5,444
Colour Name: Honey|Change

This cover provides neat, close-fitting protection for your Kindle. The Kindle slots into a moulded plastic tray at the back of the case, with nothing intruding onto the device itself. A section at the bottom of the Kindle is left exposed to allow permanent access to the micro USB port. The front cover is thin and lacks additional padding, but 12 months of carrying a baby Kindle around in a case with a similar-style cover has resulted in no harm, so I'm reasonably confident in the protection this will provide.

The leather is textured and has been applied as a surface covering to both the front section of the cover and the plastic tray at the rear. The leather doesn't have the lovely, soft tactile sensation that went with Amazon's Kindle Keyboard covers but doesn't seem to mark as easily as the Amazon leather covers for the baby Kindle/Kindle Touch models (a fingernail is enough to leave a permanent scrape on those). The purple colourway I ordered is disappointing - much darker than product photos suggest.

The cover bends back easily enough for one handed reading, but the 'spine' section on the latest version of the Amazon brand cover does seem to have been reinforced, so that it doesn't flop awkwardly backwards if you prefer to hold the cover two-handed. The microfibre lining of the interior is very shallow-piled and resembles black denim.

The biggest problem I had with the last generation of Amazon cases - the lack of closing mechanism - has been addressed here, courtesy of a lightweight magnet. This works simply, engaging when you shut the cover, and requires no extra fiddling.

The cover isn't cheap, but is comparable in price to cases currently offered by Verso and Marware. The auto wake/auto switch off facility this brings to Kindle usage is what really sets the Amazon cover apart from competitors - all that's needed to wake your charged Kindle is to open the cover... It's a nice idea, but not one I'm altogether convinced by since turning a Kindle on/off by flicking a switch really isn't that onerous!

The cover is presented in a printed cardboard sleeve: if you're planning to make this (part of) a present, this is a much more attractive set-up than the simple plastic bags in which the Amazon covers for Kindle/Kindle Touch arrive.

PROS

- Cover has an inbuilt closing mechanism
- Lightweight and snug-fitting
- Textured leather doesn't mark ridiculously easily
- Includes auto wake/switch off facility

CONS

- Feels a bit hard and plastic-ey
1111 comments| 700 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 October 2013
A piece of advice I was given was roughly along the lines of "once you've bought something you forget the price". This is quite an expensive cover when you weigh up the price of the Kindle it will be holding. However, it will either make or break the experience of using your Kindle once you have bought it. This is what I thought - why buy a premium eReader and then stick it in a sub-standard case? Having seen many of the cheaper cases, up to and including ones for around £20, the quality of this one is very apparent. As you would expect, it fits the Paperwhite perfectly, with nothing obscuring the device like the straps in each corner found on cheaper cases. This makes it much smaller and slimmer too than similar products. The materials are lovely, and the detailing of the Kindle logo inside the front cover and the clasp really give it a touch of class. Aside from looking and feeling nice, I'm sure it would protect the device very well from most accidents or the rough and tumble of being thrown in a bag etc. When using the Kindle it is unobtrusive and is equally as nice to use open as it is with the front cover folded back behind the device. My only gripe with it when folded back is that the clasp can sometime feel a bit awkward depending on where your fingers lie. The auto sleep-wake feature works really well and allows for an authentic book reading experience of picking the Kindle up, opening the cover and starting to read without having to press any buttons or choose items on screen. Same goes when you've finished, just close the cover and the Kindle goes into sleep mode automatically. Overall it is expensive, but I feel well worth it.
0Comment| 403 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
E-book covers, boring eh? You've just dropped some wedge on your reader and then you gotta buy a cover for it. So, get something cheap non? Eh, well, no.

I have just upgraded from a kindle keybord to the 2015 kindle paperwhite, I will be reviewing that in due course. After buying that the next purchase had to be the leather cover.

This thing is smart, very nice. First of all the build quality is excellent, the main body of the cover is a plastic tray, this is qute thick and has a rubberized feel to it. The tray has a lip all the way round (apart from a notch to allow access to the on/off switch and the USB/charging connector. To insert your kindle you pop it in and the lip clamps tight all round the kindle. It is held very securely and looks very neat.

The front cover is a simple flap with a leather cover, the leather is textured and the inner surface of the cover is a nice looking grey which almost looks and feels like faded denim. The word 'kindle' is subtly printed here. The rear of the plastic tray also has a leather panel, same colour and texture as the front flap.

To open the cover simply lift it, there is a magnetic catch that also functions as a wake up switch for the kindle. If your kindle in sleep mode (that is, displaying those slightly annoying ads, it will activate the backlight). If your kindle is totally switched off the catch switches the machine straight on, past the sleep screen.

I really, really like this cover, it is perfectly form fitting and really makes the kindle much easier to hold, it adds no significant weight or bulk to the paperwhite and adds to the 'booklike' experience of using the paper white.

This is really a no-brainer, essential purchase for anyone who has invested in a kindle paperwhite.
review image review image
Colour Name: Onyx Black|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The new cover seems to add as little bulk as possible to the Kindle, whilst protecting it and looking smart. The Paperwhite lighting means the bulk needed for a light in previous covers (eg the Sony) is no longer impeding easy use.
11 comment| 532 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 March 2013
Having upgraded from Kindle to Kindle paperwhite, I thought it would be wise to protect my new product.I like to look after my 'stuff'. I must say that when my package arrived early and in great shape, I was disappointed with the colour of my Case. (Electric purple)It's actually quite a dark,dull purple. I thought that the wrong one had been sent. However, I know it does the same job so I have kept it. Wish I had ordered the fuschia one. Just beware if colour is important to you. Otherwise all is fab and I am really enjoying my new paperwhite...
review image
44 comments| 137 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 September 2015
When I received the case I was initially impressed by the feel of quality - and the case fit the Kindle perfectly.

However, after a couple of weeks of careful use (I always carry the case in a laptop bag or rucksack), I noticed that the plastic/rubbery film/paint around the corners started flaking off revealing a coarse dark plastic corner - which meant that the case no longer looked as attractive.

This would probably be less noticeable if I had a dark colour case - but in the honey (more like lemon/lime colour) the dark corners were really obvious. I queried this with Amazon and they speedily sent me a replacement. The finish on the replacement is not as good as the first - the leather cut-outs that are attached to the plastic case shell are unevenly shaped/crinkly on corners and there is a small tear/nick on the leather - so doesn't feel really premium. I think that the issue with the plastic film peeling off from the corners is a design fault and will reoccur on the new case.

The magnetic catch works OK - but it has a lip on that means if you store in a bag with other things such as books/tablets - these catch on the lip of the catch. The case does trigger sleep/wake as expected.
I chose this case because it protects the edges of the Kindle with an all round sleeve - I am not so keen on those with corner grips/elastic - but I now think this case will not wear well.
review image review image
on 14 November 2012
The Paperwhite Kindle fits snugly inside the case, not too tightly but tight enough for it not to fall out. The front and back is a leather-type material which looks and feels very nice. The front is not thick enough to prevent it bending in onto the screen if you press hard against it or drop something heavy on it, but it's most definitely strong enough to resist scratches or light bumps, say sat in a rucksack rattling around. There is a rubber strip running around the outside so the Kindle is completely encased.

The lock mechanism works pretty well. It doesn't seem all that secure but if you hold it upside down by the sides, the front stays put thanks to the magnetic clasp. What I still think is neat is the switching on and off as you open and close the case. I have not used the Kindle long enough but I am sure this only helps extend the battery life when not in use.

The front cover flips over like the front cover of a magazine. It's easy to hold with one hand, with the cover flipped back on itself, or with the cover half-open. Either works well.

It's over-priced in my opinion for what it is but I'm glad I bought it and recommend it if you're looking for a decent case.
on 7 February 2016
I purchased this case as i wanted a way to protect my new kindle. I was going on holiday and wanted to be able to take all my books to read on the beach and relax. However in the sun the case started to melt! It wasn't anything extreme but it was enough to cause some cosmetic damage to the side of the case. The plastic on the ends became slightly liquidy and came off and now the side has a noticeable cosmetic defect. Obviously this was not good and didn't help with the relaxation on the beach! However it caused no functional damage to the case and the kindle itself is fine so i guess it fulfilled the reason for a case which was to protect the kindle itself.
The case is actually pretty god aside from that. The case feels nice on both the holding part and the cover part. I especially like the texture on the inside. Very nice looking and the magnetic strip does shut off the kindle when closed and helps prolong battery life.
I would recommend, just don't take it to the beach.
on 26 October 2012
I've had a few Kindles and have always bought the official cover, despite the fact that cheaper alternatives are always available, mainly because Amazon have unerringly supplied me with quality products and the official covers have usually had some form of extra functionality.

In previous covers this has been provided by the built-in lights in the cover, but this time, as the Paperwhite has its own light, the cover automatically sleeps and wakes the Kindle as you close and open the case. And I have to admit that, while it's not exactly difficult or time-consuming simply pressing the button on the Kindle, it's a little touch that adds just a little bit more joy to using the Kindle.

The cover itself is very slim, fits the Kindle perfectly and looks neat and smart sat on your desk or bedside table. The front is ever so slightly padded and the brushed metal accent of the magnetic clasp adds to the appeal and seems to keep the cover reasonably securely closed, as long as you don't wave your Kindle in the air. The texture of the leather reminds me somewhat of some old leathery library books that sat on the shelves at my school and evokes feelings of quality and learnedness.

At the end of the day it's a cover, so there's nothing to lose any sleep over, but what it does it does well and it's certainly a quality product.

Marked down by one star as it's probably a tenner too expensive.
55 comments| 281 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 January 2016
Fits my new Paperwhite Kindle perfectly, but then as it's built by Amazon it should do!

However, if I was buying a new case today, I'd probably look for one which allow my Kindle to stand up-right without assistance, so that I can read whilst doing other things....