Format: DVD|Change

on 20 May 2017
What an amazing show this is. I never watched an episode before I bought this I saw trailers and it looked really good so i decided to buy it without actually knowing what I was going to watch and when I started to watch the first episode I knew I was hooked. The mystery and the story itself is brilliantly written and it always has you wanting more. The characters are brilliant also I like how they are all very different to one another but there's a connection with them all not just the mystery they are tied too and Allison but the strong friendship they have. I love how the story shocks you and keeps you guessing throughout. I'm actually near the end of series 4 and I have watched pll since i bought this bearing in mind I have never watched an episode before I bought it so I strongly recommend anyone who loves this kind of thing, mystery, shocks, guessing, and surprises should definitely buy it. I'm just sad knowing they are on their last few episodes of the final series which is series 7 because this show is by far one of the best shows I've watched.

I am very happy with the condition and the delivery.
on 13 June 2013
As the theme song says, "Two can keep a secret if one of them is dead". Unfortunately `Pretty Little Liars' has been kept almost a secret in this country, which is our loss as it is far better than it has any right to be, with an appeal way beyond the particular demographic at which it was originally targeted. According to the disc `extras', it was devised, initially as a series of books, subsequently as this television series, following the success of the television series Desperate Housewives (before that became too convoluted and preposterous). `Pretty Little Liars' was intended to be similar but adapted to be marketed mostly to teenaged school girls.

The result could easily have been something cynically made, unoriginal and patronising to its audience. Fortunately, it turned out to be one of the best programmes on television. Although centred on a group of teenaged school girls, the characters, and the situations and mysteries in which they are caught up, are interesting enough that this should appeal to viewers of most ages and both sexes.

As is common in American television, the supposedly High School aged characters are mostly played by actors well into their twenties. (Bianca Lawson who plays Miah is actually in her early 30s. A few people will remember her as the short-lived vampire slayer Kendra in `Buffy the Vampire Slayer' Season 2 in about 1998).

The cast as a whole are good enough that it is almost unfair to single out any of them, but I can hardly list them all, so I shall say that especially good are:

Troian Bellisario as the intensely driven member of the group Spencer

little Lucy Hale as Aria, who pretending to be older than she is, begins a romance with a guy she meets in a bar, only to find he is her new English teacher

and Keegan Allen as the misfit Toby, who lives with his blind sister and is widely suspected of a crime he did not commit. Almost no one suspects him of another seriously illegal thing that, under pressure, he really did do.

This first season is excellent and may Pretty Little Liars continue and be as good for some time. Thanks to all involved in making it.

PS added 4 years later. Since posting this review of PLL Season 1 in 2013 I have followed this series to the end of Season 6 and look forward to seeing the intended seventh and final Season. By now the girls have left school, ‘A’ has been unmasked, but a new, related plot has begun. However, the series is still good, still centred on Aria, Emily, Hannah, Spencer and sometimes Alison and the majority of the other recurring characters from Season 1 are still in it, yet somehow I never feel it has become predictable or repetitive.

I had wondered if this would be good seen once but lose its magic when seen again, especially, having watched up to Season 6 so far, I now know the answers to the main mysteries like who ‘A’ is, whether Alison is alive etc. However, I recently went back and started watching Season 1 again and found it is still wonderful. Indeed, now it is interesting to see how some characters e.g. Toby appear at first given the different roles they will play in later Seasons.

One of the things I like about PLL is that, unlike many series, it does not assume that relationships are only interesting when they are going wrong, or that for ‘soap opera‘ type interest characters must be forever swapping partners until practically every character has had a romance with every other character and it becomes absurd. While of course sometimes things go wrong, ‘Pretty Little Liars’ is kind enough to allow us to see characters enjoying long periods in happy relationships that last for some time.

As my original review already gave this programme the maximum 5 Stars I can’t actually increase its rating, but if I could, I would. Well done and thank you to everyone involved in in making it.
on 15 December 2015
Love .. love ...love this show... so great...
on 13 October 2012
I absolutely love Pretty Little Liars, I've read most of the books and will continue to read, the TV series is by far the best TV series I've ever seen. I really hope season 2 will be released on DVD over here!
The declared aim here is a "Desperate Housewives" for teens - gloss, glamour, outrageous (but enjoyable) storylines. The additional ingredient is plenty of scares.

In Rosewood, Pennsylvania, four friends are increasingly rattled by messages sent by "A". Surely this cannot be their manipulative mate Alison who suddenly disappeared a year ago, and whose murdered body has just been found? Can a malevolent ghost, who seems to know their every move, be threatening to reveal secrets if not obeyed? Or is their tormentor somebody very much alive, gloating to see them suffer? Whom can Aria, Spencer, Hanna and Emily trust...?

This is one of those shows that simply invites viewers to sit back and enjoy. Away with nitpicking critics who like to whinge! Ammunition is there: variable acting; some characters very shallow and confusingly alike in appearance; storylines not standing up to close examination (as with that stolen money); a tacky subplot involving Aria and teacher Ezra Fitz, they forever with furtive encounters which would in real life instantly arouse suspicions of staff and pupils alike.

So what! Such fault-finders are missing the point. This is intended as escapism. They should treat it as such.

Assets include the seriously scary blind Jenna, she either ominously tapping down corridors or turning up unexpectedly. Also impressive are charismatic Toby and Caleb, but have they secret agendas...?

Fans of the genre will at once wonder if Alison is dead after all, if Jenna is really blind, if there are more than one "A". For twenty two episodes we are kept guessing, but should not expect "A" to be identified this soon. A bonus reveals that Sara Shepard, creator of the novels upon which the series is loosely based, has yet to decide on the final outcome. (She says the show's creators may change it anyway.) The other bonuses are modest and mainly for fun.

Hopefully the show will not suffer the fate of certain others that began so promisingly. Some simply drifted on and on, even keenest fans beginning to lose interest. Far better for makers to have a firm grasp of the overall plot, rather than making it up as they go along.

In short, much here entertains, provided one does not delve too deeply.
on 17 September 2013
I had seen good reviews of this show. But it exceeded my expectations. With a fast paced addictive drama. With the seasons a full
twenty four episodes long.
The story revolves around four high school girlfriends,Aria,Spencer,Hanna and Emily. One year ago Alison the leader of the group disappeared, and now they start getting messages from "A" saying things only Alison would know. "A" knows all there secrets, watches there every move and makes some scary threats. Is Alison back? Or is "A" someone else?
on 11 August 2015
Brillant
on 25 July 2013
If you've never seen this show I definitely recommend you watch it. My friend told me about it when it first aired and I honestly can't get enough of it. To this day I've probably watched the full first series 3, maybe 4 times, the 2nd series 2/3 times, and completed the 3rd series now too. I'd say the first seasons the best based on what happens through out, and I've now even started reading the book series by Sara Shepherd. I'm only onto the 4th book at the minute so I don't have a complete opinion, however I do think the books are very different to the programme.

Still my far my favourite TV series.
on 12 February 2013
I am sooo happy that I finally have at least one season of PLL on dvd!! I would recommend this to anyone searching for a new TV fix to get obsessed with! - but be aware, things in Rosewood are never as they seem. Its been a long time that I have watched something that I haven't been able to predict the storyline within the first few episodes and its made me even more determined to figure everything out. Season one is brilliant, I love the pace of the show - even though I am always left dying to know more - I love the characters, and personally feel they all (including secondary characters and particularly, unlike the books, the parents/families) have a lot of depth and you get invested in them really easily. Most of all I love it because it keeps me on my toes, I am constantly thinking/looking for clues and remembering things from previous episodes so I can try and figure things out before my Uni friends with whom I watch the show! Plus I think it has cornered the market on hot men, great fashion and cute romances!! What more can you want from a show?
on 27 February 2013
This is the best tv series i have seen for a long time ,and dont let the teen element put you off buying as im way past my teens and still enjoyed this show enormously.Each element of the show works ,the acting is great and the plot twists at every turn,just when you think you have a handle on proceedings something else happens!!!!.
And the plot ? proceedings? well this review will develop into War and Peace if i go there ,just to say that four young women have a secret and that secret involving a missing girl leads to major developments,and i mean major!!over the course of the show.It gets a little creepy at times,murder,blackmail,attempted murder,lesbianism,they are all here and more ,and theres some compassion to the narrative which at times is pure evil!.
Buy and enjoy you will not be disappointed.Lucy Hale was a stand out for me in the acting stakes,although they (the four leads)were all good
Mark Stevens