on 6 July 2012
The dock will leave that empty feeling when you purchase it.
I waited for 3 months for this device to finally arrive, trying different suppliers and it finally arrived.
First of all the dock looks very nice and is well built. It will fast charge your htc one x and give you a good viewing angle when watching movies, it also has built in speakers that work better than i expected. Sadly that is all that is good about this dock.

The dock connects using pogo pins on the back of the device, if its not seated exactly right and there is any dirt on the pins or your device the dock will buzz and crackle. this woke me up a number of times the first night of ownership. Sadly as its for a mobile phone they are prone to dirt and dust, the dock should recognize that the speakers are not needed and turn them off, sadly it wont.

I use mine as a night clock / bedtime stand. I like to listen to audiobooks to get me to sleep, this dock i thought would be ideal, again i was surprised that there is NO audio output along with hdmi, the only connection you get on the device is the power input nothing else!!. All the buttons and normal headphone jack are covered when in the dock.
I decided to try my Bluetooth adapter - again i hit a problem.
I use my one x in the car and have the Bluetooth audio set to max when docked, the one x will automatically turn the audio output to max, no problem normally as you would just turn it down, but the dock prevents you accessing the volume control on the phone, and the volume control on the dock only controls the built in speakers - NICE ONE HTX ......... software is the only option here that i will investigate at a later date.
Also for some reason when the phone is on the dock the Bluetooth audio becomes distorted and horrible to listen to - when removed from the dock the audio returns to normal.

You cannot connect to the pc and sync charge with mains at the same time. The dock will accept a normal usb (micro) to the back of the dock , you will also get reduced charge rate but it will only go into dock mode when connected to the pc and wont go into sync - seems silly as the pogo pins are suppose to be able to transferee data

HTC have incorporated their own desk dock (as well as car dock mode), both of these modes on the phone are useless, the ethos of android is customization, so HTC decided to lock the dock modes to only a handful (mostly useless) apps which you cannot edit, all you can do is choose another dock altogether taking away the htc sense feel. HTC if your reading this make these apps customizable now

Overall im given this a generous 2 stars as it is well made and feels solid, the speakers are far better quality than i expected - but the pure lack of feature and price of this dock make it a very very poor purchase.
there are far better docks around made by no name manufacturers, all htc needed to do was add a headphone socket and it would have been 3*, hdmi and headphone 4-5*

move along and get another dock
66 comments| 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Reviewer Keith is entirely right: this is a beautifully-made white elephant. It's essentially useless for anything other than fast-charging. You can't use it as a bedside alarm-clock because of the buzzing issue. You can't use it very effectively as a hands-free dock for a similar reason.

The worst, again as Keith mentions, is that the HTC dock mode is locked. I thought I'd be able to have my calendar up on display for fast access, for example, but no you can't. You can't swap the audio player for one of your own, you can't actually do anything useful with it docked.

Feel like a bit of a dimwit for being so keen to get one!
on 10 April 2014
I bought this as my HTC One X was no longer charging from the USB port and this charges using the docking port on the back (5 small metal circles on the bottom right of the back of the phone).

I had read a few bad reviews and this left me a tad worried but as long as it charged the rest was of no concern, however when it arrived I plugged it in (very easy to set-up) and it charged great I then played some radio through tunein radio and the sound was super loud but it can't handle the base it crackles and the volume is off, loud and too loud so not much in volume control but as an alarm clock WOW wakes you from across the room easy.

So initial tests seemed good, sound quality is ok its not competing with my Sony headset anyway its more of a podcast/streamed audio speaker anyway and the volume is off but this could be my settings on the phone I'll try and see if I can change it better (hence why I gave it a 4*).

Charging is great, very quick and the docked display is really good, I'm using Smart Launcher so I prefer that one but it jumps to landscape and you can still use the phone while it is docked to play games and check facebook or you can just leave it on and use it like a clock in the room.

Setting it up is as easy as plugging it in and putting your phone on the speaker, that's it done there is a extra holder but I found it better to use it with out however the trade off is with the holder (little plastic phone shaped card) you can get the phone out of the dock easier vs with out it connects better and fits like a glove (not that hard to remove unless you have big fingers)

Overall, a great product that does what I needed it to do and then some I'm more than happy to recommend this to others especially if your USB port is not working or you want a dock for work/bedroom as it will angle the phone great and you can see notifications while it charges.
on 15 July 2012
Well it charges your phone & plays sound through the internal speakers, that's the good bit.

As for the cradle itself, connect your phone as per instructions & listen it snap,crackle & pop ! as the dock picks up interference from the phones incoming/outgoing signals, my guess being this will drive you mad especially if you want to use it as a bedside cradle like me.

To silence it you have to turn the volume down, so what's the point ?

Save you're £50 & forget about the two month waiting list its not worth it.
on 3 August 2012
Great build quality , great sound can fill a room easy with a good quality sound not tinny or plasticy sounding . My only faults with it are that its not a micro USB adaptor for the power like I hoped as I wanted to use it in the car with leads to the next fault , it dosent hold the phone very well so loses connection very easy I.e vibrations from walking past it ect so wouldn't work in the car anyway but iv woke up a couple of times to find it hadn't been sitting right so hadn't charged witch was annoying but I'm gettin used to it now so not to bad , its very easy to use and looks and sounds great I just wish it held the phone a little better ,, other than that I defo recommend it , tbh this dock is the only reson I got the x one instead of the galaxy s 3 and i don't regret it at all
on 7 November 2012
I'd read some bad reviews about this dock for the HTC One x but I'm glad that I went my own way and bought it. The speakers are decent quality, reviews were saying that whenever the phone was docked the speakers would turn on and make a noise and there was no way to turn it off, well, I haven't noticed this at all and frequently charge my phone on the dock in my bedroom at night....silently. Also some reviews said that once the phone is docked the screen stays lit and wont turn off, again I haven't had this problem either.

It sits the phone just at the right angle to use. It's great to use for watching youtube videos and using my media link to my tv. However, dont buy this dock if you were hoping to sync your phone with a pc because there are no ports in it to allow this unfortunately. I like the way that I can just drop my phone onto the dock and it just connects, charges and goes into dock mode as apposed to another dock I bought that you had to align the usb port with the dock port (trying not to scratch the sides of the phone)

I highly recommend this dock....unless something goes drastically wrong.
on 9 July 2013
I changed mobile phones as frequent as underpants and have been through my fair share of mobile phone docks. This is by far the best one I've ever owned and the easiest way to charge a smart phone until wireless charging is eventually done correctly.

It has a small footprint and looks stylish. Speakers are about what you'd expect for the size. They're not going to fill a room with deep bass, but are much louder than my Sony laptop speakers. Dock functionality is pretty good, displaying in either a landscape version of your current home screens or the special dock mode, which looks great, but is limited to which apps you can have on the main screen e.g the music player is only the stock one for local files but I use Deezer and Play Music which can't be accessed. Its only a minor gripe though.

The biggest problem and the reason that this item isn't getting 5 stars is because I purchased a new item and what I received was an open, grubby, and partially torn box. I did consider sending it back, but on the basis that I paid a little over £18 when the same thing is being sold on ebay for £59.99, I decided I'd let it slide.
on 24 November 2013
Great little product, if only volume controls would work properly, I either got full blast sound or nothing at all, the slightest touch to lower the volume turned it down completely, I tried 2 but same thing happened, had the control worked I would have been very impressed with it, build quality is good apart from that little but major design fault.
on 6 May 2014
Quality of build is fine but the problems others have mentioned about the audio level makes it useless for me. Impossible to set this for low volume. It's ear-bleedingly loud, loud or mute.
Okay as a drop-in charger but nothing more.
on 13 September 2012
After reading the reviews on here I was very unsure about buying this dock. Anyway, I took the plunge and really cant fault the dock - I haven't experienced any problems with it.

I found that if you follow/have the following, the dock performs perfectly:

1) Attach the official HTC hard case - HC C704- it sits better in the dock and doesn't have connection issues
2) Install a decent/independent Graphic Equalizer for your music - the dock actually has a decent sound output and can handle deep bass
3) Use your own volume control on the phone, rather than the dock volume - it plays nicely a very low levels

I noticed that the phone charges very quickly in the dock - on average, after 40 minutes or so I have a full charge.

It is very stylish and compliments the phone - I think it looks stunning on my bedside table and you are able to control the various dock settings from your phone - sleep mode, wake up options, screen settings etc.

I have given it four stars - it's dropped a star due to the fact the dock should work perfect straight out of the box without any of the modifications listed above and I do think the price is a little too high.