were all terrific. A terrific film. I urge everyone to see it.

Recommended. prisrob 05-02-13
on 10 January 2013
I don't think I can wait any longer for this film to come out on DVD. I think it shows perfectly the amazing acting talent that is the stunning Jennifer Lawrence. This film is light, funny and enthralling for saying it has a focus on mental illness. Definitely a feel good film, with great lead characters.
on 14 March 2013
Based on the novel by Matthew Quick (an excellent adaption, by the way - if you liked the film you'll almost certainly enjoy the book, and vice versa), this is an original and thought-provoking romantic comedy, but don't let those two words' usual Hollywood connotations put you off.

The actual story centres on two troubled individuals each trying to come to terms with tragedy and mental illness in their lives, and their impact on those around them, who find themselves drawn together despite themselves.

Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence are both absolutely glorious (Lawrence rightly won an oscar for her performance, Cooper was nominated but lost out, almost inevitably, to Day-Lewis' Lincoln), and the film's worth watching just for these two alone, though the supporting cast is equally fantastic (yet more nominations!). The subtle weaving of pathos and hope with humour and humanity really makes this film stand out. I saw Ruby Sparks at around the same time, too, and I'd put them together as two of my favourite films of the year.

Silver Linings Playbook has become one of my favourite films altogether.

Enjoy!
on 16 May 2013
This film was recomended to me by a very close friend who has experience in the field of Bi-polar illness, she explained that the film was as close to reality that it is possible to get without actually making a documantary featuring bi-polar patients.
Having watched this film twice now I beleive I have to agree whole heartedly with her, this is a very powerful film sensitively directed by David O. Russell and suberbly acted by the two lead characters Bradley Cooper (Pat) and Jennifer Lawrence (Tiffany)
It is an amazing film and well worth watching. this film has gone straight in to my permanent collection.
on 25 January 2014
I have been looking forward to watching this film, carefully choosing a time where my son and husband would not be there so I could listen without comments. However, I ahve to say I am completely stunned by the awards? It was an OK romcom to watch on a Sunday after cooking lunch and a few glasses of wine, you could drop off to sleep for a good half hour and miss nothing. The joke about stereotype asian consultant made my skin crawl, not funny. Actually, the more I write the more I realise how much I disliked it, so I had better stop. I thought the acting was completely over the top too.
on 31 December 2014
Before I watched this movie, the only thing I knew about Jennifer Lawrence was that she was in X-Men First Class so when I read the synopsis I approached this film a little warily. It isn't an easy movie to watch and the main characters are deeply flawed. Lawrence's character in particular is pretty obnoxious to start but I'm glad I stuck with it. It proved to be to be of the most intense films I have ever experienced. Jennifer Lawrence's performance is nothing short of incredible, a word I don't use lightly as it is very overused. Having watched her in over a dozen films of differing genres I have no hesitation in saying she is proving to be one of the most versatile actresses of this generation and totally worthy of her academy award.
I would recommend this title to anyone wanting a little more meat in their movies than the usual Hollywood fluff.
on 11 March 2015
This was a film I had very little interest in. In fact I probably went out of my way to not see it. It had a plot which didn't interest me and a cast which I wasn't overly bothered about. How wrong was I? When this finally fell on my lap and left with little else to do but to stick it in the player I was pleasently surprised.

Silver Linings Playbook is a bright, sweet and genuinely funny movie. Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence are an absolute blast and carry this film superbly. The story is engaging and witty and has the right amount of sentiment balanced with laughs.

Tackling a sensitive subject with such skill Silver Linings really is a joyful experience. Well worth a watch if you missed it.