Format: DVD|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 21 March 2017
There's something oddly compelling about watching the first series of The Following, even though at times it's truly disgusting (lots of sound effects of knives squelching into bodies, lots of foul things done to those bodies before or after death) there's always a sense that our heroes are going to be fine - that you know there are more episodes to come so they must make it out again to fight another day.

I've seen reviews suggesting that it's all just a way to make Kevin Bacon run around in the dark shooting people and I have to admit that they make a solid point. But squelching and bleeding aside, the concept is compelling - the idea that a man locked up as a serial killer could set up a 'following' of acolytes ready to kill (others or themselves) at a moment's notice, is chilling and even though it seems ridiculous written down like that, I'm willing to suspend disbelief in the name of entertainment.

Kevin Bacon is oddly excellent. Never a particularly good looking guy in his youth, he seems to have grown into his face as he's aged and is the more interesting for not being too pretty.

The FBI investigations are a mix of the "Oh wow, I had no idea they could do that" and the "How dumb do you have to be to not spot that" but that's also more interesting. I'm sure Joe Carroll could have been killed off a dozen times but then there's be no excuse for series 2 or 3.
on 20 April 2017
I like Kevin Bacon and bought it for this reason, and kept watching as long as I could, but given the sickening subject matter had to give it up eventually, what is worrying is the fact that so many people gave it 5 stars!!, I hope I am able to find more enlightening ways in which to enjoy myself.!!
on 3 May 2017
Fear and mass murder in the city. Cop Kevin Beacon goes to war with collage professor Of English(Carroll) played by James Purefroy who is i my view miscast. He is a cult leader and writer. I think he failed to be convincing like Hopkins or De Nero. Instead we have steady and also most likeable mass murdered who we soon realise can not be all he claims. But it did not fail to make this a gripping drama series with some really back of the sofa moment to have misses and faint hearted with terror. Really scary and gruesome stuff.
on 10 May 2017
I am a horror addict and will watch pretty much any horror even one which is very poor. However, this TV series is excellent. Acting is brilliant and the action is thrilling. Its gruesome, violent and anxiety provoking. Joe Carroll is suitably nasty and plays a good psychopath against Ryan, the hero. I would totally recommend this.
on 9 May 2017
Ridiculous but weirdly addictive. The serious is full of scrap, but my husband and I carried on watching it while hitting our heads to the walls.
on 15 April 2017
Enjoyed the series very much. Bit scary at times so not suitable for young children
on 25 April 2017
Disks played well. Story a bit predictable.
on 3 May 2017