VINE VOICEon 1 October 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This book is something of a tour-de-force about change: perhaps one of the most powerful events that we may invoke in our lives. This book discusses in some depth; the reasons why we might seek change, how to assess it, plan for it, to bring it about and to measure/hone it. Like all powerful instruments it should be used wisely and hopefully for the right reasons. I remember some years ago a patient decided to leave her husband and two young children and though she must have had her reasons, the saddest thing is that none of them have found happiness since.

Though it's a well-presented and detailed read. The charts and tables at the end left me a little fazed, as I am not sure that I could run to this method of bringing change about: either because I am lazy, too complacent or, hopefully, because I see that change has come about in my life for slightly different reasons. I remember, as a little boy of 6, an event that forced considerable change upon me. Up to that point I was not aware of the need for any changes and felt quite happy (as 6 year-olds do!) after this, however, I realised that without change, my life would never be a happy one. By and large I have run to this and have brought about significant changes. I had a bit of a wake up call on a train aged 18, but this was the last time that a reminder was needed. Remember too, that sometimes in bringing about change, some things are lost and the book does emphasise a calm and studied approach, not some knee-jerk with poor planning.

Once unleashed, then change is unstoppable and change begets more change. Once released the genie cannot be replaced and I remember in one episode Fox Mulder asked the Genie; just what would be her wish, and of course it was to just sit at a pavement cafe and watch the world go by.

The other reason to seek change is when those around us expect, rely or demand it from us and we need to be sensitive and intuitive enough to detect and effect it. I enjoyed the 'how does it end' scenario, but for me this was a bit final and I prefer - what do they say as they walk down the corridor away from my surgery- a more relevant context.

I also enjoyed the discussion on fear, and this is another precipitant for change. As a young doctor I admitted a giant of a patient who became rapidly confused, then barricaded himself in the side ward and set a fire. I was terrified as I waited to go in, syringe in hand, and two porters and the hospital administrator queuing behind me! I knew that it was my job, and realised that if I walked away, then I would have to live with the consequences for the rest of my days. Mercifully I was able to face my fear, went in and was able to calm him without anyone being hurt. Facing my fears is one of the changes that I have demanded from myself over the years.

In conclusion, this book is an interesting and cogent analysis of all aspects of change. It's a teeny bit 'technical' and I think for me a more intuitive approach has served better, but nevertheless a stimulating and enjoyable read. Remember too that this is a lifelong process and perhaps the day we seek no further change, will be the day we die. Enjoy and with many thanks.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
If you've ever felt like reinventing yourself then this book is for you. It breaks the process down into easy steps and provides a host of worksheets at the back of the book to help you through each stage of the process. There is some extremely good advice contained in this book and it is written in an easy and accessible style. There are references to other self-help books throughout the text and a list of further reading at the end of the book.

The book is divided into three parts:
Part I Preparation

Stage 3 Design Your Vision
Stage 4 Create the Plan
Stage 5 Make it Happen
Stage 6 Monitor Your Performance

I think one of the most important aspects of this book is the stress it puts on making sure that changes you plan to make are in accordance with values that you genuinely hold. It is all too easy to be unduly influenced by the people who matter to you and to find yourself struggling with changes for which you lack enthusiasm. When that happens it is quite possible that you have chosen something which does not fit in with your own personal values. Then it is time to go back to the drawing board and work out what your core values are and to proceed on that basis - rather than on the basis of what other people consider is best for you.

I liked the way the text is brought to life by examples of people making changes in their own lives. I also liked the worksheets the book provides which will help anyone wanting to reinvent themselves to actually follow through and complete the process. If you know you need to make changes in your life then I think this book could help you make those changes and help you monitor your own progress.
on 9 January 2013
While title seems interesting, engaging and reasonably priced, do not make the mistake of ordering the downloadable (and significantly cheaper) kindle version. The content is the same and yes it is easily accessible on a kindle app, however it lacks essential parts of the book, such as the 'new you journal' which you require to complete tasks and activities from an early stage. The link for a downloadable version of this is listed in the text, however this link cannot be accessed from the text itself it has to be manually rewritten into a browser, only to then find out to your great surprise that the link was 'not found'. Therefore you are lacking the essential interactive element of this product, you can go on reading about all the stuff you already know but any actual activities are made impossible by this downloadable version. do not purchase.
11 Comment| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 20 January 2013
After trying to make changes in my own life for some time and in some ways I have succeeded, but in other ways I am still working at it. I have read a number of books that discuss change and in this book Brett identifies that it is not easy to make change, but it can be an ongoing challenge, which in my opinion is an honest assessment.

Brett does not open up with magic quick fixes but gives and honest account that if you want change you have to work at it. He uses interesting case studies and metaphors to enhance his argument as well as quoting other authors who are known to be well established in the field. Finally Brett gives you some work sheets that help you examine where you are at now, your values and what you need to do to move forward.

I think that the work sheets are a good idea because change is not easy, therefore if you can identify what you need to do to achieve change and monitor your progress they may be helpful, although time consuming. I will try and use the work sheets but if I don't I am sure the book will help me anyway. All in all in my opinion A Whole New You is a worthwhile addition to help people facilitate change and I would recommend it.
VINE VOICEon 19 March 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I am a serial entrepreneur, a University lecturer in Russia, Italy and the USA in Business Economics and International Law and am an international business and peak performance consultant. As such, I have read a plethora of business, motivational, peak performance, coaching, team building psychology type of books over 22 years. In fact I have enough books at home, on these subjects, to sink several ships. I therefore have read many books looking at what makes great entrepreneurs and how the best motivate employees. I therefore have used both my real life business experience and theoretical knowledge to review this book.

This is quite a short book and the self praise waffle of how great the author is and how you can be just like them...."Super Successful"...by following some simple steps, is cut to an absolute minimum. I hate and loath motivational books where the author spends so much time telling you how great they are......The content of the book is very straightforward and is very simple to comprehend. The basic idea is that there are no quick fixes to success, you just have to set a worthy goal and work hard on that goal. It is motivating but it does also lack some of the analysis of what happens if you have mental obstacles from your past holding you back from obtaining the goal. The author could have spent more time giving strategies for mental improvement.

This is a nice book which is well written, but it could also have been a bit more comprehensive, such as the Tommy Newberry book, Success is Not an Accident. Recommended as a motivational read.
VINE VOICEon 13 November 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This review relates to the advance reader's copy of a "A Whole New You" supplied via the Amazon Vine Programme.

I was pleased to read this book, as I myself, am at a crucial stage in my life plan having recently retired. Having been involved in training and development in my career I wasn't sure how this book would differentiate itself from a number of other books on the same theme. To me, this book marks itself out because rather than prescribing things for you its usefulness lies in that it facilitates you to find your own path to reinvention. It takes you through six stages to achieve this; identifying the need; discovering yourself; designing your vision; creating a plan; making it happen; and; monitoring your progress.

The book prepares you for the journey to reinvention and provides you with a framework to travel in the right direction by providing you with ideas for worksheets (mini projects) to address specific areas such as strengths; weaknesses; current fears; conquered fears; accomplishments etc. This structured approach helps you maintain momentum and provides milestones for review. I particularly like the fact that the book is peppered with quotes from famous historical figures, and, anecdotes from the author which convince you are not alone in any uncertainties you may have. I think what this book gets just right is the balance between being prescriptive to ensure you make progress, whilst, giving you the flexibility to achieve your "new state" by the path that suits you best.

I really like this book and genuinely count it amongst the few self-help texts I'll actually use. Recommended.
on 25 January 2014
Wish I'd read the reviews more thoroughly before buying. I've only just downloaded this so don't know how good it is, which is why I've been generous with the stars. But I do know that the link to download the journal pages doesn't work, which is disappointing! It's a shame this couldn't have been sorted out by Amazon before offering it for sale as a download.
on 31 December 2016
Excellent quality and value quickly dispatched.
VINE VOICEon 20 November 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I hate to give a non-inspiring review but I really was not inspired by this book. Unfortunately there are too many lists....that amount of lists made me feel grumpy and unmotivated.

I liked the 'real life' stories, but after a while they seemed to be just stories, not true life and I just couldn't bring myself to finish the book, which is a complete rarity for me.

Sorry, I can't give it a higher rating.

The information is relevant, but so badly presented and written....which is a pity as these types of books can really make readers feel good.

It didn't have that effect on me.
on 15 March 2016