on 7 June 2013
I've read a review for this product with complainants the lamp being as bright as a 150W lamp. First of all: It's bright enough! Whether it's as bright as an 80W or a 200W lamp I can't tell, and it doesn't really matter (because power isn't even the adequate unit to measure brightness). I use it to light my driveway and this light does the job.
I was surprised none of my fellow reviewers took issue with the solar cell mount. Because in my opinion, that one took out all the fun out of installing this lamp.
While the lamp itself seems to be of high quality (and nicely designed), I dare to call the solar panel and its mount "cheap". It's provided with two brackets, that hold the panel at a 45 degree angle. And that's it. If you want to swivel it, you have to swivel the whole panel which looks just wrong. Mounting the brackets to the panel is painful, since the solar panel is essentially an aluminium picture frame with four holes at the back. It's left to the buyer to figure out how to get the nuts behind the frame and the screws inserted into the brackets. It took me about half an hour to get the four screws in. The manufacturer saves a few pennies at the cost of their customers.
The other disappointment was the cable between lamp and solar pannel. While the PIR detector has an additional cable, that allows for some adjustment in the distance between lamp and detector, there is only one length of cable for the solar pannel (8m I believe). If you want to shorten it, you need a soldering iron.
Once installed, the painful installation is quickly forgotten, though, The PIR detector works well, I found an acceptable setting for timer, brightness and sensitivity relatively quickly.
The wife is happy because the lamp looks nice and visitors appreciate no longer having to find their way in the dark.
Would buy again, but hope manufacturer has improved solar panel mount by then.
on 7 December 2012
This is advertised as 150w equivalent. It is no where near that. I have a standard bulb security light which is 60w and it is about the same as this. Side by side, I would say the lumens were about the same. It was impressive for solar, but it's not 150w!

The light itself is VERY high quality and a superb build. I am sure it will last a long time, but if you are powerful floodlight, I am afraid this is NOT the one.

We also have a small 120w halogen security light and it is SO much brighter I cannot even describe the difference.

I would still buy this unit if you have a small area to light, but we wanted the whole of our driveway and garden and this just doesn't have the power as advertised.
1111 comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 July 2012
I really wasn't sure at first just how effective it could possibly be... But I'm really pleased and just as effective if not more then a normal outside security light.
Also very easy to put up and with no electricity bills...thrilled with it and think I'll be ordering another one
on 12 April 2012
The Astron64 is the fourth product which I have ordered from The Solar Centre, the primary reason for this being their exceptional customer service. I ordered first a pair of low spec HP30 security lights over three years ago to protect a garage not joined to my flat. One of them failed recently and I benefitted from after-sales support well after the warranty period had expired.

I ordered the Astron64 to cover areas in my garden that are very difficult to cover well with conventional mains security lights. The problem with mains security lights is that intruders are able to bypass them altogether by hugging the wall on which they are mounted and walk under them. The Astron64 with an Evo56 mounted opposite entry points, covers entry into the garden and blind areas. This not only provides an instant visual alert in event of an intrusion but lights the dark alley way very well when the bins need taking out.

The Astron64 arrived very quickly today, well before the expected ETA given and I was advised by text message 24 hours and then 3 hours before delivery. On unboxing, this product immediately sets itself apart from other solar lights with it's metal construction. It feels very sturdy and solidly built. It took just under 30 minutes to install the the Astron64 and I'm sure I will enjoy many years of solid service.
on 17 July 2012
The unit was very easy to install and so convenient to set up in an area without having to install electricity cable. I was surprised how bright the light was even after a cloudy day. We also have the fixed Astron Solar lights to use as lighting in the garden which are also great. Highly recommended.
on 17 January 2015
I now have two of these and I'm delighted with them. We live in a rural area and our garden and driveway are very dark. Getting power to our driveway entrance would be hugely expensive so I needed something like this. After trying a much cheaper brand that lasted just over a year I replaced it with this. This quality is very much in evidence.
on 31 May 2015
I was very surprised with how bright this unit is, had a minor problem at the beginning when delivered as the rocker switch in the bottom of the light unit didn't work which stopped the unit from receiving power, however this problem was soon sorted and the unit is working great. will be buying a few more in the next few months
on 26 October 2014
BEST SOLAR LIGHT EVER.
I now have 5 of these, says it all doesn't it!
Just a great light, bright and works well in winter too.
Would not but anything else of I needed a solar light.
And a great company re customer service.
As you can tell I am pleased with my lights!!
on 24 June 2014
A sturdily built product with metal frames. A good light that is used to light up a patio area. Superior to another light that I previously bought that has a plastic solar panel housing. During the winter the solar panel provided enough charge for the light to be used regularly and did not dim or fail. I have not however tested it by having it constantly on. A fairly priced product that I can recommend.
on 12 February 2014
This light was to replace a 'similar' light bought from Maplins which although it worked as advertised was very poor quality and failed at just over a year old. In contrast the Ariston light is is very well made with metal casings and sturdy waterproof connections. The quality and spread of light is excellent.