Format: Audio CD|Change

on 20 July 2014
What is the purpose of listening to music? Surely it is for enjoyment and this disc so wonderfully invites you to fully enjoy it. Yes it is different from Diana Krall's usual recordings but I doubt that it is a permanent departure from her usual routes. So just forget labels as to which genre this recording belongs in because it covers many styles from the honky tonk We Just Couldn't Say Goodbye, the jazz styled Butterfly That's caught in the Rain, the country style Prairie Lullaby, the bluesy Lonely Avenue, the rocking I'm a Little Mixed Up, the very theatrical When the Curtain Comes Down and so on. This CD is pure enjoyment and to my way of thinking that is what it's all about.
on 28 February 2017
If you are not familiar with Diana Krall then i can assure you that any one of her recordings ether on CD or vinyl will be a pleasure to listen to. Buy with confidence.
on 14 May 2017
It is a very good CD
on 27 April 2017
Great Voice, good choice of songs, great cover photos......
on 11 April 2015
A new take on her style very good ,nice cover!,,,
on 12 April 2017
May I first let off some steam regarding the cover? Many reviewers, here and elsewhere, bashed the cover. I am of the opinion that if Diana can pull it off, then why wouldn't she? Women's Lib is about expressing oneself, and NOT about putting us back in the ball and chain we shook. I salute you for your courage, Diana (okay I borrowed this one from Alanis Morrisette...!)

Now the thing that truly matters - the music. I like it that Diana chose 1920s songs for this album. The decade was called the "Jazz Age" for a reason, and it is sorely neglected by Jazz artists. Why? Was it not politically correct enough? The thing is, the history of Jazz goes back into the late 19th century and this incredibly diverse style of music deserves to be given a holistic approach.

That said, Diana is not doing all that well here. I like the first 6 songs, they reflect the spirit of those early Jazz decades. The only thing I miss here is Diana's excellent piano play, which I find should have been made more prevalent rather than just an also-ran as it is. From then onward, the album went rapidly downhill for me. For the most part, she stuck with 1920s and early 1930s songs, but she turned songs with cheerful lyrics full of warmth and hope and love of life into funeral music. One example is the bonus track "Garden in the Rain," which she could have sung with so much feeling, bringing the lyrics to life by turning them into a daydream in the mind's eye of a listener. This is indeed the impression the lyrics conjure up, but instead she allows the eerie mood of almost two-thirds of the album to take it over. "When the Curtain Comes Down" could have been the perfect ending to collection of songs trailing through the Jazz Age like a storybook, what with the decade ending in disaster (Black Friday) and so on, as it is presented here, for she kept the original downbeat mood of the song intact.

Diana, what is going on??? I normally let the music speak for itself, but on this occasion I googled up what I could find about your private life: NO divorce, NO illness, NO kid trouble... = NO reason to be so downbeat about things.

And the mysterious riddle continues on "Wallflower," which I previewed on Prime and subsequently didn't bother purchasing. But... I do have Turn Up the Quiet on pre-order, as what I have previewed from it sounds highly promising.
on 29 October 2012
OK if you want to listen to "A night in Paris" or "The Look of Love" (both of which are great, and I have them and listen to them) - well listen to them I guess! I applaud Diana for an album which is a slight departure from some of the things she has done before. I applaud her especially for looking beyond the classic female jazz vocalist songbook - which she has shown many times she can perform as well or better than the best. So if you want to hear Diana interpreting some different material, and doing it with her usual style and panache, then this album is for you. It is also for you if you like jazz and have a genuine appreciation for the intimate relationship between jazz and the blues. It is also for you if you like Diana's husky delivery, which suits some of this material really well.

No comment directly on some of the other reviews, but "pompous", "ignorant about the roots of jazz", not to mention "narrow minded" are comments that might apply to some of them. Really, what do some of you expect? That she will simply reprise the material she and others have already done more than once? She's an artist - she needs to grow. Great Diana, more please. I think you're great at the classics, and my respect for you as an artist has increased as a result of this album. Keep listening to the 78s!
22 Comments| 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 October 2012
A fine and long awaited album from the ever popular Ms Krall. Despite the attention grabbing album cover there is also much to grab the attention inside. No lush orchestrations or jazz standards, just simple tunes, nicely sung, with, at times minimal backing. This puts Diana's voice to the fore and she does just nicely in her own laid back and husky kind of way.
The whole album really could belong in enother era which combines elements of Gypsy jazz, barrel house blues and some good old romantic balladry. Mark ribot on guitar plays a very big part of the accompaniment on this album and Diana's own piano playing often takes a back seat. Many of the tunes have a nice stripped down and laid back affair with minimal backing which is quite unlike her previous albums.
For me this is a much better album than the very low key "Quiet Nights" which gained as much criticism as it did praise. This is a brave and bold step from Diana which may disappoint her Non-jazz fan listeners but for those who can put aside the rapid change of direction then there is much to be enjoyed.
on 21 February 2015
I was never much of a fan of jazz music. Until, that was, Lucy Woodward started leaning that way with her 2008 release of her second album "...Is Hot & Bothered" and completed her move to jazz singer with her third, 2010's "Hooked!" In seeking out new artists to expend my experience of this new genre, the name of Diana Krall came up again and again and so it made sense to check out the latest album from such a highly respected artist, that album being "Glad Rag Doll".

The final track is a single jarring note in what has been a smooth and flawless album in all other ways, mixing reflection, relaxation and sheer enjoyment with a little jazz and a little blues. It's got a classic sound, but it's perfect for the modern age, as it's designed to strip the busyness of life away from you. At 13 tracks and roughly 57 minutes of playing time, it has plenty of time to weave its magic and you'll be under the spell of the album long before the end. The album is certainly enough for me to lose my cares and enjoy over and over again and it's calming and beautiful and effective every single time I do.

This review may also appear, in whole or in part, under my name at any or all of www.ciao.co.uk, www.thebookbag.co.uk, www.goodreads.com, www.amazon.co.uk and www.dooyoo.co.uk
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 11 November 2012
I have been waiting for a new album from Ms Krall, and was a little shocked and dismayed by the cover image, which is surely not necessary to sell this excellent musicians work. (Hence only 4 stars)

Getting beyond this....

It is however a gem of an album with no fancy orchestras, just simple ballads and songs performed very well indeed.

(It is after all that husky voice that is Diana Krall), and in this album we get to enjoy that voice at its very best with minimal backing.

An excellent album, which I have been listening to over and over again...