TOP 500 REVIEWERon 25 October 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I got this to replace my Philips Fidelio iPad dock DS3500 which is a neat box but it doesn't have remote control. So the obvious first bonus of the newer DS3600 dock is that it has a remote, as well as a more powerful (twice the output wattage) sound output. The bass is quite punchy and the sound is room filling. The iPad slots onto the dock very nicely (I have iPad 3) and in fact it works well with all iPad types (my other half has the iPad 1 and that sits on the dock nicely too). It looks and sounds great with iPod touch too.

The main things that stop me giving it 5 stars are the following:

- the Bluetooth streaming is easy to set up but a bit stop start because the first tracks often just misses the first couple of seconds ... Strange. I don't know why that is, and can only think that the Bluetooth capability of the speakers aren't as good as the DS3500 model this had replaced.

- there are no USB and headphone cables which the Amazon listing claims they have. Ad it' not that they're missing, the instruction booklet clearly only lists the speakers, AC adapter plug and remote ad the contents of the set. I will report the misleading listing to them.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This dock from Philips has a really nice size for those who don't want to take up a lot of space, it also has a very neat look to it.

The contents also include the power adaptor to power this unit up(it doesn't have any slots to insert batteries into to make it portable), and probably one of the most stylish looking remote controls you will ever see, the remote can be used when using the dock or Bluetooth feature.

I managed to get hold of a family members iPhone to which I tested the dock, it inserted very nicely with no hassle. Upon docking I received a notification to download a special app for this speaker, however do note that it's not mandatory to download it as it works fine without.

As you would expect from most docks these days, it does indeed charge your iPhone when docked.

When it came to trying the Bluetooth feature, I was a bit anxious to whether it would work on Android phones, this is probably down to a Bluetooth device I had used in the past which would only connect to iPhone Bluetooth and the fact on the page description & product box, it mentions nothing of compatibility with Android/smartphones with Bluetooth capabilities.

Well I can assure you it does work! I used my Sony Neo V to send audio to the speaker.

Another way you can connect your audio devices to this speaker is by using an auxiliary cable and plug it into the "MP3-LINK" slot located at the back.

When it came to the sound quality, apart from it lacking in bass, which is bad for heavier rock & dub-step audiophiles, it does deliver fantastic quality when it came to music such as pop, electronica & classical etc... For the price it's currently at, I can't fault the quality.

One more thing, on the back of the speaker, there is a mini-usb (*not supplied*) slot, when your iPhone/iPod is docked, if you hook up your PC/laptop with this port, you will be able to synchronise them, handy eh? :)

To finalise this review, if you want a quality speaker that doesn't take up too much space whilst looking good, then you may be looking at the right product for you.

- I have also uploaded some pics of the product which can be viewed at the top of the page. -
review image review image review image review image review image review image
44 comments| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 May 2013
I have received this product as a gift and unfortunately only after I've received it I realised that it is not compatible with my iPod (7th generation). I have found a solution -> buying an adapter that connects the Iphone old versions or old iPods to new connection. However, it did not help either. I went to the store, found the product and asked customer services guys to explain why even with the adapter it does not work.
The reason is just simple - it is simply not compatible with the software/network of new iPods/iPhones. So if you are looking for a stereo for your iPhone 5 - don't waste your money on this product. Hope this review finds relevant people and you change your mind before making the purchase.
55 comments| 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 March 2013
Bought on a warehouse deal at a great price. The item was missing the outer 'pretty' packaging but as far as I can see beyond that it is in brand new and unused condition.

Using it in the kitchen which is pretty big (7m x 3m with high ceilings) and it is easily powerful enough to fill the room nicely even with the washing machine and extractor on. You would need more grunt for a party, but for general familiy listening this is great. The bluetooth feature is much better than I was expecting it to be - it's actually really good! I have two devices paired and it will always perfer to connect to the last one used if it is in range which isn't always what I want but hey ho.

Internet radio is very good too - I can listen to almost every Slovak radio station I could ever dream of.

Really, really pleased with this purchase.
on 31 December 2013
I have only had this item for a couple of weeks, it seems to work very well once I had got it paired with my iPhone. my only misgiving is the scarcity of any setting up info, you have to download it from the web site.
I'm reserving full judgement on sound at the moment. Sounds a little concert hall, wide, I've played with equaliser settings and still not there yet. I wanted to comment as I don't have an i-blah so I thought how I got on with Android etc might be useful.

BLuetooth connection
Samsung Galaxy S3 (android)
Dragged down from Top, pressed bluetooth, scanned, found speakers as 'philips ds3600', went to music, pressed play. That simple.

Cowon J3 (their own software)
In menu/settings/bluetooth selected scan (initially after first time did it automatically), had it scan (won't find it if the speakers are paired with something else), found speakers as 'headphones' initially then after it does say Philips 3600, selected this, connected straight away. Played music no problem.

Remote
What really surprised me with both was that the remote works. Not just volume up and down but also track forward and back and pause etc with non apple products.

Cons
There's no bluetooth on/off on the remote, you have to go to the machine to do that which seems a little silly the point of bluetooth is to do things a little remotely. Whereas as the aux has an on/off on the remote but because the Mp3 player will be connected via the jack and therefore close to the speakers and making it so that you have to go to the speakers to turn the mp3 player on/off select album etc. Surely it would make more sense to have the bluetooth on/off on the remote or even go crazy and have both.

It's expensive

The silver pill shape in the middle is tacky cheap looking silver plastic. It wouldn't fool anyone.

Power
Apparently it will go onto standby after 15mins. There is no power off button on the unit or remote. If you want it completely off you have to unplug. I don't understand how we're being harassed to reduce energy consumption and companies are still allowed to manufacture items without an off button.

Power consumption isn't clear in the full instructions as several times in that area they missed the . (apparently the main unit is 12kgs total with packaging 2kgs, and it's also 25amps which it can't be - just had a look at the quick guide and that's correct) it says 15kwh whilst working, 0.5kwh whilst on standby.

The plug in my opinion is the wrong way round, the extended part of the plug is above the plug prongs ie above the single prong as it's plugged into a wall if that makes sense. So if you have a round cassette extension it will cover the opposite plug space. And I couldn't also use it with a cube which has multiple plug spaces because the extended bit of the plug is too long and the wall gets in the way. A quick look and all my other plugs if larger than standard plug size extend down when plugged into the wall (below the two prongs bottom of the triangle). Seems a bit weird. But only a problem if you're short on plug space as I am or you can use an extension lead.

Summary
Sound is adequate maybe I'm being unrealistic but for an RRP like this I did expect it to sound more like a hifi and not a pair of decent computer speakers. Not hearing the bass either which they've made a splash about usually I'm annoyed by too much bass.
Bluetooth is a doodle
It's compact
Remote works on non - iblah products
A few niggles in trying to plug it in and that there's no bluetooth button on the remote but exercise is good for you.
Is it worth the money - if it didn't have bluetooth and I had room for a micro system and it cost me £95+(paid £45) I would probably send it back and get a second hand Denon micro system off a certain website which I've done for the living room for half the current £95 cost of this. I guess it depends what your needs/budget are v cost.

Hope that helps other non-Apple folks whom I'm sure feel like me a little neglected in info for their devices.

Because of a previous review I thought I'd add this from he Philips website:
iPod compatibility
Compatible with: iPod, iPod classic, iPod mini, iPod nano, iPod nano 1st generation, iPod nano 2nd generation, iPod nano 3rd generation, iPod nano 4th generation, iPod nano 5th generation, iPod nano 6th generation, iPod touch, iPod touch 2nd generation, iPod touch 2nd gen 8/16/32 GB, iPod with colour display, iPod 5th generation
iPhone compatibility
Compatible with: iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S
iPad compatibility
Compatible with: iPad, iPad 2

Philips in my experience don't update their software, got caught out by this, was promised it would be then said it wouldn't be. Ended up giving the mp3 player to my Dad who used it with a computer with an older version of the microsoft software (I had to update for another product and it wouldn't sync with any other player I could find nor could I drag and drop and have files organised), it was just over a year old. Very annoyed. Therefore if your device is not on that list and you can't find anyone else online who has your device working assume it won't.
on 6 June 2014
I use the bluetooth function on this as I have an android phone (Galaxy S3), it took a few attempts to find it on my phone, but was easy enough to sync up. The sound quality is really good providing you don' have it full blast, but you don't really need it full blast as 3 quarters of the way is loud enough that it can be heard is any room downstairs!
on 4 February 2013
Great price for a good looking piece of equipment. It was the perfect size and not too "in your face"! Sound is fine for me and the controls are easy! I have no understanding of technology but plugged it in and off it went...simple!. Little anoyed that I had to buy an adapter for the lightning port but that's not Philips fault and would have had to for any docking spearker.
on 18 September 2014
In general quite good, looks nice. Main disappointment it comes with only about 1 metre cable which is very frustrating as would like more freedom to put other places rather than next to a plug. Sound is quite good but does vibrate when on full which is not that loud. Remote is a bit hit and miss sometimes works other times have to press it lots of times as if battery running out yet it is new? There are no controls on the unit possibly could benefit from a bass or surround sound feature. Did consider sending back but after having a couple of weeks feeling happier with it and a good price.
on 14 October 2013
I did think over buying this item as it was a used product, but I shouldn't have worried. The item was as new and looks and sounds good. It hasn't got the right connection for my iphone 5 but it links easily via the Bluetooth. Would recommend.