Colour Name: Green/Black|Change

Colour Name: Black|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
When I saw that this headphone had been developed in consultation with Jay-Z, I wasn't optimistic about its sound quality - Skullcandy seem to be like Beats, producing headphones with dubious celebrity tie-ins and an inflated price tag. But I decided to give them a try with an open mind - I'm glad I did.

First impressions are good - the packaging is lavish, and the headphones come packed in a leather-look bag with a polishing cloth. The build quality of the phones is adequate rather than great - the overall feel is solid enough, but a bit lightweight in places, and there is a lot of flashy looking chrome trim that I suspect will wear badly. The earpads, while comfortable enough, are imitation leather rather than the real thing, so I suspect sustained listening might get a bit sweaty - that said, I had no problems in my listening sessions.

They are comfortable to wear - not too much pressure on the side of the head, and not too heavy. The cord is detachable - useful if you damage it - and includes a microphone and controls for Apple devices. So - the important bit - how do they sound?

In a nutshell - surprisingly good. The overall sound balance is excellent - there is decent, solid bass, but it doesn't overpower everything else, and the treble is vivid and detailed, but still smooth enough not to be tiring to listen to. In my first listening session, I tried a selection of high bit-rate AAC tracks on an iPod classic, and they never produced anything less than a pleasant, involving sound - from orchestral soundtrack music to progressive rock, they coped well with it all, and had me eagerly trying different tracks to hear how they would sound.

I then compared them against two competing lightweight headphones, being driven by an iPod nano - the Bose over the ear phones, which are slightly cheaper at around £100, and B&W's luxurious P5 at a substantially more expensive £250. The Skullcandys were easily better than the Bose - a much more natural sound, with stronger bass and a less glaring treble. The comparison with the B&Ws was less black and white - both sounded good, but the B&Ws did do a better job of making individual instruments discernible. That said, given the difference in price, you'd hope they would be better - that the Skullcandys largely hold their own against the much more expensive B&Ws is praise indeed.

These headphones aren't cheap, and the build quality does feel perhaps a bit flimsier than I would like for the price, but they are a genuinely good sounding headphone that will make the most of your iPod or iPhone. Recommended.
on 14 August 2012
Having just purchased the Skullcandy Aviator Headphones it seems only fair to write a fitting review for headphones that, well, fit so well... Starting with the aesthetics.

Having received my first ever set of Skullcandy Headphones I was extremely excited - even by the packaging! Yes, the headphones are of a premium price compared to other makes of headphones on the market so you would expect the first impression to be a lasting one, but the whole presentation of the product made me smile.

The high quality packaging and sophisticated way of opening the box to reveal the headphones was an exciting experience. The headphones with their `stashable' style come neatly encased in a black zip-up pouch detailed with the Skullcandy logo. Inside the case you will then find a cleaning cloth and cable, again, both complete with mini skull motif. I was interested to see that the cable is covered in a soft shoelace-like finish and actually I think this works well other than being a stiff plastic cable, making it easier and more comfortable to wear under clothing.

Once removed from the case and easily unfolded, the Skullcandy Aviator Headphones (bought in black) look great. They have a high quality finish and the materials used make for an awesome looking product, reminiscent of aviator sunglasses that even to this day, so many people are enamoured with. Once again the Skullcandy logo is repeated on the headphones and quite adorably inside each of the ear cushions. The headphones are extremely comfortable to wear with well padded ear cushions and flexible headband. They are also comfortable to wear around the neck when not in use.

I decided that the fairest way to review the headphones was to try three different styles of music; from fast paced rock to a more mellow song that only the best headphones / speakers could truly do justice to.

I started with Rage Against The Machine's "Guerrilla Radio" to test the diversity of sound through the headphones and in-a-nutshell it sounded like Zach de la Rocha had stepped into my brain. The sound clarity is fantastic - from the bassiest parts of the song to purely lyrical definition when de la Rocha whispers, I was blown away by the way the music swam through my ears. It would take a lot to make RATM sound bad but to make me feel as moved by the song as the Aviators did, is very impressive.

I then decided to listen to Benga & Coki's "Night", a favourite dubstep track of mine which allows for pure musical production to be fully appreciated; the Aviators did not disappoint. Not recommended (for obvious reasons) but I tried the song on full volume and although a little crackly and with slight reverberations, I was still impressed by the headphones ability to handle the heaviest parts of the song. Likewise, during the song where it needed clearer sound, they certainly delivered crisp and clean musical moments.

Finally, I listened to Mumford & Sons' "Dust Bowl Dance" for the slowest, most melodic song out of my three choices. Mumford were a good choice as the talents of the multi-instrumentalists can often be overlooked however, through the headphones I could clearly make out piano, drums, guitar, banjo and possible mandolin. The song itself starts slow and gets faster but I felt nothing but excitement as the song lifted and the headphones fully embraced the sound.

Since these three songs I have listened to a huge number of tracks (played through my iPod Classic) and the only downside I can see is that the Aviator Headphones can become quite warm when wearing! That is, I have only ever worn in-ear headphones previously and therefore I assume this will just take some getting used to.

I would definitely recommend the Skullcandy Aviator Headphones to anyone who enjoys good music and understands how good music should be listened to.
on 10 November 2012
I firstly wanted to say how much effort I put into finding the perfect pair of headphones for what I need - these definitely weren't some impulse buy, I read every single review for almost every pair of headphones on amazon, and then more on youtube and other comparison sites etc, and there are tonnes of great reviews for these on many of these sites, if you're considering getting these you should look on youtube also. I really wanted to make the right choice with these headphones and so I made a checklist of things they must have. My specific criteria that had to be met were:

1. good quality sound - after all that is their main purpose.
2. comfortable - I listen to music for hours at a time.
3. quality - I didn't want them falling apart after a few months.

I left this review for a while after I bought them so that I could talk about all three of those things and whether they turned out to be what I had hoped they would, and overall they completely surpassed my expectations.

The sound quality is perfectly balanced, in my opinion, and I listen to a very wide range of music - from drum and bass and electro house to rock and indie - it all sounds great on these headphones. While the sound would obviously be enhanced if you bought headphones more in the region of 200 pounds, these for me are just right.

They are extremely comfortable, so comfortable in fact that many nights I fall asleep listening to music on them accidentally and get up in the morning forgetting they are still on. I make my own music, and to have these is a lifesaver; I used to have to do 20 minutes then have a 10 minute break on my old pair which were a stand-in before I got a nicer pair, but now I can work for half a day with no discomfort.

Again, the quality is superb, I've had these for 3 months, (and already I can't imagine life without them!) and without cleaning or doing anything to them they still look brand new, and that's after using them at least once a day every day since I got them. The material they are made of and every last finishing touch just perfects these headphones to be the best pair on amazon by far for an all-rounder great pair of headphones - and at a great price for what you get, too, don't forget the great case as well.

All of that isn't even taking into account the great style to these headphones, many people complimented me on them, asked where I got them from etc, it was unbelievable! If you don't have a pair and you have the money for them do not hesitate, I can assure you that they will be worth it.
on 11 December 2012
I love the look of these headphones extremely stylish. I had tried quite a few different makes all at a similar price, these in my opinion were not only the best looking but also easily the best sounding.
I have used these constantly over the last couple of months and they continue to delight in every way. I listen to a wide variety of music and these headphones always bring out the best, finding detail in tracks I had never heard before, sound is crisp without being to bright never overpowering even on the most bass heavy tracks.

In conclusion a product that oozes style and quality, I cannot fault these in any way highly recommended.
on 24 January 2014
What can I say about the Skullcandy Aviator 2.0 headphones, well having read the reviews on here and Google, finally I hit 'You Tube' just to make sure that these was not fakes, (I've been burned in the past). I popped into my local curries to listen to them with the other makes in its price range and found the others wanting, either to tight on my head, ('sporty according to the salesman lol') or bass heavy or just to muddy for my taste.

Sound quality, I found it odd that everyone was saying that the Aviator 2.0 were a bit light on the base but midrange and treble was spot on. This can only be true if your been listening to 'beats' or other modern headphones which appear to have a bass rich tone. I can only assume this is the result of bad Mp3 players out there. I used to use Orpheus HE90 from Sennheiser and these was in a class of their own when used with a quality CD Player. With the Skullcandy Aviator they was like a blast in the past great sound as it should be. (more on this later)

Build quality, The Aviator 2.0 are built to a very high quality, the attention to detail is first class, the ear pads feel very soft and the head band don't squeeze your head and as a result they don't bring on headaches via prolonged listening. (I'm about to go into hospital for a few days and they will be ideal) Gold and brown matches my iPhone which has an element wooden & gold bumper surround so its a great match. The Skullcandy Aviator 2.0 has some nice touches around these headphones ('Gold Bling & Leather') lets hope that the gold don't peel off. Im giving it 4 stars as the only issue I have with these headphones is that when your listening to music you can here the cord moving around and if you drag your fingernail along the cable its amplified into the ear piece but only on the top half of the cable. yep I'm being picky but nothings perfect.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 14 October 2012
Colour Name: Black|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Skullcandy Aviator 2.0 headphones have a good sound quality. They are light and comfortable to wear, even for extended periods.

I've tried them with various styles of music and on a few devices and always found them very pleasant to listen to, with a good sound quality and tone. The ear pads are comfortable and do a reasonable job of sound proofing.

The headphones look good and seem well made, although they look a little delicate -- robust enough for the home or office, but I'm not sure they would stand up to travel. I wish the cord was slightly longer, so I could more easily use these with non-portable devices. Also, the cord has a mic control unit that feels a bit cheap and is prone to snag against clothing -- through the ear cups you can hear it rubbing, though this is not a major problem. Overall these are stylish headphones that sound good.
on 19 April 2016
These are great, my second pair as I broke the first pair I had for 4 years, , I bought several after I broke them , none where anything like these . Cut out trying others head for these . You won't be disappointed 😀 Happy days .
on 3 September 2014
I really like these headphones. Light, comfortable and with good sound. Surprisingly good soundstage considering they are closed but that said they do leak a little. Not recommended if you have big ears. My home headphone is the Phillips Fidelio X1 which I love but these are not to far behind. UK Skullcandy distributor provide free replacement lead if needed. http://www.dynamic-distribution.net/SC%20Warranty.html .
on 1 February 2014
Fab headphones, great sound, great quality!

Feels like surround sound when wearing them. Highly recommend you to buy. They certainly look the part too. The item comes with a protective soft zipped leather pouch which is great for storing them in your bag or around the house etc.

They feel lightweight on your head, but no lightweight as in they are flimsy or anything. They are quite sturdy and I can see these lasting a while. The foam padding on my ears is comfortable and I haven't found any discomfort as yet with long term usage which is a huge plus.

Get what you pay for!
on 6 May 2014
LOVE LOVE LOVE these headphones. They look stylish and are very comfortable. Great if you have a nagging girlfriend/wife, whip these bad boys on and all the nagging stops as the only thing you'll hear are the awesome beats. Only one slight problem is that even the likes of Justin Bieber etc still manage to make a good sound through them :-/ Although if that is the reason for your purchase then stay away. The likes of Justin Bieber shouldn't be listened through a glorious pair of headphones like these. Shame on you!!