TOP 500 REVIEWERon 15 January 2016
This arrived though I was disappointed with the packaging, arriving in a standard non padded Amazon envelope card board packaging with the hard drive placed inside with no padding, though there was no apparent damage to the hard drive. I ordered this to upgrade and use for my PS4.

Here's what I did and I'm not particularly a computer techy but have a reasonable amount of knowledge though it's definitely not necessary.

Firstly, you'll need the following:

* Your PS4, with gamepad and microUSB charge cable
* A medium Philips screwdriver
* This hard drive or similar 2.5" drive
* A 1GB or greater USB flash drive (to reinstall the PS4’s system software)

Follow this link to install the PS4 software onto the memory stick.

* Turn off PS4 fully, not into rest mode but off completely and unplug everything
* With the PS4 facing you on a stable surface, slide off shiny part of the console cover to the left
* Once removed, the bottom left corner is the hard drive in a housing.
* Unscrew the one single screw nearest to the bottom left corner of the console.
* Slide out gently, the hard drive housing which is
attached to the hard drive, towards you.
* On the sides of the housing once removed from the console, there are 4 dark grey screws. Unscrew all these and slide the hard drive out of the housing.
* Slide new hard drive into the housing and replace the four screws.
* Slide housing containing new hard drive back into the console slot
* Replace the first screw taken out at the start of this process.
* Replace console cover.

Plug all cables back in and get ready for first switch on.
Ensure USB STICK is in USB PORT having already downloaded the relevant software to it previously by visiting the Sony website.

Also, ensure your ps4 controller is plugged into the console as it won't work wirelessly yet.

Hold the power button on console. You'll hear a first beep then another beep after approx 7 seconds. After this second beep, release the power button.

Your console will switch on into safe mode and guide you through the rest.

This is a great drive with no issues so far and offers excellent value for money. It seems quicker at loading games too and is very quiet indeed.

**IF YOU FOUND THIS REVIEW HELPFUL, PLEASE CLICK ON THE HELPFUL BUTTON. THANK YOU.
on 29 November 2013
I bought this for the PS4 about two weeks ago, my playstation 4 came today and before I did any thing my dad installed it and found no problem with replacing it with the original hard drive. After installation I have about 861gb of free space, excellent choice, would recommend to anyone thinking of an upgrade.
on 19 November 2013
++++++++++
UPDATE 28TH NOVEMBER 2013. Here is a link that gives instructions on the Official Sony UK PlayStation website to download and then initialise your PS4 after replacing the Hard Drive. Within these instructions is a link with the name 'DOWNLOAD NOW', this will download the system software update file (1.51), which you will need for your UK PlayStation 4 after replacing the hard drive (859MB - PS4UPDATE.PUP):

++++++++++

I am purchasing this Hard Drive to upgrade the 500GB that comes with the Sony PlayStation 4 console released on 29th November 2013 in the UK.

I phoned Sony PlayStation customer services yesterday to check whether this HD was compatible with the new PS4, and although they cannot as yet officially confirm that it is, they did tell me that all the product details fit the requirements of a PS4 replacement HD as indicated in the US PS4 Ultimate FAQ document, i.e.

SATA II
2.5 inch
5,400 RPM
9.5mm thick
Memory capacity higher than 160GB

[...]

One important thing to remember however is to make sure you have the 1.51 system software update file on a USB stick downloaded from the UK Sony PlayStation website, and NOT the US 1.51 system software file currently available on the US Sony PlayStation website. The UK 1.51 file is not currently available until 29th November 2013, once the UK PlayStation 4 console is released. The 1.51 system software update file will then be available on Official European Sony PlayStation websites.

Again, important NOT to download the US 1.51 system software file if you have a UK PlayStation.

Also remember after downloading the 1.51 system software update file (PS4UPDATE.PUP) to then place it in a folder named UPDATE and then place this folder inside a folder named PS4, (all uppercase) before you put it on your USB stick. Otherwise, your PS4 console will not recognize the file on the USB stick.

Here is an excellent and easy to follow guide on how to upgrade your PS4 HD to a 1TB SATA II HD:

[...]
2424 comments| 74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 April 2013
I purchased one of these so that I could replace my ps3s 120gb hdd as all ps3 owners will know the hdd space gets full pretty quickly with game data/updates and game add ons. Overkill or not You just can't have enough space in my opinion. After backing up my old hard drive of 93gb or so to a fat32 external drive along with the ps3 update, put this new one in, installed the update and did the restore. Works brilliant, you get about 821gb or so when placing in the ps3 for the first time and after the restore I'm still looking at over 700gb of free space. The drive is nice and silent and all I can hear is the cooling fan. Worth every penny and highly recommended to others.
on 2 February 2013
This item worked perfectly as a replacement for the 40GB hard disc in my PS3. No problems or issues whatsoever.
on 21 February 2013
I don't usually write reviews but I thought this hard drive is seriously under rated, especially compare to the older Samsung HN-M101MBB 1TB 5400rpm model. After having both drives here is what I found:

The older, Samsung HN-M101MBB 1TB 5400rpm SATA 2.5 inch Internal Hard Drive: read av +- 75mb/s , write av +- 70mb/s
This model, Samsung/Seagate ST1000LM024 1TB 2.5 inch 5400RPM SATA II Hard Disk Drive: read av +- 87mb/s, write av +- 88mb/s

*both tested with blackmagic at 1GB, 3GB and 5GB stress on a macbook pro 2.2 i7, SATA II 3.0 port (optic bay), 16gb ram.*

The speed of this hard drive amaze me as its almost as fast, if not faster than the Seagate Momentus XT 750gb hybrid drive (yes I have one of those as well), tested at around 80-90mb/s at both read and write speed in main bay SATA III 6.0. The samsung/seagate is A WHOLE 250GB BIGGER AND HALF OF THE PRICE compare to the XT.

I was sooo close to buy another older HN-M101MBB model because of the ratings and my previous experience, but thought hay, why not give this a try as the 3 stars review here dont really make sense IMO.

Over all very happy with this drive, very quick, reasonably quiet and pretty good on the power withdraw. Will buy another when time comes!
on 28 March 2013
I got this as a drive upgrade for my PS3 Slim. I went for this over the older Samsung HN-M101MBB that's been around for a while now. No problems with installation, although you do need to know what you're doing. Having hundreds of gigabytes of storage is a massive improvement over my old 120Gb. Transfer rate is decent enough and there have been no problems with overheating. However, be aware, you don't get the full storage capacity to play with. While this is a 1TB drive, the useable space is actually around 880Gb (the rest is taken up by the PS3's system data and other stuff). Even so, if you're an avid PS3 gamer, upgrading to a drive this size is one of the best purchases out there.
55 comments| 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 May 2013
If you are looking for more out your PS3 as you have PlayStation Plus, get this. Easy and economical. Thanks for the very quick delivery. Oh! And remember if you do install a bigger hard drive on the PS3 the console automatically reserved 15% space so the TB was a good choice.
on 10 March 2013
After the original 320GB hard disc failed and couldn't be recovered in an otherwise very usable Sony Vaio laptop, this Samsung 1TB 2.5 inch drive appeared such good value that anything less saved only a very few pounds.

I received it within 2 days and fitted it within ten minutes, then loaded it with Windows 7 (laptop was originally Vista, but who wants that?). The drive was already correctly formated so all I had to do was boot the machine from the CD and load up.

This 1TB drive has been brilliant. It is quiet (could say silent) and has worked without a hiccup since I fitted it a few weeks ago. It has also significantly increased the performance rating of the laptop, as it is much faster than the original.

At this price for a 1TB 2.5 inch disc that works silently, how can I rate it at anything less than 5 stars?
on 14 October 2012
Needed a replacement for faulty hard drive in laptop. I already have a Seagate 320 gb external hard drive which has been great over the years with no problems so picking this was a no brainer for me and it as good as I expected.