Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 16 May 2014
Great plot with realism concerning the risks taken by both individuals. Nicely built around the culture for that period. Easy to read.
on 15 May 2014
It's the first time I have read a book by the author I really enjoyed it I will read more of her work
VINE VOICEon 6 October 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have read another book by the author (Silent Revenge)but I like this one more. It tells the tale of spinster Lady Grace Warren, considered on the shelf at almost 29. She has fulfilled a promise to see her six younger sisters married off safely and out of the clutches of the perverse Lord Fentingdon. But it has come at a price, she must marry Fentingdon herself, which she has no intention of doing, so she goes to a friend to arrange for her to meet a gentleman who will deflower her.

Of course it does not end up being that simple and she gets a whole lot more than she bargained for. The hero in the story is attractive, I tend to imagine one of my favourite actors in the role, it helps a lot lol. Anyway, the Duke of Raeburn is a very emotionally damaged man who has already lost two wives in childbirth, can he risk history repeating its self and allow himself to fall in love?

A good paced story, although nothing ground breaking it was a good read and I managed to get through the book in just over a day. So if you are looking for a quick, romantic read this is the book.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As the older sister to six beautiful girls, Lady Grace Warren has long worried about the interest her depraved neighbour Lord Fentington has shown in them. But through much work and clever negotiations, Grace has at last succeeded in marrying each of her sisters to men they adore.

Now Grace is nearly thirty, unmarried and alone in her father's house. When Lord Fentington turns his vile attentions her way - with her father doing nothing to stop him - Grace knows she must act fast. For all his foul behaviour and rotten crimes, Lord Fentington would never marry a ruined woman. Luckily Grace has a plan: to spend the night with a stranger.

After losing two wives tragically in childbirth the Duke of Raeburn has no plans to ever marry again. Until he is unwittingly caught up in Grace's desperate plan. Furious and terrified that he may have got her pregnant, he sees no alternative but to marry - and with her life collapsing all around her, Grace struggles not to accept.

For how can any marriage last after such a bad beginning? And how can any love grow when danger looms all around?

At heart this is a story about pregnancy - and how the duke, Victor, struggles to come to terms with it. Oh, there's some other stuff about family, a murderous side plot and a nice romance, but in truth nothing else is as important as Grace's pregnancy and how Victor reacts to every stage.

Nicely written, and more enjoyable than Silent Revenge, this is a good Victorian romance with likeable characters and a warm ending.
VINE VOICEon 6 January 2013
When Grace's greedy father accepts an offer from a despicable suitor with a penchant for punishing women, Grace has no choice but to put him off by ensuring she is not the pure bride he desires. With assistance from her friend she pretends to be a part of a brothel and spends the night with a lord that her friend has picked out for her. Except she doesn't count on him figuring out that he's taken her virginity, and worried that she's pregnant he tracks her down. As with all romance novels life doesn't run smoothly, as Grace ends up with much more than she bargained for, and her spurned suitor is set on revenge against them both.

It's a good story with well written characters, it only occasionally becomes a little slow in parts although this is possibly due to the period setting as much as the story telling. Certainly an adequate light hearted read, and me that I enjoyed.
on 14 December 2013
I read this book primarily because I wrote a less than flattering review of the first one of her's that I read and wanted to see what I would think second time around. Sadly my criticism is the same. I can only speak for myself of course but when I read novels like this I like to imagine I'm the heroine, (although this us not something I'd want bandied about so your discretion is requested on this point). However since this is the point, heroines who spend their time begging for sex from men who show no inclination to indulge with them, whether they are married to them or not, quite frankly disgust me. I also womn who are so overcome with sexual desire that they find themselves unable to behave normally when in the vicinity of their sex object , subjects for a doctors surgery ! I find the idea of a hero who can't control himself even less appealing. Men who have spent their whole life to date haVing sex as and hen they feel the urge to satisfy their lust are I submit, highly unlikely to swoon at the sight of an ample bosom, or to be driven half mad by a kiss. In short, I find the love affairs as written totally unbelievable and neither of the leading characters people I can admire. In a society that was so rigidly moral in public and so totally immoral in private that was hypocritical to such a ridiculous degree, we are presented with shrinking violets who blatantly throw themselves at men but are overcome at the sight of a bare chest but nevertheless casually unbutton trouser flaps and just as casually play around with the manly appendages within. Are we all whores at heart? This is what these books suggest to me. I know women had no rights at these times but they most definitely didn't all tamely obey the dictates of their autocratic husbands as our heroines are prone to do unless they are stamping their pretty little feet about some inconsequential little thing. Perhaps I should simply read other authors. I am being unfair writing this as my first review was written in frustration not so much at the book in question but all the books like it. However , after having submitted it I had to read another to give the author a fair chance. I suppose I want some strong , solvent, honourable man to take the trouble to look beyond my far from prepossessing exterior,to the diamond within,who then overcomes my carefully constructed defences with his persistent , subtle, carefully constructed campaign to bed and hopefully, wed me. Along the way he can make my heart race, give me goose bumps, make me blush, make me do all sorts of things I don't want to do by sheer force of his commanding personality and he can be over familiar as and when he has a chance, in fact I insist on it! What he can't be is autocratic to the point of despotism, a drip who can't control his urges or who cries and wrings his hands in the face of adversity. Is my hero out there? I don't know, I'll just have to keep reading and hope I come across him one day. Sigh!
on 9 December 2012
Grace is the eldest of 7 girls her father is an Earl and he is cruel and wants to sell off his daughters to the depraved Lord Fentington. To him they have no value because they are girls and can't be heirs to his Earldom. Being the oldest Grace intervenes and makes sure all her sisters make love matches. She has now seen to her youngest sister's marriage. . Grace has exchanged herself and agreed to marry this evil perverted Baron, that her father has been trying to marry off one of his daughters too for years. Being Victorian England, a woman possesses only one thing of value and that's her viginitiy. Grace has a plan and to lose her virginity. Duke Raeborn is the lucky fellow who does the deed. He thinks Grace is a courtesan and doesn't know she is a virgin or who she really is. Vincent, Duke Raeborn has had two previous wives who die in child birth and has made a vow to never marry again or plant his seed in a women again. After being tricked into taking Grace's virginity he tracks her down and makes her marries him. Of course she is pregnant.
On top of this there is someone out there trying to kill him.....her or both of them! The storyline has a twist but if you read closely you can identify the would-be murderer. I found this to be a light enjoyable read and would recommend it to anyone.
VINE VOICEon 15 October 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The synopsis of this book is:

"When Lady Grace Warren's father sells her in marriage to the depraved Lord Fentington, she knows only the most drastic action will save her from a life of misery. In Victorian England, a woman possesses only one item of value: her virtue. Without it, Fentington will not want her--nor will any other man. But at least she will be free. Now she must find a man with whom to pass the fateful night, a man who will ask no questions, make no other demands. Because for a woman preparing to risk everything, no ordinary man will do...

After losing two wives in childbirth, Vincent Germaine, Duke of Raeburn, vows never to marry again. Racked with guilt over the lives lost in his quest for an heir, he is careful now to take his pleasure only with London's most discreet courtesans. Yet when he learns that a passionate encounter with a bewitching stranger may have put yet another life at risk, Vincent sets out to find the unsuspecting girl--and discovers a woman of incomparable courage, beauty, and strength. But can two strangers brought together by desperation find true love against all odds?"

You get just what you'd expect from such a description; a historical romance with a nice happy ending :-)

I really enjoyed this book. It wasn't that the plot was original - it isn't - but the style of writing and the characters of the hero & heroine, who are both very likeable, engaged me. I really recommend it for a light-hearted feel good read."
on 5 December 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
At 348 pages, this is a long story. Long in the way that it is way too slow-paced and in combination with highly stereotypical characters, it made it really difficult for me not to abandon it.
The plot is completely unoriginal and the style wordy and stuffy.
on 8 July 2013
I hoped for a new Georgette Heyer kind of writer but it wasn't like that at all. If you like Mills and Boone or Barbara Cartland then this might pass muster, otherwise I would definitely not recommend this book.