on 9 September 2013
This charger is well made, looks quite snazzy and works very well indeed. It fits perfectly in my cigar lighter socket, which is a bit shallow and caused my old charger to regularly fall out. This one is a nice snug fit. Only tested so far on my Samsung phone but I'm sure it will work for anything else. The red LED is very subtle, something I appreciate when driving at night.

If you're having problems charging your phone then read on.
This was the second car charger I had ordered recently. The first was a Belkin - Micro Car Charger adapter 2100 mAh + ChargeSync cable for iPhone/iPod/iPad (F8Z689cw). This didn't appear to supply enough charge to my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and so ordered this PowerGen version. This seemed to have the same problem so running SatNav on my phone meant arriving at my destination with less battery than when I started. I was mystified and a bit disillusioned by these so called high current chargers until I stumbled upon the real culprit - the blooming cable!!! Turns out all but 2 of the many sync cables I own weren't able to supply the current needed to keep the phone charging. The original Samsung cable worked, also a very chunky flat cable I had did too, but all the others, including some other genuine Samsung cables didn't. I was amazed at discovering this fact, thought all these USB cables were basically the same. Seems like if you have a power hungry device you need something a bit chunkier to carry the current. So if you're having problems getting these chargers to supply enough juice, don't bin it, just try a different cable. Hope this helps.
P.S. Ordered VEO - Heavy duty MICRO USB DATA CABLE FOR BLACKBERRY SAMSUNG NOKIA HTC SONY ERICSSON - 1M black and can confirm this cable works well and is well made. They also make Apple versions too. K Bye x
33 comments| 118 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The Powergen Dual port car charger fits into your car cigarette lighter socket and enables you to charge your electronic devices whilst on the go.

There are two ports available marked up as S and A. The A port is specifically for Apple products such as ipad/pod and iphones. The port marked S is designated for all other compatible devices. The only device mentioned in the leaflet provided that cannot be charged is the Asus Transformer. There is no cable supplied with this charger so you must use the one supplied with your electronic device.

The charger fits nicely into the charging socket and feels solid enough with a good build quality and doesn't stick out too much in my opinion. When active there is a blue light emitted from the charger ports so you can see it's active. Delivering 2 Amps this is ideal for the quick charging of your power hungry devices such as ipad, Kindle Fire and tablet devices.
The devices I tried it on were-

Kindle touch-Worked on both ports.
Kindle Fire- Worked on both ports.
Apple ipad- Only in the A port.
HTC Desire HD- In S port
Sansa Clip mp3 player- In S port.

After using this for a few weeks I've found that the charger performed well using the devices mentioned and they were charged quickly enough even when two were charging simultaneously. Obviously when charging two devices they may take longer to fully charge than when being charged alone. There is a slightly more powerful and more robustly built version available in which you can also access the fuse PowerGen Dual USB 3.1A 15w Car Charger for Apple iPad 1 2 3, iPhone 4s 4 3 3Gs, Amazon Kindle Fire DX KeyBoard, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Google Nexus 7 (USB Cable NOT included) - BLACK

A good little charger, no complaints.

I was supplied this for review.
55 comments| 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 September 2014
Total crap!

I used it for a while and noticed that when I had my phone connected to the stereo in the car as well as this, a lot of electronic noise would come over the speakers. This was partly engine noise caused by the alternator and partly a high frequency switching sound coming from the power supply.

I put my oscilloscope on there to take a look at the voltage it was outputting and it is all over the place! It spikes as high as 10 volts (it is supposed to output 5 volts for USB) and dips down to zero volts once every switching cycle (4,000 times per second). The switching frequency is right in the middle of human speech intelligibility, meaning your ears are most sensitive to it. That is why the noise on the stereo is so invasive and annoying.

In conclusion, it will annoy you, and probably damage your phone given how high the voltage goes sometimes. As soon as I saw how bad the output was I threw it away.
77 comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 March 2013
I'm going to get this out of the way; this product is fantastic.

I bought this for use in-car (unsurprisingly) to charge my Nexus 7 and Samsung Galaxy S3. To put it through its paces, I set up the Nexus with Sygic (GPS navigation) on the highest performance setting. On plugin, battery rated 27% remaining. After a 25 minute drive, battery was at 40%.

That's an increase of 13% in 25 minutes while the unit was under heavy load.

That to me is simply incredible; I'm used to leaving the Nexus plugged in through USB and from 20 odd percent taking a good 7 hours to charge fully and that's without being under load.

I can't fault this at all and would really recommend, especially if you need to charge two devices at the same time. The NA port worked for the Nexus 7 no problem at all.
on 14 April 2013
I have used this charger in the car for my iPhone while using a Sat Nav app and it kept it fully charged. It seems to do what I needed (though I have not used it with my ipad3 yet which is really why I bought it). I have ordered another one this morning for my dad as I am confident in it's capabilities to charge his ipad.
on 26 June 2013
a great little charger, i can use my iphone for sat nav while driving and using bluetooth for phone all while my wife is charging and using her ipad, at the end of the journey the iphone and ipad are fully charged ready for use when we get to our destination. It is of good quality, fits nice and just looks good to do the job, "and it does" unlike other makes which are more expensive yet fail time and time again. Save your money and buy this, you won't reget it. I don't normally leave reviews but this product really deserves it. PowerGen Dual USB 3.6A 18w Car Charger for Apple iPad 1, iPad 2, The New iPad 3, iPad mini, iPhone 5 4s 4 3 3Gs, Android Phones, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Google Nexus 7, Nexus 4, Nexus 10 (USB Cable NOT included) - WHITE

There are two ports available marked up as N/A and A. The A port is specifically for Apple products such as ipad/pod and iphones. The port marked N/A is designated for all other compatible devices. The only device mentioned in the leaflet provided that cannot be charged is the Asus Transformer. There is no cable supplied with this charger so you must use the one supplied with your electronic device.

The charger fits nicely into the charging socket and feels solid enough with a good build quality and doesn't stick out too much in my opinion. When active there is a red light emitted from the charger ports so you can see it's active. Delivering 3.1 Amps this is ideal for the fast charging of your power hungry devices such as ipad, Kindle Fire and tablet devices. There is a fuse inside the charger which can be removed/changed just by unscrewing the end off and it will pop out. Simple enough.

The devices I tried it on were-

Kindle touch-Worked on both ports.
Kindle Fire- Worked on both ports.
Apple ipad- Only in the A port.
HTC Desire HD- In N/A port
Sansa Clip mp3 player- In N/A port.

Great little charger, no complaints.

I was supplied this for review.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 19 September 2012
The good news is that this charger (which I had supplied to me for review) charges iPads pretty fast. It's capable of delivering 3 Amps through either of the two USB ports (or 3 Amps split between them if you plug in two devices). However, while one of the ports (the "A" for Apple port) was able to charge any device I tried (including a Motorola phone, an iPad, an iPhone and a Walkman), the "NA" (for non-Apple, ie. standard USB) port wasn't able to charge the Motorola phone or the Walkman (it charged the iPhone, and it powered but didn't charge the iPad). I may have been unlucky with the choice of devices I tried to charge; in any case, it's worth reiterating that they all charged on the "A" port.

The design is a little busier than the other Powergen charger (PowerGen Power-U Dual USB 2A Heavy Duty Ouput Car Charger for HTC Sensation, Flyer, Thunderbolt, Desire Z S HD / Samsung Galaxy S2 S II Ace / Sony Ericsson Xperia ARC), but it's well-built and compact. There is a 3 Amp fuse inside the barrel; you're unlikely to ever need to change it. The barrel fits securely in the accessory port; when the device is powered, a small red LED glows. No USB cables are supplied: you can use the cables that came with your device.

I would recommend this as a fast charger specifically for an iPad. For the devices I happen to have, the other Powergen adapter has better compatibility.
on 30 March 2013
This is the third product of this type I have tried in the last couple of years. Previous ones have either popped out the socket or been very inconsistent in charging, requiring constant fiddling around to connect, drove me nuts!! This piece of kit worked the first time and continues to do so, without any fiddling around. Would recommend it.Have only used on my iPhone don't tend to travel around with my iPad, see no reason why the performance should be any different with that.
on 29 July 2014
I purchased this charger because I liked the idea of charging two devices at the same time. I also thought LED light confirming if the charger is connected properly would be handy.

However, main reason was for the power. I drive to and from work every day apart from weekends and I use hands-free. My old charger that came with SatNAv was only providing enough power to keep the phone charge stable whilst on Bluetooth. PowerGen, however, manages to charge the phone from 30% to 90% (this is just approximate figures) in under 1 hour whilst on Bluetooth, which is great!

On a daily basis, I use it with Nexus 4. I also tried charging iPhone 4S and Nexus 4 simultaneously once. I have not measured the time or the charge, as I find it immaterial. It's just convenience, plus at such low price, it would be hard to go wrong.

There are few well-known companies producing quality USB car charges. In the end, I went for PowerGen because of the LED light. Contrary to some opinions, I would not say that it is bright or distracting. Of course, all depends on the location of the socket. For those prospective customers who rely on the charger to keep the phone going, the extra comfort of knowing the charger is plugged in properly would be beneficial.

I went for black colour. It looks stylish. The charger itself is compact and not long.

I only used it for a week, so can't comment on the longevity, reliability, etc. Few other reviewers had it for much longer and I have no reason not to believe them.

Of course, if it malfunctions in any way, I shall let you know. Advice: go ahead and buy it. Don't spend too long researching.

I also bought spring coiled USB lead to complement the charger. I know every phone manual says to use the original lead only, but they are all too long for the car. I hope spring coiled one solves the problem. Have not been delivered yet...