on 15 January 2013
This is an amazing camera. I've been researching & looking for a digital SLR for 6 months so this was no quick rushed buy. This camera is so so easy to use. You can just switch on & click. The moveable back touchscreen is something else. Allows you to focus by touching the screen, very useful. Then, when you want to go off road and use some of the powerful functions they are all there are even the back screen guides you through how to use them.

This camera is all I thought It would be & so much more. Looking forward to exploring all its features over the coming months.

If your looking for a quality point and shoot that takes great pictures its for you.
If your looking for a semi professional camera that gives you a bag full up cutting edge technology and functionality it's for you.

What's not to like!!!
on 16 November 2012
This is the best upper entry level digital slr I have purchased to date, very fast operation and the touch screen is astonishing, to be honest since having this brilliant screen I do not think I would want another slr without one, it is that good, being a canon the picture quality is as usual stunning, I love this camera and everything about it, especially as I said earlier the touch screen, it came very well packaged and a super fast delivery from CAMERA OUTLETS,well done to all and I highly recommend the 650D, buy it you will not be disappointed, have a look at some of the pictures I have posted on the Amazon 650D advertising page, all in all a superp digital slr and a great service from all involved.
review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image
on 12 September 2012
I bought this camera after thorough research as I wanted to upgrade from Canon EOS 500D. I am not saying that the 500D was a bad camera by any means. It is a fantastic dSLR for starters and has been a faithful companion for over 2 years.
However the 650D offers several significant improvements over the 500D. Most of it comes from the faster DIGIC 5 processor, low image noise and the overall performance of the 650D. Of course, we cannot ignore the touchscreen, which believe me, is quite handy for changing settings on the fly without hitting too many buttons. I am very happy with the results of the 650D and the overall package. I love the articulate touchscreen LCD, 5 fps capability, and the improvements in video recording such as continuous auto focus and stereo microphones.

Photography is my passion and hobby, but by no means my profession. As such I can't invest in a full frame sensor (my dream cam the EOS 1D-X). So any camera above the 650D (even the 7D) exceeded my budget. Although the 7D is also APS-C and not a full frame.

My kit now includes the EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS and EF 50mm f/1.4 USM. These two lenses allow me to shoot in pretty much any type of situation (except astronomy, of course). I love my gear and could not have wanted more from a high end entry level dSLR such as the 650D.
55 Comments| 106 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 January 2013
Having been fond of photography for quite a while but never got round to purchasing a digital SLR I can say this camera has made me wish I bought one years ago. The Canon 650d is brilliant and I cannot fault the product.

I am not fortunate enough to be able to compare this with many other makes and models having only used compact digi cams previously, but I hope this review gives a good enough impression of the camera.

Four reasons to buy this camera:

Build - I am sure many cameras at this level feel the same, but I feel the Canon 650d is a sturdy and robust product.
Picture Quality - Being an amature user, I am absolutely amazed by some of the pictures that I have taken.
Functionality - Easy to use and get to grips with. Touch screen makes for useful and easy navigation. All functions available that you would come to expect of such a camera.
Battery Life - I have yet to push this to the limits, but it seems like the battery goes on and on. I know one day it will catch me out and I'll go to take a picture and the battery will die on me.
on 30 November 2012
after spending the past year using my phones camera to take photos after dropping my G15, I decided to take a step up and get a grown-up camera.

the Canon really does the job,, with numerous modes and the beginner focused Auto mode, I was taking great looking photos right out of the box. The £50 cashback from Canon, and the free photography course, was also a nice touch.

Will be upgrading to new lenses for Christmas, so hopefully the package will get better again.
on 24 August 2012
I recently bought one of these from a local dealer and I have to say this is the best camera I've ever used. My requirements were I wanted a camera that was still set up for excellent still work, but could also switch to taking videos.

Still work
The 18MP sensor is all I need for helping me to take incredibly detailed shots which even of subjects at a distance can easily be cropped and or blown up to help reveal the detail (I'm a wildlife photographer mostly, though not all the time). The fast shutter speed also helps with taking sharp images of moving subjects such as birds in flight.

Video work
This is the main area of expansion for me, although I don't use any of the dedicated canon series of lenses for video work. Instead I've mostly connected my 100-400 EF lens, which thanks to its extra width allows for more light to enter the camera which is perfect for taking high definition videos of distant subjects that you simply cannot get close to. An additional bonus with this camera is when I add the canon EF 2x III extender into the mix. Normally an extender added to a canon 100-400 EF lens will result in the loss of the autofocus working, but when I switch the 650D to video mode, the autofocus WORKS! (and without taping the pins) I don't know exactly why, it just does, maybe its the firmware inside the camera. Still photos can of course still be taken when in video mode, but you need to look at the screen instead of through the viewfinder.

Video can be recorded in brackets of several seconds which can then be watched in order to give the impression of a continous effect. Usually so far I just film with the standard settings (at 1080 high def) which results in a file that is just a bit short of thirty minutes long. If you run over this time though I think the camera does instantly create and start recording to a second file (this is in the manual, I've not actually had to put this to the test yet).

Because video work brings a whole new dimension to this camera you do need to consider a few things. One is that recording videos on the max quality setting will result in some large file sizes, so you will need a memory card to accomdate these. I would not consider anything less than 32GB which is what I have now, but I'm giving serious thought to replacing this with a 64GB card in the near future. Two, if you don't already have one get a tripod, especially if you are filming things at high magnifications. With still work you can get away with a little judder by using a fast shutter speed, but video will always show it in detail. Of course another advantage of a tripod is that you can be in your own films! You also have to consider the sound pickup from the microphones that are on top of the camera. Even when you turn their sensitivity down they can still pick up unwanted sounds such as the autofocus motors for the lens that you are using. Canon has timed the release of two lens to coincide with the launch of the 650D that have extra quiet motors for video work, but unless you are using these always consider the noise of the lens as a factor. If you manually focus though, you'd probably get little to no sound from the lens at all, and depending upon your subject and its location, manual focus might actually be preferable. You can also fit a second external mic into the jack on the left hand side of the camera which should overide the feed from the fitted mics as soon as it is connected. The kind of mic to use would depend on how you want to record sound, but I myself am looking at getting a decent shotgun mic since this will mostly pick up sound in a narrow arc in front of it, and the subjects I've started filming are usually some distance in front of the camera.

The other major conideration is battery life. Over a six hour period of combined still shooting and video work where I might take up to an hour of video and have around 150-200 stills, I'd probably use up around half the battery. This is okay for a limited shoot around a local area but not so great if away for the day since at some point you are likely to exhaust you battery depending upon the lens, settings and how much video/stills you take. A second battery would be a very good idea if you are likely to be spending upto a full dawn till dusk day shooting.

Other features about the 650D are the touchscreen display which has easily recieved the most attention at the launch of this camera. I have tried this, and I do find it to be very responsive, but to be honest I don't rely upon it and rarely use it. Touch screen would mean getting my fingerprints (or rather smudges) on it and this is not desirable when you need the screen clean for video work. You can still navigate around the screen by using the buttons like on all previous Canon models. The processor inside the camera is also very fast and is capable of locating and playing back recorded high definition videos with no lag or delay whatsoever. Optimum ISO for video work is I think as high as 6400, but it might be possible to go beyond this but at the expense of picture qaulity. ISO for stills is significantly higher than this. What I do like about the screen though is that the screen can be angled and positioned so that you are effectively shooting at angles. For example if your subject is low, you can put the camera down on a bean bag and then tilt the screen so that you can focus in from a crouched posistion instead of lying flat on the ground (a real bonus if the ground happens to be wet!).

In conlcusion, while the 650D is technically an entry level camera, it is my opinion a game changer that in the right hands can match and in some repects such as video exceed many of the more expensive professional level models from both Canon and rival camera companies.

-Additional note about some early production batches-
The launch of the 650D was marred by the discovery of a faulty production batch where the rubber grips would turn white because of contamination by a build up of zinc oxide which can also be a skin irritant. To the best of my knowledge cameras of these batches are now off the market (replaced by Canon) and all new 650Ds do not have this problem. The dealer I bought my 650D from was able to confirm that it was not one of the earlier production batches with the problem, and you can always check this for yourself by entering your cameras serial number on the Canon website.
1515 Comments| 210 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 November 2012
The Canon 650D is the best of the series of APC Sensor DSLR's. I have owned 300d/400d/450d and 500d previously.
The inclusion of a full printed manual with the camera was not listed in contents of site.
The Lens matching corrections function ,has removed all edge abberations from my 5 lenses, and the results on full moon pictures over last two days has confirmed to me that the corrections work.
The short duration clips VIDEO Album shooting is very easy to set up and the 1080p clips are extremely good, no more editing of travel movies.
THe quality of pictures from this camera is outstanding and the touch screen funtions,quickly becomes intuitive and easy.
You do need to read the manual sections and try all the main features for a few hours.
I look forward to using the camera for travel and Birding.
Canon EOS 650D Digital SLR Camera - Black (Inc. 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Lens Kit)
on 22 February 2013
I bought this camera to replace my old Canon 350D and I am very pleased with it as it is 10 megapixal better than my old camera which was 8 megapixal and the sharpness of the photos has improved but this camera also takes video so you get two cameras for the price of one
on 20 November 2012
Really pleased with the 650D. Does every thing I wanted and more after upgrading from a 300D. Make sure your package includes a hard copy of the User Manual, it's 350 pages which makes it difficult to use with a downloaded PDF file.

I was tempted to buy when I did because of Canon's promotion of a £50 cashback offer. I downloaded and completed all the forms and duly sent them of to Canon. Days later my application was rejected because I "Did not purchase the camera through a recognised UK dealer". I live in the UK, bought it through Amazon,a UK company.
Just a tad peed off with Canon!

Mike
33 Comments| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 March 2014
This camera is easy to use for a begginer with auto modes for most occassions. Semi auto and manual control settings are easily accessed via hard buttons or through the excellent touch screen. (touch screen giving a brief description of what the settings do).

Pros;
Fast and easy access to settings. Excellent articulated touch screen, handy when using live view in restrictive places.
Decent continuous burst frame rate (5 fps). Excellent stills quality. HD video mode.

Cons;
Photo buffer fills up quite quickly when using raw and raw/ Jpeg mode. Battery life not the longest ( I bought a spare Duracell battery at a fraction of the cost of the Canon one). When recording video auto focus lens noise is picked up by camera mics. New STM lenses are reviewed as near silent though.

I bought this camera through Amazon Warehouse Deals saving a couple of hundred pounds over the near identical 700d
Overall this is an excellent choice for a keen begginer/ amateur looking for a camera that allows them room and control grow as a photographer.