1,152

on 30 January 2014
After reviewing many Wifi adapters, the given was to avoid nano adapters as they couldn't handle long hours of surfing/HD streaming, the larger better range adapters were simply ugly and inconvenient to place. I went for the mini because it had 300Mbps which was a prerequisite for me plus it has small and sleek look. I am thoroughly happy with the adapter it performs very well at a long distance and doesn't have a drop in connection, I would recommend this item.

Why 4 stars and not 5? Well, another reviewer mentioned that it gets hot and that leads to a slow down in speed. This did happen to me, but only once, and since then I have connected it to a USB extension where it happily sits on my desk rather than glued to the back of my PC. The installation CD that came with it is rubbish, don't bother installing it simply use the CD as a coaster for your tea. Instead download the very latest drivers from the TP-Link website and away you go! A nice working WiFi adapter for £10!

I hope that helps.
11 comment| 76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 February 2014
I bought one of these a few days ago to replace a faulty built-in wireless card on an ASUS netbook. I use LinuxMint and needed a linux-compatible card. An earlier reviewer said they had bought one and it worked on Linux. However, mine did not, it seems that version #1 of this adapter is supported by the kernel, whereas version #2 is not.
To confirm which version you have:-
Type “lsusb” without the quotes into a Terminal window
The result should look something like this:-
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0bda:8179 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
If it shows ID 0bda:8179 you have version #2, if it shows ID 0bda:8176 you have version #1
After doing some ‘googling’ I had enough information to be able to locate the source code and compile and install the correct driver. If, like me, you have version#2, the following commands typed (or copied/pasted) into a Terminal window will :-
1) Download and install (from Linux repos) all the software required, if not already installed, to add a git repository and compile drivers from the source code.
2) Create a working folder within your home folder into which the source code will be downloaded from GitHub.com.
3) Compile,install and verify the installation of the driver.
4) Close the Terminal window.

sudo apt-get install git git-core
sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-generic git
mkdir ~/RTL8188EU
sudo depmod -a
sudo update-initramfs -u
sudo modprobe 8188eu
exit

The above commands were copied/pasted from my Terminal window after successfully installing the driver onto my netbook running LinuxMint 16 and a desktop machine running LinuxMint 14.

Hope this helps someone. Good Luck.
on 5 January 2013
Well this little USB b/g/n adapter certainly done the business in speeding up my four year old laptop WiFi connection.
Simple to install and also works with Linux Mint KDE as well as Windows 7..nice and compact too!
on 16 October 2012
This amazingly tiny and good looking wireless adapter caught my eye at the computer shop and even though i wanted it for my Apple Macintosh PowerBook G4 and it does not list OS X as being compatible I bought it anyway.

Eager to get this thing working on my Mac I did a bit of searching on Google and managed to find a great third party driver, just for OS X.

It was really easy to setup and I have to say the speed and signal strength is really top notch. I managed to get 100% signal (tried at around 40 feet away from my router) and got the maximum speed of my broadband connection.

Works reliably and the OS X driver uses very little CPU resources (less than 1%).

Tip to get this working on an Apple Mac: Search Google for TL-WN725N Chipset. Once you find the chipset (i forgot what chipset it uses) then search for an OS X driver for that chipset. It is called something like Green WLan or Green something. Just install it, restart the computer and you are ready to go.

Value: 10/10
Easy of use: 10/10
Reliability: 10/10
Function: 10/10
on 6 March 2016
I bought this because my ASUS laptop had problems with wifi connection (see the first 3 photos). The router isn't near enough to give strong wifi signal and my built in wifi adapter on my laptop doesnt seem to work with weak signals. I had this delivered today using amazon prime and it works brilliantly. For the first time I have full bar wifi connection from the same place I was sitting the day before (see last picture). Installation was quick and easy, you can use the small cd or just download it online. Great product overall.
review image
on 15 April 2013
Wireless became disabled and had to use Ethernet cable. Unsure this item would work with windows 8.At the price it was worth a try. Product arrived within 2 days. Inserted into USB slot. Requested security key. Entered and had immediate access to the internet. Would recommend purchase without hesitation
on 2 July 2016
To start with, Windows 10 doesn't recognise the device and is unable to find drivers for it automatically. Not often I buy a piece of new hardware and Windows doesn't recognise it! Then, if you are foolish enough to use the drives which come on the accompanying CD, Windows will list the network adaptor as fully functional, but if you attempt to connect to a wireless router you'll find it's another story altogether as it it will list... nothing. Can't find anything. Now this could be a red herring - although there are plenty of 2.5Ghz routers in my vicinity, there's only one 5Ghz. However, I tried the CD on 3 different Windows 10 machines and not a single one of them could see any devices.

Next I did what I should have done when first realising Windows didn't have a driver and which is to download the latest version from the TP-LINK website. After removing the old driver and installing the new, the adaptor could now see my TP-LINK Archer C2600 device.

Which leads me onto my third point. Despite being only 4 meters from the router, the connection speed is abysmal - 144mps, a far cry from the 433 it claims. I know this is a maximum, but even so, I was expecting something better than this. I doubt this will last long, I'll end up paying more money for a more robust non-nano unit.

Edit: Revising my rating from 3 to 1 after spending an afternoon streaming music and having it drop the connection every few minutes. Would seem to be adapter related as other devices (RaspberryPi, Dell Venue 8 Pro) stream fine and don't drop.
on 1 August 2015
Brilliant little device and works brilliantly for my PC . Really easy to commence - I found it easier to do via Desktop via devices and default and connect via WiFi that way. rather than the software they want you to do it with. Mighty fast. You know its on when you see the little green light pulsating. Its just the little on switch on the device is so little you can tell if its depressed or not but when I saw the little light. BINGO all systems were go. I know I am not being technical here but proves that if I skirted my way around it - it truly is a user friendly device for remote use of PC with ROuter.
on 2 December 2012
I had doubts when I bought this product as to its ability to produce a wi-Fi connect for a desktop computer. But my doubts were soon dismissed as soon as I had it up and running. No complaints whatsoever about the setup or performance.
Would recomend it without doubt
on 9 June 2016
I've struggled for over a year with wifi signal strength on my Macbook Air, I have a Sky wireless extender, a TP Link wireless access point running as a repeater and a Netgear repeater, none of which made a blind bit of difference no matter where in the house I placed them. I bought this wireless adapter on a whim for 7 quid to see if it'd make any difference and after installing the drivers/restarting and then disabling the built in wifi it connected to my router instantly with 99% signal strength. The only downside is that it sticks out of the USB port around an inch unfortunately so there's more of a chance it'll get damaged, even if it does, I'd be happy to purchase it again.