Size: Steam Generator Iron|Change
Price:£169.50 - £173.99

on 20 September 2012
I thought this was expensive for an iron, but mine had broken and several friends recommended this type of iron. I'm so glad I bought it. I have to say that it is so much quicker than my old traditional steam iron. The unit is very big and you will probably need to get an appropriate ironing board. I bought the Brabantia Ironing Board with Solid Stream Unit Holder (from Amazon), which is perfect for this iron. The iron itself is nice to hold and not heavy. It whizzes through the ironing, although it took me about 20 minutes to get used to it as you have to press for steam, rather than it coming automatically. The unit is very big and holds lots of water so no need to keep refilling. The electric cord on this one retracts automatically into the unit for storage. The iron can be locked onto the base unit to make it safe for storage and the cord from the unit to the iron can also be manually put into the base unit for storage. I now don't find the ironing a chore liked it used to be! So, overall, I would thoroughly recommend this iron and this type of ironing system.
Size: Steam Generator Iron|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As I am a true virgin to such steam generating irons I was unaware how it would power up, perform and work better than a conventional iron. However, I would have to say I was surprised.

Though expensive I found that using it was easy, didn't take long to set up and worked really well. The cord to the iron has a clever hinge system which stops the lead from affecting the clothes which are being ironed.

Placing the iron for me personally was a little difficult. As it is quite cumbersome the only place I could place it is the end of the ironing board, which is not very secure. As such, I would advise probably ironing close to another similar height unit/object i.e kitchen worktop or having an ironing board with solid end plate.

Having two small cats I would say the clicking and steaming from the iron does not go down with them or others watching TV, but the locking arrangement to the top is excellent should you have any critters/kids which like to knock things over.

Ironing was so much quicker than a conventional iron, one pass with the steam going and its done. Shirts ironed in 3.5 mins.

There are a number of pros and cons to the unit which are as follows:

Excellent locking arrangement
Anti-calcium probe stops any build up
Diagnosis/Status lights to the rear of the unit are helpful
Large water containing is excellent
Fast when up to temperature

Winding and hiding the cords is a little awkward
Placing the unit is a little difficult if you have a wire end to your ironing board. -Solid end would be better
Clicking noise to demand the steam is a little noisy.
33 comments| 64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 August 2012
I have had a number of steam generator's over the years and I have to say this is by far the best. I purchased this as the one I had ( not a year old) was really annoying and time consuming as it operated under pressure, did the job when you didn't have a lot of ironing, but if you did the time wasted waiting for the pressure to drop and refill the tank made ironing even more of a chore.
The Tefal Gv8431 may seem a little expensive, but I can honestly say it is well worth it as I no longer spend hours in front of the ironing board and ironing is yet again no longer a chore. It is very easy to use, the performance is excellent and makes light work of heavy materials, I would certainly recommend this product. Thank you Tefal
on 29 May 2013
This is the second Tefal we have had - the first one lasted 7 years and was a real work horse. This one came highly recommended, with many updates on water compartment size etc & now has a fiddly corkscrew design which is supposed to keep the hard water deposits from building up.

Unfortunately this was not the case 2 weeks ago when I decided to steam on the hanger my DJ prior to a black tie dinner and a brown liquid deposit was left all over the back of the jacket. Having cleaned it out religiously the same thing happened again when steam pressing a white pullover which is now on it's way to the dry cleaners

Awaiting response from Tefal, check the review centre where it gets one star for its brown staining malfunction
77 comments| 80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Size: Steam Generator Iron|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is not my first Tefal iron, but is a significant upgrade from my previous model. The first thing that I noticed after unboxing is the sturdy, robust design. No expense seems to be spared in the design of this iron, and the result is a sturdy and solid base.

This iron has really put the `fun' back into ironing for me! It really cuts through those hard-to-press, creased clothes. I used to hate ironing my clothes, but now I have no problem. I might even say I enjoy it! Pressing on the `steam' button gives a very satisfying burst of steam and the joy of doing so never gets old! The iron hosts a huge 1.8L water tank, meaning that refilling the iron with water is now a thing of the past.

From an aesthetic perspective, the iron is very pleasing to look at. Whilst ironing, the grip feels natural and comfortable for those long ironing sessions and the rubber groves on the base of the iron provide extra support from it being knocked over when placed vertically. The cord is also of a fair length, easily covering the largest of ironing boards. However, I do feel the cord can get in the way at times. In addition, there is a clasp on the head of the base which keeps the iron in place, preventing any accidental knocks and facilitating easy storage/travel.

There are various settings on the iron itself, allowing you to adjust the temperature according to the type of fabric you are ironing, ensuring you don't damage those delicate and expensive garments, as well as providing extra heat for heavy cotton. I have ironed T-shirts, shirts, ties, socks, trousers, jeans and vests with no problems. Descaling is also very easy with the removal dipstick that slots into the side.

The iron does take a little time to warm up and is a little on the noisy side at times. Also, the cable rewind cord is a fantastic feature, but can be a bit jerky at times and does not always pull-in the cord. However, these are very small flaws and the results the iron produce far outweigh these. I cannot recommend this iron enough. 5/5
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 11 September 2012
Size: Autoclean Steam Generator|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've always thought 'an iron's an iron'... and they're all the same.. right? With this iron I've been put in my place about the difference in irons. I've always gone for a pretty cheap iron thinking that they all do the same thing but comparing it to this iron there really is quite a difference. What makes this iron stand out is the amount of difference the steam makes. The main base unit has a removable container that holds significantly more water than a standard iron and keeps you ironing for ages. The plug is tucked away in the main unit and has a really nice retractable cord to allow you to store it safely after use and also helps not get in the way when you are ironing. From the main unit, there is a power/steam cord that is about 2-3 metres long that allows the steam that is produced in the main unit to be expelled from the iron itself (do be warned though as the cord can get quite hot but is safe to touch). By the way this cord can be stored by feeding it through a 'tunnel' that runs around the base unit at the front and is quite a clever way of ensuring that the unit is tidy once stowed away.

Tefal boast about the pressure produced for the steam and they aren't exaggerating. For normal steam use and holding the iron horizontally, the steam moves about 1.5 metres away from you. With the Boost steam button however (which gives one sharp long boost of steam) it will travel half way across the room (about 3-4 metres). Absolutely fabulous for steaming clothes whilst on their hanger. The iron itself sits on the base unit and can lock into place with a 'latch' mechanism which will allow you to safely carry your iron although it is pretty heavy. Another great thing about the iron is that it will automatically switch off if not in use after 30 seconds if the iron is face down or 8 minutes if it's left on it's heel. It's also great that it has a switch on the main unit to allow you to use 'Eco' setting which I have on all the time now.

All in all a superb iron but still a little on the steep side.
on 19 August 2012
What a fantastic buy! I used to own a Bosch steam generator, which I loved. When it finally gave up the ghost after years of loyal service I was worried about finding another model that would be just as powerful. After lots of research, I decided to go for this Tefal model due to its powerful constant steam and steam boost power, as well as its anti-calc collector. All I can say is WOW, this iron is fantastic. It's the right shape and weight to make ironing a breeze and the steam, as you would expect from a steam generator, smooths away even the most stubborn creases with no problem whatsoever.

But what i really like about this model compared to others is that there is no need to be winding and coiling up the cable and hose, since it has an easy storage system that keeps everything tidy and secure. In fact you can pick the whole thing up by the handle of the iron and store it away easily.

The Bosch was a hard act to follow, but this little baby has surpassed all expectations - bring on the ironing basket!
22 comments| 99 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 August 2012
It keeps the wife quiet for hours; a great product. Shirts seem well pressed too; as will be my forehead if she reads this!
55 comments| 62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 August 2013
I bought this product in its previous guise, the 8430. It is a great product and in terms of performance I cannot complain. However, I believe there is a serious design issue with the steam button and have contacted Tefal to query this. After about 8 months the one-piece plastic button broke (one side of the retention pin). Product was returned under warranty and fixed (despite the fact I could have changed it in about 30 seconds). It has now gone again and I face the prospect of returning it at my own cost. I will wait and see what happens over next day or two but suggest it would be unwise to purchase the product unless Tefal have made changes to the button design.

The button when pressed (underneath the handle) is held internally on both sides by plastic pins which are integral to the button itself. The pin allows the button to rotate and activate the switch. It is the pin on one side which is broken so the button is now off centre and won't activate the switch. Part of the problem is when you lift the iron your hand with the base your hand grips and the button and probably puts stress on it with the extra load of the whole iron and base together.
on 4 January 2013
Excellent buy. My previous steam generator went wrong and I was unable to buy a replacement from the same company as I could not find a stockist in the UK. Did a lot of research before deciding to buy this one. I do a lot of ironing in a week and I prefer it to my old generator. It heats up very quickly and when it runs out of water I can refil it immediately and carry on ironing rather than waiting for it to heat up again. If anybody was looking to buy one I would deffinitely recommend this one. It arrived very quickly and very well packaged.