Style Name: DVD Player|Change

on 27 August 2012
A brilliant little DVD Player that does its job very well. The picture shown on my Sony HD TV is clear and sharp even from standard DVDs and the unit is unobtrusive. Very good value! Word of caution - no Scart socket, only MDMI connection available. No HDMI lead supplied.
0Comment| 149 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 June 2014
I wanted a cheap DVD player with upscaling for my large 1080P Samsung TV and this seemed perfect for my needs.
It's very small and you won't have trouble fitting it on a small shelf.
It is idiot proof too. Simply plug in an HDMI cable (don't get ripped off with expensive HDMI cables as one costing a few quid works the same as the one they will try and sell you for double figures) and press play. The default settings identify your TV resolution and if you use the TV speakers you don't need to do anything else. Obviously if you use a fancy setup with surround sound hi-fi etc you would have to go into the menus but for most people this is plug and play. For those that do like to play with the settings there are some extra options for the picture and sound outputs. The upscaling works extremely well even on old DVDs as long as they were filmed in widescreen of course. Don't expect some 4:3 programme from the 70s to look HD. But on modern standard DVDs the electronics do a very good job of increasing the detail.
The main operation buttons are on the top of the box and there is a USB slot on the front for looking at your photos-I have not tested this. There is no display on the player just a dim power light. In practise this actually doesn't matter. You can call up the info on screen and most people just play the DVD without needing to know time elapsed and chapter etc.
It's also very quiet in operation with just a faint whir when its searching the disc.
The remote is quite easy to operate but has small buttons and is hard to see in dim light. The player responds very quickly to button presses.
My main criticism is the length of the mains cable which is stupidly short. The cost of cable is pennies and there is no reason for such a short lead and it should be double the length.
Overall I am very impressed with this cheap player if you are looking for a simple player with the added bonus of upscaling you won't need to pay any more.
11 comment| 132 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 July 2012
I wanted an easy-use,high quality DVD player to link with my Sony Bravia bedroom TV.This model is superb.My only criticism is the relatively short mains cable fitted.The memory function is especially useful as some of my DVDs are long and I don't have time to view them at one sitting.There are plenty of other features to explore in due time. Being very non-tech I took advice off other Amazon reviews and also bought an Amazon Basics HDMI link cable. No regrets there either. I suspect if I bought the Sony locally I'd have been sold a more expensive cable in my ignorance of the subject.
11 comment| 122 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 January 2014
I was surprised at how small this unit is but it's very good. You'll need a HDMI cable with it, I recommend the antigrav one you can get from here that's only a couple of pounds, works perfectly with our 46 inch samsung TV. Very easy to set up, controls aren't difficult and the picture looks awesome. Happy customer, especially at this price.
on 24 September 2014
Plug it in and away you go, even if you are a technophobe! We had previously had a TV with built in DVD and when it died and we had to buy a new one and did not think about this so suddenly found ourselves without. A quick look on here and a read of reviews & we made the purchase. No regrets. Small & neat so out of site and does the job.
on 13 October 2012
To be fair to this little DVD its not a bad bit of kit for the price. (absurdly cheap)

where a lot of users are going wrong I think is that they are not setting it up - this means reading the manual that comes with it.

In short it dose NOT operate at max quality until its been set up!

you need to get into the custom menu - without a disc playing and follow the set-up instructions ON SCREEN.

You also need to make sure the same is true of your flatscreed/HD Tv. far too many people buy them and watch them straight out of the box - IF you want to get the best out of your equipment YOU MUST SET IT UP or your wasting your money....

The first DVD I played on it was a £3 copy of Legend of the Guardians ,wonderful animation and the detail and colors were fantastic - as near to blue-ray quality as you will get without blue-ray gear.

I was most impressed for the price. PE
on 27 April 2013
I'm very happy with this easy to install and compact machine. It works extremely well with my Sony Bravia TV and has excellent picture quality.
on 7 July 2012
If I was just purchasing this as a DVD player, then it would be a 5 star review. If you buy this for its USB video play back you will be very disappointed. The overview for this product initially says "Free your digital movies and music: Dive into your movie and music libraries and enjoy old favourites on the big screen and surround sound with a USB connection. Plug in your laptop or transfer to a memory stick for fast access to your film library.". Unfortunately when you dig into the manual you will see this is limited to "Video: MPEG-1 (Cyber-shot data)/MPEG-4 (simple profile)/Xvid" and "720 (width) × 576 (height)".

Non of my existing files will play ( including Xvid), so I would need to re-encode all my files to an inferior standard/lower bitrate. Hardly freeing my digital library...
66 comments| 135 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 17 January 2013
Very easy to use and set up. I have Sony TVs, so there is also some commonality of remote controls (however the instructions do advise how the remote which comes with this product can be tailored to other TV manufacturers) The unit has no display on the front, to display the time, track number or whatever, as you might find on a larger unit, but I cannot say I am bothered by that. It seems to do a good job, and I have had no problems with the operation so far. It seems to have some memory function which allows a disc to be reinserted and played without having to sit through all those tiresome messages about illegality of copying, playing to a paying audience and other copyright matters; that in itself is a great advantage. In summary however, I think this is a cracking little unit and offers great value for money from a top manufacturer.
on 12 July 2012
Good neat little DVD player, quiet in operation, decent sound quality, and with the added bonus of a USB port conveniently located at the front which is ideal for viewing photos located on a memory stick on the tv screen. This dvd player connects via HDMI cable (not supplied). It does NOT have a scart outlet, so do not buy if you wish to connect via scart!