on 5 March 2017
Quite enjoyed the book, even though EL James has a habit of repeating herself. It delves a bit more into Christian's insecurities, vulnerability and his fear of abandonment, but leaves it open for the reader to to come to their own conclusions. I think the way Christian is written being torn between his hard exterior and the love he has for Ana is an issue EL James wanted to explore more in 50 Fifty Shades Freed.

Ana also becomes more forceful, but sometimes you do despair of her going on and the whiny way in which EL James has written her, but I believe this is to make you think that she's very insecure and vulnerable and relies on Christian, when in fact it's the other way around. Christian relies on her.

Fify
on 26 February 2017
So many mixed reviews on this book. I literally could not put it down but like most agree the writing is not the best. If you're looking for cheap thrills though look no further: Anna's flushing - or more the amount that's she does it - will leave you feeling embarrassed for the poor girl!
on 27 February 2015
It doesn't matter how many times I read these books, I fall a little more in love with them each time!!

By now most of us know who Mr Grey is and also Ana. What draws me to these books every time is the journey these two take individually and together. Now most people read these books for the kink, I must admit it was the very reason I bought them many moons ago as it was all that people were talking about and I was intrigued BUT its not the reason I go back. As I mentioned before what pulls me back every time is their journeys and the love story. The way Christian changes throughout the books as he falls for Ana, even though he doesn't realise it at first. The way Ana also changes and grows into an amazing woman who is brave, defiant and very strong willed. Its about the path that two people take when they love each other and the subtle changes that both people make, mostly subconsciously to adapt to each other. Yes I have mentioned the kink and that and the RROP play a big part in the story but to me its not what stands out. We all take different things from every story and I guess what I take makes me a hopeless romantic and I'm proud of that!! I also know a lot of people don't like the books or the contents of the books and that is an opinion that they are entitled too just like this is mine.

I love all of the characters in the books from The Greys, Mrs Jones, Taylor and the security team, Ros, Dr Flynn, Ray and Jose Snr, Kate and Jose even the evil 'Mrs Robinson' Elena. the list is endless but they all make help to make the story work, they are there to add seriousness, humour, tears and drama, you have to love the drama because there is just so much of it. We all have our favourites and the story wouldn't be quite the same without them.

I could go on forever about my love for these books and which bits are my favourites but there are so many and the would contain so many spoiler so I will stop here and leave you to get the books for yourselves and make up your own minds.
on 15 September 2013
Awful books......awful, awful, awful.......BUT...... equally GENIUS!!!! I have no idea how to describe this mess but i'll have a go! These books are written from the pen of a teenager, idealistic, crass, nostalgic - in terms of 'teenage' fantasy!!!! So simplistic and so 'rubbish' for want of a better word BUT - so compelling - they took me back to the beginning of my forays into 'romantic' novels!!! I remember reading '15' by Beverly Cleary (I think).... such innocence, a first kiss etc. I was 12 at the time and read and re-read it over time and time again and it never lost the power to move me - hence my enjoyment of the genre! These books were written in the same vein... I was taken back to beginning of my foray into the fray! Genius is meant in terms of E L James tapping into precisely what I've just described!!! I can only give her books a big 5 in terms of achievement!!!! Much as I might denigrate the material, hey, she's just 'gone for it' and written some compelling stuff!!! Crazy but true!!! She's managed to make me interested in characters that are sooooo two dimensional - hell, ONE dimensional but so easy to read about. It's so simple and it works! I completely understand people hating this stuff but at the same time LOVING it... it's so simple. A simple story, every which way - completely unoriginal etc. but she's done it - I read all three and ENJOYED all three!!! Fantastic rubbish! I'm in awe simply for that!!! :)
on 23 March 2014
This was the book that made me fall in love with Christian, the only character I have fallen in love with in a romance / erotic novel and I have read many!
And it was not because of his money, his BDSM lifestyle or the sex - it was because he was a conflicted soul and you were taken on a journey with him and saw him starting to make his way out of the darkness and into the light in this book and it made me cry. I really felt for him and was willing Ana to heal him. Yes the sex scenes were enjoyable, not nearly as erotic and "shocking" as I had been lead to believe from all the hype. In fact I did start skimming through them in favour of the other scenes.
I loved the character growth so much I have had to re-read the books about three times,
I do feel that by the sheer impact / sales of these books EL James has helped make a subject that was formerly taboo by many - sex - to become a normal every day discussion (which it always was for me!) and has opened the door for many other writers to feel that they can put themselves out there without fear of ridicule and scorn and for that I thank you too!
on 22 April 2016
i have very mixed feelings about these books Volume One is dominated, sorry for the pun, with sex and not much of a storyline, however with volume Two and then Three this does improve slightly. I actually became interested a little. The only reason I rea these books was because I was abroad and had nothing better to do. I read all three in 5 days and I can truly say it’s an ok book to read the only thing that I can fault is just how much it repeats itself in all three books!

I would recommend a read of all the books even if this isn’t the type of genre that you would usually read as it defiantly is my usual.
VINE VOICEon 19 March 2014
As there is a lot been said about Fifly shades of Grey, I decided to buy it myself to read what all the fuss is about. From the very first chapter there are erotic scenes in it, but it is written in a beautifully descriptive way, that's what I like about it. The story is about Christian Grey, CEO of a large company and one day he is being interviewed by Anastasia Steele, who does an interview for the University newspaper. It should have been her friend, Kate, but she is ill, so Anastasia has to do it. It then comes to light that Christian has been adopted as his real mother was an addict and he never knew what real love was. As he swims in the money, he has a torture room in his appartment, used for sexual games with submissive girls. They had to sign a contract to be submissive and Christan wants Anastasia to sign that too. However, she does not want to commit to that and Christian starts having feelings for her that he didn't know existed. In the second book, they are being stalked by a previous girlfriend of him who has a gun. Christian also asks Anastasia to marry him, and he gets involved in an helicopter accident. They have a lot of sex all the way through, but it is written very good, so I enjoyreading it. Not yet finished with the third book.
on 11 January 2014
this is the third time I have read the trilogy l, I had it in paperback and then when I got a kindle it was the first thing I down loaded!!

as a mum of two, married for five years I know what it's like to get in the rut of no sex during the week cause you have to see to the kids and so shattered from work, well snuggle up to this book for half an hour and I'm sure that you will want to jump on your partner and make an effort. it's not just about the "kinkery f***ery" it's about a new relationship and how you felt when you first met the one you loved, if you've met them! it makes you think of a life before kids and routine! ok the kinky stuff is there and it sure as well does make you tick but it don't mean to say you have to try it!! I can safely say it's spiced up mine and the hubby relationship and can safely say hubby will be telling me to go read my "sex book" once we get back into the routines of kids and house.

for those of you that have gave it a rubbish rating then you really need to open up your minds and read it again when you are truly and madly in love but are stuck in that routine that they call life!

Dec a must read and will Dec be reading over.....over
....over.....over and over again xx
on 2 May 2017
Still lots of gratuitous sex, but this book actually has a story to it, unlike book 1. I read this book out of morbid curiosity, but now I'm interested & looking forward to book 3.
For some reason I'm not able to comment on book 3, so I'll just add it to this one. This book is actually much better than the other two. There is very readable story content which makes the sex take a back seat (as it were!), and a very satisfactory conclusion.
on 14 February 2014
Upon discovering that a film is being made based upon the books, I decided to give in and read the (still) much talked about Fifty Shades.
For the first couple of chapters we see Ana as a vulnerable, naive young girl . I wondered how much "Holy Cow" I could take but she knows exactly what she is getting into and grows up very quickly! But, in actual fact, she is becoming involved with a really good man ! Christian is in love with her from the get go but he doesn't know how to show it but why? is revealed as the story progresses!
If like me , you're made to cringe at the thought of a woman being exploited and experiencing pain during sexual play, then don't be put off this book. There is only one scene of such nature and her reaction is such a shock to Christian that it becomes the turning factor in his viewpoint! The remaining kinky stuff is fun and just used to make their sex life interes
ting ! There are plenty of highly sensual "vanilla"sex scenes as well!
Overall, the story shows what love and understanding can do for a damaged soul! Nothing to do with the exploitation of women as many people claim !

See one answered question