on 6 April 2017
I really enjoyed Anna Karenina. This was a pleasant surprise considering I was dreading reading this book, a book I have long perceived as hard and boring. I found it the opposite. I did try and read it one before when I got a bunch of free e-book’s from Amazon. Anna Karenina is the kind of novel that does not work as a free, badly formatted ebook and I found it almost unreadable. I stuck to my rule of reading 50 pages a day and found myself reading enjoying the book. Despite the title, the book is not all about Anna; her story probably covers 50% of the weighty tome. Anna Karenina is about Russian High Society, the scandal caused by Anna’s affair with Vronsky and Anna’s downward spiral, likely a result of guilt and the fact she is seen as a fallen woman, scorned to an extent by the society she is part of. Tolstoy offers nothing new about passion or forbidden love but Anna Karenina is so enjoyable this hardly matters. I loved the rich details about the society Anna and the other characters lived in. I thought the characters were spot on. I would have given this book 5/5 if not for Tolstoy’s dense prose which was sometimes a bit of a slog to get through. I enjoyed Anna Karenina much more than expected and would recommend it.
on 27 June 2016
Most of people thinks that this book is the greatest roman of all times. And from one side they are right. Strong characters, strong emotions, especially the main character Anna - strong, and sincere woman. It looks like she has everything in her life - loving husband, great child, but still feels emptiness in her heart and soul. Many of us feels exactly the same way, you will admit. Book is very very realistic and author Leo Tolstoy shows perfectly the society and identity of the XIX century Russia. The ending was expected and unexpected from some point. The book is called classics not without a reason.
review image
on 21 April 2015
I read this book many years ago after seeing a TV film of it. At that time, I didn't really understand what was wrong with Anna, and I thought her a complete nitwit and her lover Vronsky a bore and couldn't work out the point of it all. But recently I watched a simply splendid Spanish version of the story and finally I understood just what she was about and what hell she gives everyone around her due to her own extremely self-centred and also mentally disturbed personality. In the Spanish movie, Vronsky is acted by the glamorous Chilean actor Santiago Cabrera and he gives the character a warmth, a poignancy and a constancy that never came over to me from the acting of the earlier version I saw when perhaps the actor for Vronsky was too old for the part or so I felt then. He seemed too stupid for an older man, but the younger Cabrera puts over all the agony of the young, genuine lover with the older mistress. Finally I understood just how destructive Anna is as I watched her outrageous behaviour to in particular her husband, her lover and her sad young son, so selfish and relentlessly determined to get her own continually contrary way by preying on the feelings of all the people who love her and it's a long time before they see her for what she really is.

If you have read this book and like me originally found it annoying, or had no patience with Anna or her lover, perhaps if you watch that fine movie which also stars other well-known fine actors (it is dubbed into English, so no need for subtitles), you will get it from that production and then find as I have found that reading the book becomes a fascination.
on 18 May 2015
I read this book first in the 1970s, and was encouraged to read it again after seeing a dramatised version performed in the Royal Exchange Theatre, Manchester. Having the Kindle version has allowed me to easily carry the 'book' with me, and just 'open' it whenever there are a few moments to spare. It is particularly easy to read on a Fire 6, which fits in the hand.

Obviously, this version is very similar to the earlier one, and this is a great classical story embracing love, betrayal, and contemporary Russian philosophical dilemmas. Some have complained about the complexity and interweaving of the somewhat parallel stories, but the outcome is a classical novel with both depth and breadth.

I have not given it 5 stars because there are a number (maybe 20 in the first 50%) of typographical errors left in the book: these should have been removed. This comment is just me nit-picking and should not put anyone off buying this version.
on 2 July 2014
Dated but an interesting and useful insight into Russian society as it was. It is too long winded for me, I have to like something immediately and this did not capture me. I don't want reading to be a chore. Too many lengthy descriptions about the parting of someone's hair or the smoking case they carry. I feel a bit of a philistine for posting this review as I dearly wanted to be absorbed into it. Alas Anna Karenina is a book for the more patient reader.
on 29 December 2014
My rating refers to this edition, not the story. I find the cover slightly weird, the photographic quality of her face makes it look a bit like a film adaptation or Mills and Boon type book, not the great classic of Russian literature that it is, but the book itself is sturdy and good value for money. Can't comment on the translation as this was a gift, but they Wordsworth Classics editions usually manage a very good job, so if the cover doesn't put you off, I'd go for it!
on 1 September 2014
What can you say that hasn't already been said? This is possibly one of the greatest novels/tragedies ever written. This is a decent enough translation, although at times conversations appear to be slightly wooden and impersonal; this could just be a reflection of the no-nonsense approach to conversation typical of 19th century Russians. Buy this book and keep it on the shelf along with Hugo etc and read again in 5 years time - the emotions will come afresh. An excellent read.
on 6 May 2017
its a bit over detailed and unengaging at times and never fell in love with characters loved scything scene yeah its a classic. certainly its a 5 compared to pulp fiction but compared to say bronte stuff it wasnt engaging enough for me to feel more than ambivalent at the end
on 29 June 2013
I liked this. I've read War and Peace before it, so it didn't feel too long, but even so some parts did drag a little. Saying that, I found that when I read War and Peace that I enjoyed the 'court/home' scenes better than the war part, and as Anna was all court/ home I did enjoy it. Admittedly I had less sympathy for the characters than in War and Peace, and this prevented my immersion as much as I didn't really 'feel' for anyone as I had in War and Peace. Saying that, this wasn't a major issue, and I would recommend this to anyone who has the patient/ staying power to read all of it.
on 8 November 2012
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )|Verified Purchase
How can you audio-ize a full length Russian classic on to 3 cds? Well, simply you can't. But what you can do is adapt, translate, summarize and get the main parts of the story over. And this full-cast adaptation does a grand job. It's like a "Brodies notes" or "Karenina for Dummies" and it works really well. I read the book 30 years ago and ploughed my way through it, page by slow page, and I didn't get the sense of fun and excitement that this audiobook oozes with.

Great in-car entertainment. Highly recommended by this audiobook fan.