on 24 August 2012
I recently bought one of these from a local dealer and I have to say this is the best camera I've ever used. My requirements were I wanted a camera that was still set up for excellent still work, but could also switch to taking videos.

Still work
The 18MP sensor is all I need for helping me to take incredibly detailed shots which even of subjects at a distance can easily be cropped and or blown up to help reveal the detail (I'm a wildlife photographer mostly, though not all the time). The fast shutter speed also helps with taking sharp images of moving subjects such as birds in flight.

Video work
This is the main area of expansion for me, although I don't use any of the dedicated canon series of lenses for video work. Instead I've mostly connected my 100-400 EF lens, which thanks to its extra width allows for more light to enter the camera which is perfect for taking high definition videos of distant subjects that you simply cannot get close to. An additional bonus with this camera is when I add the canon EF 2x III extender into the mix. Normally an extender added to a canon 100-400 EF lens will result in the loss of the autofocus working, but when I switch the 650D to video mode, the autofocus WORKS! (and without taping the pins) I don't know exactly why, it just does, maybe its the firmware inside the camera. Still photos can of course still be taken when in video mode, but you need to look at the screen instead of through the viewfinder.

Video can be recorded in brackets of several seconds which can then be watched in order to give the impression of a continous effect. Usually so far I just film with the standard settings (at 1080 high def) which results in a file that is just a bit short of thirty minutes long. If you run over this time though I think the camera does instantly create and start recording to a second file (this is in the manual, I've not actually had to put this to the test yet).

Because video work brings a whole new dimension to this camera you do need to consider a few things. One is that recording videos on the max quality setting will result in some large file sizes, so you will need a memory card to accomdate these. I would not consider anything less than 32GB which is what I have now, but I'm giving serious thought to replacing this with a 64GB card in the near future. Two, if you don't already have one get a tripod, especially if you are filming things at high magnifications. With still work you can get away with a little judder by using a fast shutter speed, but video will always show it in detail. Of course another advantage of a tripod is that you can be in your own films! You also have to consider the sound pickup from the microphones that are on top of the camera. Even when you turn their sensitivity down they can still pick up unwanted sounds such as the autofocus motors for the lens that you are using. Canon has timed the release of two lens to coincide with the launch of the 650D that have extra quiet motors for video work, but unless you are using these always consider the noise of the lens as a factor. If you manually focus though, you'd probably get little to no sound from the lens at all, and depending upon your subject and its location, manual focus might actually be preferable. You can also fit a second external mic into the jack on the left hand side of the camera which should overide the feed from the fitted mics as soon as it is connected. The kind of mic to use would depend on how you want to record sound, but I myself am looking at getting a decent shotgun mic since this will mostly pick up sound in a narrow arc in front of it, and the subjects I've started filming are usually some distance in front of the camera.

The other major conideration is battery life. Over a six hour period of combined still shooting and video work where I might take up to an hour of video and have around 150-200 stills, I'd probably use up around half the battery. This is okay for a limited shoot around a local area but not so great if away for the day since at some point you are likely to exhaust you battery depending upon the lens, settings and how much video/stills you take. A second battery would be a very good idea if you are likely to be spending upto a full dawn till dusk day shooting.

Other features about the 650D are the touchscreen display which has easily recieved the most attention at the launch of this camera. I have tried this, and I do find it to be very responsive, but to be honest I don't rely upon it and rarely use it. Touch screen would mean getting my fingerprints (or rather smudges) on it and this is not desirable when you need the screen clean for video work. You can still navigate around the screen by using the buttons like on all previous Canon models. The processor inside the camera is also very fast and is capable of locating and playing back recorded high definition videos with no lag or delay whatsoever. Optimum ISO for video work is I think as high as 6400, but it might be possible to go beyond this but at the expense of picture qaulity. ISO for stills is significantly higher than this. What I do like about the screen though is that the screen can be angled and positioned so that you are effectively shooting at angles. For example if your subject is low, you can put the camera down on a bean bag and then tilt the screen so that you can focus in from a crouched posistion instead of lying flat on the ground (a real bonus if the ground happens to be wet!).

In conlcusion, while the 650D is technically an entry level camera, it is my opinion a game changer that in the right hands can match and in some repects such as video exceed many of the more expensive professional level models from both Canon and rival camera companies.

-Additional note about some early production batches-
The launch of the 650D was marred by the discovery of a faulty production batch where the rubber grips would turn white because of contamination by a build up of zinc oxide which can also be a skin irritant. To the best of my knowledge cameras of these batches are now off the market (replaced by Canon) and all new 650Ds do not have this problem. The dealer I bought my 650D from was able to confirm that it was not one of the earlier production batches with the problem, and you can always check this for yourself by entering your cameras serial number on the Canon website.
1515 comments| 209 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 August 2012
You're thinking of getting the 650d, reading the reviews, comparing it to the 600d and countless others and pulling your hair out at all the pros and cons? Am I close. I'm a photographer and have used this, the 600d and its sony equivalent. I might be able to help. Let me start with an anecdote, (you've read enough technical jargon for now so consider this a breather)
I film the eagles on Mull and the landlady I stay with was telling me about this other photographer who visits her little cottage (it's beautiful by the way, you should visit if you get the chance). So anyway, she is cooking tea , as she does if you ask her nicely. While it's cooking he shows her one of his photos, probably of a sea eagle catching a fish. Everyone wants to photograph one of those even though its on every other postcard in Scotland. Next to a highland cow looking over a gate its the top photo/cliche to get.. Anyhoo, she looks at the photo and says "wow that's great...you must have a brilliant camera" .
So they sit down for supper a bit later and its delicious, she is a great cook. He says "This is lovely...you must have some great saucepans!" boom boom.
But herein lies the real point of this camera. You know its the person behind the camera that takes the pictures but do you really know it? This and the 600d take pictures so good (if you have the skill) you could blow it up the size of front door but are you going to want to. The thing no sellers want to tell you is that for years, maybe 5 , all of the big names have been making great dslr. Since the nikon d40 perhaps. But you really want to know, if you bought this, would you be happy or buying a pup. Be reassured that neither canon, nikon or sony make chocolate teapots. They know how to make a great camera and this is one. It's biggest difference as you will have read ad nauseum , is the touch screen. is it worth it. It is if you like touch screens (I do). That's not flippant, it's how it is.
So the photos will be great and its a great camera, you've read other reviews so I won't duplicate what you have already read but one thing you may not have read is about the video. All the makers have got dslr right. No pups in sight, but video is a relatively new feature and Sony have tbh been leading the way. This camera sets to rectify that by having autofocus. A lot of places on the net, say it's not needed, you should be using manual focus. Nonsense. Manual focus is ok at times but can be a pain. Filming your dog on the beach for example..The autofocus on the 650d is actually pretty good. Not as good as a camcorder but pretty good. The slowest part is for it to get going. But when it's locked on its sound. Well worth having. So thats sorted right..err no, not really. This is the 650d 's killer feature. Trouble is, they left out the killer feature on the 600d. The 3x zoom with "no loss in quality". So here is the choice if you are buying this for video.
if you want you're 300mm zoom to be able to zoom to 900mm for filming sport or wildlife. It's the 600d for you
If you love the idea of autofocus (or hate the idea of doing it the old fashioned way) its the 650d for you.
In my opinion if you're considering the other makes like Sony, it comes down to who makes the the lens you are likely to want. I know I have focused (blabbed on) about video but hey, there has been thousands of photo reviews already about iso , shutter speed etc etc. Nothing for me to add there!
So if you are considering using it for video here are a few "must have" things you will need to go with it.Hoya 58mm UV FilterReplacement Battery for Canon LP-E8 / suitable for Canon EOS 550D / EOS 600D / EOS 650D
Oh and the one that should have gone top of my listMake better videos with your dslr or camcorder
So now I have spent ten minutes typing away, telling you how I like the 650d for video (I do) do me a little favour and click that you find this helpful. Unless you don't. Either way you will enjoy this camera but do consider the little brother the 600d also. We live in good times to take photos as there are so many great cameras and this is definitely one of them. One more thing I forgot to mention (and yes it is regarding the video) is that to get great video you need to use the right settings in the menu.Unfortunately these are counter intuitive and if you don't use them you may be under whelmed. If anyone wants them, comment and I will try to post a link
3535 comments| 1,042 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 September 2012
I bought this camera after thorough research as I wanted to upgrade from Canon EOS 500D. I am not saying that the 500D was a bad camera by any means. It is a fantastic dSLR for starters and has been a faithful companion for over 2 years.
However the 650D offers several significant improvements over the 500D. Most of it comes from the faster DIGIC 5 processor, low image noise and the overall performance of the 650D. Of course, we cannot ignore the touchscreen, which believe me, is quite handy for changing settings on the fly without hitting too many buttons. I am very happy with the results of the 650D and the overall package. I love the articulate touchscreen LCD, 5 fps capability, and the improvements in video recording such as continuous auto focus and stereo microphones.

Photography is my passion and hobby, but by no means my profession. As such I can't invest in a full frame sensor (my dream cam the EOS 1D-X). So any camera above the 650D (even the 7D) exceeded my budget. Although the 7D is also APS-C and not a full frame.

My kit now includes the EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS and EF 50mm f/1.4 USM. These two lenses allow me to shoot in pretty much any type of situation (except astronomy, of course). I love my gear and could not have wanted more from a high end entry level dSLR such as the 650D.
55 comments| 106 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 November 2012
This is the best upper entry level digital slr I have purchased to date, very fast operation and the touch screen is astonishing, to be honest since having this brilliant screen I do not think I would want another slr without one, it is that good, being a canon the picture quality is as usual stunning, I love this camera and everything about it, especially as I said earlier the touch screen, it came very well packaged and a super fast delivery from CAMERA OUTLETS,well done to all and I highly recommend the 650D, buy it you will not be disappointed, have a look at some of the pictures I have posted on the Amazon 650D advertising page, all in all a superp digital slr and a great service from all involved.
review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image
VINE VOICEon 17 January 2013
I recently upgraded from a Canon EOS 400D to the 650D, and I love my new camera. I had previously been very much content with my 400D, but the 650D has many great features which make it a pleasure to use. Some of my favourite points:

- The LCD display is really sharp and clear - great for reviewing your shots - makes the display on the 400D look poor even though it's not really that bad

- You can use the LCD display to take shots which at first I thought was a bit pointless (what's wrong with the viewfinder?), but when trying to take macro shots of damp moss near to the ground it is extremely useful being able to use the LCD display, especially as it angles and tilts, so now I'm a convert!

- The fact that the LCD display is touch screen was something that again I thought was an unnecessary extra - however it is very useful to make quick changes to settings without turning dials and knobs

- The 18.0 megapixel sensor is excellent and is an obvious step up from my 400D's 10.1 sensor. If you need to crop a shot you can do without losing detail and the photos are top notch quality (well, as good as the photographer who takes them!)

- The ISO of up to 12800 is very useful in low light conditions, although of course if you go too far, you do risk grainy shots as with any camera

- The price is not unreasonable for a piece of kit of this quality

- It feels good in my hand - not too heavy but reassuringly solid

- The £50 cashback from Canon was a very nice little extra

All in all I think this is an excellent camera and I'm really happy with the shots I've got with it. The only downside is that it's so good I had to buy a new lens and spend more money! Shots taken with the combination of the 650D and my new Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM lens are definitely worth the money!
55 comments| 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 January 2013
This is an amazing camera. I've been researching & looking for a digital SLR for 6 months so this was no quick rushed buy. This camera is so so easy to use. You can just switch on & click. The moveable back touchscreen is something else. Allows you to focus by touching the screen, very useful. Then, when you want to go off road and use some of the powerful functions they are all there are even the back screen guides you through how to use them.

This camera is all I thought It would be & so much more. Looking forward to exploring all its features over the coming months.

If your looking for a quality point and shoot that takes great pictures its for you.
If your looking for a semi professional camera that gives you a bag full up cutting edge technology and functionality it's for you.

What's not to like!!!
on 9 August 2012
I pondered for months over every test report for a whole range of DSLRs across the Pentax, Canon, Sony and Nikon ranges. My choice was limited as I have been used to having an articulated screen on my Powershot G5 and G12 and this is a facility I did not want to lose. I take a lot of pictures of railways and use the versatility of the articulated LCD frequently.

Having read so many DSLR reports and opinions on forums I ended up suffering from information overload. Then Canon brought out the 650D and immediately my mind was made up. The recall of the 650Ds due to a dodgy grip intervened though and no one seemed to have even a demonstrator for a while.

Finally I found that Jessops in Exeter had them (sorry Amazon) with the 18-55mm kit lens so after a cursory inspection I threw all caution to the wind and bought one on the spot. I have only had it three weeks at the time of writing but so far I am very pleased with it. Before I touched the camera I read the whole of the quite comprehensive A6 sized manual up to the movie section. Not having had a DSLR before some of it seemed like double Dutch. On picking up the camera though most things fell into place and I began to feel pretty confident. The 18-55 kit lens is a trifle soft at both ends but nothing I can't live with as I am unlikely ever to make prints at maximum size. In fact I am impressed with just how precise the focusing is on a DSLR. My G12 produces lovely pictures but the smaller sensor means not having to think too much about depth of field. Something that definitely comes into play with a DSLR.

I find the camera a nice weight and size. I have average size hands but on my G12 fingers and thumb are constantly pressing buttons by mistake. Not so the 650D. There is ample room for my thumb to rest between two banks of buttons on the back but almost everything is accessible when needed by thumb or forefinger. The video button could be better placed nearer the shutter release but for me it is OK. I do shoot a lot of video but with a dedicated video camera. I may use this camera as a backup for the odd video but prefer my usual Sony and DV tapes.

Half pressure on the shutter release is easy to find and hold. Being a spectacle wearer this is a boon. Wearing glasses means that half pressure has to maintained longer than usual in order to look around the viewfinder for settings or focus confirmation.

One of the most significantly useful features is the Q button which brings up a screen full of options that can be easily altered by buttons or by touchscreen. I prefer to use buttons as the LCD panel can get very messy very quickly from finger grease marking when it is used as a touch screen.

Where the touch screen comes into its own is in live view for setting focus. Just touch the screen where you want the main focus to be and camera does the rest including taking the shot. There is quite a delay though between touching the screen, focus being found and the shutter firing so this facility is only useful for static subjects. With the screen extended to the left of the camera it is very easy to hold the camera steady with the right hand and adjust focus and firing the shutter with the left . I am not left handed but this could be handy for anyone who is. I cannot compare the touch screen to any on smart phones as I don't possess one.

One thing lacking is fn buttons which can be user defined. The manual says that the `Set' button can be user defined but doing so you would lose that facility for setting any parameters you have decided upon and the touch screen would have to be used for `Set' confirmation. I could be wrong about this. Further investigation is necessary.

There are three user defined settings available in Picture Styles but the parameters the user can set appear to be confined to brightness, contrast, colour saturation and sharpness. It was in using picture styles that I made my deliberate mistake which took me a couple of weeks to correct. I don't like garish colours so I started shooting with the Picture Style set to neutral. Everything seemed fine so far as I knew but when I attached the Tamron 10-24mm lens that I purchased at the same time as the camera, I could barely achieve focus no matter what I did. After dozens of trial shots I was on the point of returning what I thought was a dreadful lens. Reading once more through the manual and playing with Picture Styles I discovered to my surprise that setting the Picture Style to Neutral sets the sharpness to zero whereas every other style sets it to half way between zero and seven. Problem solved and the Tamron lens is really very good.

In bright sunshine I find the LCD screen just as poor as every other I have ever tried in spite of what manufacturers would have you believe. Angling the screen helps a bit but the time taken to find an acceptable angle could mean lost pictures. There is an adjustment available via the menu to increase the brightness and that is something else I will have to investigate. In anything other than bright sunshine the screen is fine.

I have now tried the Video setting briefly. I don't possess a full HD TV but it will accept 720 so I used the 650D on that setting and the pictures were excellent. Much better than my elderly video camera but it is this that I will be staying with for video as holding a DSLR away from my body and using Live View seems very alien. I like eye level viewfinders for video. Everyone says that the 18-55mm kit lens is too noisy for video when focusing and I would agree with this. I am unlikely to buy the 18-135 stepper motor lens though so will not be able to comment on the 650D's full movie capability.

I have plenty more to discover about using this camera especially as I am so new to DSLRs but I think the 650D will keep me busy for a long time to come. I would certainly recommend it to a friend.
on 27 June 2012
I spent hours and hours on the internet trying to find decent reviews on this item. As there aren't really very many at all I have decided to do my own!

Overall this camera is spectacular.
Some very nice features that set it above other cameras in the range.

Autofocus is fast and exceedingly accurate with the 18-55mm kit lens.
This includes the in video focusing, which is better than I expected but not outstanding, although, I'll update this when I have an STM lens! you do get quite a lot of focusing noise in video footage when used with a non-STM lens, though again, I'll update when I have one.

The HDR mode is very good, there are no problems with image alignment when shooting handheld.
Night shooting is the same story, I have got some very good pictures.

The technology in this camera is impressive, I like the added touch of a touch screen, though I don't really use it for much more than zooming in on images. However it is very responsive and can be useful at times.

Customisable menu is a great help if you like to de-clutter and only have options that you want/need.

This is a massive upgrade from my Eos 20D and I am very happy that I have purchased it.
One downside is that I thought the camera would be a little bigger than it is, so I'll probably be getting a battery grip at the first chance I get!

This is a very good 'entry' level DSLR that can definitely be used by the amateur (Because of all the helpful information on the massive high quality display) and semi-professionals and professionals alike.

I would highly recommend this camera to anyone who is looking for a new SLR as an upgrade from a previous one.

EDIT:

I am having some difficulty with how light and small this camera is having had it for a little while now. It does not feel nearly as substantial as my 20D did.
I basically bought this camera for the full HD video in which it excels.
However the pictures with the kit lens aren't as sharp as I would have hoped. I'm going to treat myself to an L lens and I'll update on sharpness and image quality then.

For now I am content, however I will be buying a 5D mark III at the next available opportunity.
review image review image review image review image review image
1414 comments| 59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 October 2012
Five years ago I opted for a traditional 35mm camera, the Canon EOS 3000V because back then I judged affordable digital cameras were no match for Kodachrome or E6. Alas, despite Paul Simon's song, Kodachrome is no more and digital photography has come a long way. Enter the 650D boasting 18 Megapixels and a huge number of features; a modern DLSR is more like a computer with a lens.

The 18-55mm lens is very sharp, with the maximum is just about 1:1 magnification. The two zoom lenses, 28-90 and 90-300 and a fixed 50 (Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 II Lens) I have for the 3000V work better than expected. None has image stabilisation, so at 300 (actually slightly more due to the smaller than 35 mm sensor) you could struggle without a tripod. Ok there are better lenses out there, but it will be some time before I will upgrade and if I do it will probably be long lens for birds.

Another gem is the Speedlite 430 EX, I also bought for the 3000V (Canon Speedlite 430EX II Flash Unit). It cost as much as my original Canon, but has given flawless service allowing you to bounce flash, where possible and light up scenes way beyond the reach of the on board flash. The 650D's flash is certainly not bad given the limited space for it, but the crowning glory is you can use it as a master for one or more Speedlites. Now you can be creative with different weighting and positions for the flashes.

Editing software is included and is not bad as far as bundled stuff goes. It is essential for raw image conversion if like me you only have the standard pc stuff. It is very slow, when batch processing although that might be partly my laptop running XP as a guest under Fedora Linux.

Picture quality? A DSLR will always out perform a smaller camera with the same pixel rating and quality due to the lenses. This is a quality camera and the depth of colours and fine grain have raised the standard of consumer cameras. Stick a polarised filter on the front and you could be getting close to Kodachrome land with the high saturation levels. However, make sure you don't put more than one filter on, otherwise you will see it in the image when at the widest setting; the camera really is using all of the glass you have forked out serious money for!

Videos work well, but the autofocus does make a racket. There are ways around this by locking the focus or switching to manual, but I really need to master the still photography features before taking serious videos.
on 20 November 2012
Really pleased with the 650D. Does every thing I wanted and more after upgrading from a 300D. Make sure your package includes a hard copy of the User Manual, it's 350 pages which makes it difficult to use with a downloaded PDF file.

I was tempted to buy when I did because of Canon's promotion of a £50 cashback offer. I downloaded and completed all the forms and duly sent them of to Canon. Days later my application was rejected because I "Did not purchase the camera through a recognised UK dealer". I live in the UK, bought it through Amazon,a UK company.
Just a tad peed off with Canon!

Mike