Format: DVD|Change

on 9 April 2014
This is an ok movie to watch. Personal I think they should just drop the romantic tag from the genre, then again I did not really find anything funny about the movie either so I guess that will have to go as well. Having said that this was not the worst representative of the genre, yes the humour is more crude than funny, but that is just the way things are going. Luckily these were a lot less and far between. So that was liveable. The crude factor is toned done more in this movie then in others of its kind. An ok movie I did not feel as bad renting it as I did not buy it. The only reason I would give this 3 stars instead of the 2 is because the acting is a notch above usual. There are a couple of times during speeches that actually make the movie worth watching.
on 14 January 2013
How disappointing this film is! I was so looking forward to watching the film after all the hype and its supposed similarities with 'Bridesmaids. It was so boring but I kept watching hoping it had been a slow start and would get better as it went along! Not to be, it was one of the worst films I have ever watched, so unfair to the league of good actors and actresses that were in it. The bottom line is it just wasn't funny, safe your money!!
on 16 June 2013
The film starts off with some crude over the top humor at an attempt to be cute and clever. It doesn't work well and nearly caused me to eject my DVD. It then settles down to a circle of friends, 2 couples plus Jason (Adam Scott) and Julie (Jennifer Westfeldt) who are very close friends who know each other too well to have a sexual relationship.

The film flash forwards 4 years. The couples have kids and their lives are in disarray. Julie surmises she wants to have a child, be a divorced mom so she can find the man of her dreams. Her friend Jason agrees to father the child and be "100% committed 50% of the time." Things work out as they have a nanny and most important Jason helps out with the child. Their home is neat and clean unlike their married friends. They have an open arrangement and it is time for the soul mates to move on and start dating other people. At this point the comedy takes a serious wane as a shallow film attempts to find some depth. It doesn't work.

Kristen Wiig, a fan favorite was excellent in her brief role. For people who like odd romantic comedies, this might do as a rental.

PARENTAL GUIDE: Frequent F-bombs, sex, brief Internet nudity, sex talk.
on 14 September 2013
Based on reading so may of the 1 star reviews I expecting something awful but it wasn't. It was a lovely story about friendship and love. The ending was pretty standard and obvious but the film as a whole was sweet, clever, witty and once again...lovely. The two lead roles were great, Adam Scott was fab.
on 4 March 2013
Okay! So the 15 certificate tells you that the film has adult content but I guess it depends on the definition of adult. This film has good moments and performances but like so many in the genre is completely ruined by guttural sexual interplay trying to disguise itself as witty dialogue. Is this Hollywood's strategy to get men into cinemas to watch romcoms? Possibly the worst and most tasteless final scene in history-discuss! When Harry met Sally is Shakespeare compared to this film.
on 18 June 2014
What a waste of an hour and a half. Trite, poorly acted (total waste of Chris O'Dowd's talent) rubbish. A cringe-worthy pile of nonsense which was the nearest visual thing to dragging nails down a blackboard. I thought with the Bridesmaids cast in tow it would have been at least half as brilliantly funny. But no. Don't waste your time. It was p**
on 11 November 2012
I saw this at the cinema and honestly wished I hadn't bothered. A good evening's entertainment it wasn't.

It's about a group of friends moving on from being responsibility free to having children and how their relationships change. The woman who wrote and directed this also stars in it as one of the group who is single but would quite like a child. So she enters into this strange arrangement with a male member of the group to get pregnant and they agree to both have an equal part in bringing up the child without having to be in a relationship.

The couples who are married and have kids just end up bickering throughout this movie. If I want to watch that I can turn on any number of trashy reality TV shows at home. The couple who are bringing up a child without being in a relationship are too smug and you have little sympathy for them as characters.

The dialogue is at times cringe worthy (especially the last few lines of the whole film which literally had me wanting to hide under my seat). There is very little humour in this film. I've seen Bridesmaids and was howling with laughter. I left this film feeling depressed.
on 3 August 2014
I'm not sure if it's just me but for the majority of the film I couldn't understand a word that Westfeld was saying. Most of her dialogue was delivered with a stiff upper lip into her chin. I even wondered at one point if she was deaf as she doesn't seem to pronounce her consonants - not mentioned when Googled. A frustrating, cheesy, laboured piece of work.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 28 July 2014
After enjoying Bridesmaids that featured some of the cast of this film I was looking forward to watching this but at the time of release the reviews put me off. However, it was on TV the other night so I recorded it and watched it and I actually quite enjoyed it. It was better than I expected.

If you've got kids you will find it amusing what happens to the two happily married couples once they have kids! The groups other two single friends (Jason and Julie) who have known each other since college but have never been attracted to each other decide to have a baby together and share joint custody. They don't want to end up like their married friends. They would rather have the baby now and then look for 'the one'. Jason is a bit of a player. He can never hold a relationship down. Julie had a 9 year relationship that ended and now she finds it hard to meet anyone new. Her and Jason are great friends. They decide to have sex to make the baby which they find awkward but next she's giving birth and then they show their married friends up by coping admirably with their baby and their unusual situation.

Jason meets a woman (Megan Fox) and starts to get serious for the first time in his life but then Julie realises she's developed feelings for Jason. Since Jason is now dating she also starts to date (Edward Burns) but it's not long before she needs to let Jason know how she feels which interrupts their perfect little set up.

It's predictable but it's also funny and poignant in parts. I wasn't sure if the two leads had much chemistry or that I was truly convinced of Jason's turnaround in feelings but it was an enjoyable film (it's quite a long film) but I felt the ending was a bit sudden. I would have liked a little 'look into the future'.

Chris O'Dowd was excellent in Bridesmaids but in this one he's using an American accent which doesn't always work, he keeps slipping into irish. Kristen Wigg from Bridesmaids has a small part. Adam Scott who plays Jason is the star of the show I would say.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 13 May 2015
The Good: l found this to be a pretty enjoyable movie for exploring the "friends with kids" topic in a fairly convincing, well-acted way. It explores the idea of friend-love vs romantic-love, and what happens when two best friends who aren't attracted to one another, decide to continue dating other people whilst having a child together just to "get the kid-making thing out the way", coz they both want kids, and think their stable friendship relationship is so stable, that what better "stable home" could their kid ask for? Time will tell just how it works!

The Bad: It's marketed as a romantic comedy but as a comedy, I didn't find it very funny; a little overly crass and uncomfortable in places, but thankfully not too much so it was still very watchable. At times I felt the script needed a little tightening; there's a lot of "atmospheric" characters talking over one another and at times some of the characters' rambles are a little on the long side. Also the ending felt to me to be a little aburpt ~ it would have been improved if the credits had little photo-album type insights rolling alongside the credits, showing "what happened next" clips to ease us out of the story more happily and more gently.

Overall: A watchable film that leans towards the chick flick side.