on 29 April 2016
The strongest feature of this book it the way it catches the feel of New Orleans. The second is the likeable central character of Tubby Dubonnet. Thirdly the writing is of a good standard.
In the first half of the book Dubonnet takes on several seperate cases and the story is a little rambley. However I was happy to wallow in the atmosphere of the city in the company of Tubby and his friends. At the half-way point the cases start to link together and the pace picks up a little.
I wouldn't call this a fast paced read. More of a gentle meander towards an agreed solution, masterminded by Tubby. I did however find it a pleasant, relaxing and interesting read.
I will consider reading more of the series.
on 10 July 2013
I downloaded this as a free Kindle item and didn't expect much of it. However, I found the setting (New Orleans) fascinating and the somewhat reluctant sleuth genuinely interesting. I'll look for more of Tony Dunbar's novels.
on 29 April 2016
With 'City of Beads' it wasn't long before I was skimming through chunks of text, scene descriptions etc that seemed too incidental to be worth the time, and by 32% it just wasn't engaging my interest enough to be worth continuing. It will no doubt appeal to some as the setting and characters definitely have potential, the plot is probably not without merit (not properly qualified to comment having baled out at a skimmed 32%) and perhaps it does pick up later, but it didn't sparkle enough to keep me engaged. No complaints as it was a no-cost special offer. Worth a punt if you like quirky American comedies, which as it happens, I do, but I had just finished a totally different type of novel that had me enthralled, so perhaps 'City of Beads' was just too much of a contrast. It's parked in my 'Try Again if Desperate' folder. Maybe at a different time, in a different mood....
on 21 April 2016
I got this on special for my Kindle because I'd read other books in this series.

It's not something I'd usually buy, which is the only reason for 3 stars.

If you like the other Tubby Dubonnet books, you'll like this one. It has a nice mixture of risk, everyday life, and crime. I did not forsee one of the bad guys removal from the story.
on 5 May 2016
You feel that you are in the slightly seedy side of New Orleans as the mystery unfolds.
Dubonnet is an interestingly flawed individual and the author develops him well through the book, whilst leaving space for further intrigue.
Well worth a read.
on 6 September 2015
With equal elements of Raffles and Sherlock Holmes; the character of Tubby Dubonnet, a present day New Orleans lawyer, is destined to become as much of a literary iconic figure and household name as both. Great characterization and intriguing plots, brilliant!
on 7 July 2014
Really enjoyed the first two books in this series, had me laughing out loud in places. Loved the way all the characters and seemingly separate incidents all came together. Very well written, looking forward to reading more of Tubby's adventures!
on 23 May 2016
This is the second book in the series. I like the books, but the plot pootled along for the first half, and by the time the pace picks up I was losing interest. If it was punchier I would give four - possiby five stars.
on 21 July 2015
Enjoyable book in the series. I've read a few of this series and really enjoyed them all.
on 3 March 2015
Good product at a sensible price