• WIRED

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.81

on 8 August 2016
I started this book some months ago but got side-tracked. Returning to it I was enthralled and read it almost at one sitting. Mind you, the basic theory behind the story is quite ridiculous, but it is very well written. Some of the arguments are very detailed, and I found them fascinating, although many of them appear rather far fetched, which is why I only gave it 4 stars.
on 2 April 2017
Richards extrapolates from tentative modern science research brilliantly. Action is fast and furious and his plot lines are surprising and far from obvious though characterisation is admittedly limited. I particularly liked again his digressions into philosophy and his interesting take on existential meaning.
on 5 March 2015
I really like how the story developed & fitted together. Leading to an unforeseen conclusion, yep I liked it a lot
on 2 April 2017
One of those books that was so good that I really did not want it to end. Very well written.
on 9 January 2015
I am really looking forward to reading the sequel to see where the story goes from here.

Loved it! Intelligent reading.
on 27 January 2015
Good story.
on 11 September 2012
His eyes narrowed. His eyes widened. His eyes narrowed and widened. Occasionally widened and narrowed.

Her eyes glistened, sometimes glittered. She is really something, especially when explaining her theories for hours to him, while he's tied to the bed with his eyes narrowing. And widening.

When they have a pizza, with the distinct possibility of hot lead being served with the cheese, they do spend a long, long time talking theories. Pizza would have got awful cold but their mouths narrowed and widened which helped.

He does, at times, bark, but mainly does gymnastics with his eyes although he knows a lot and is evidently a big fan of Wikipedia,able to recall gobbits of knowledge about, um, Nietzsche while his eyes narrow.
When his eyes widened for the zillionth time, mine closed and I didn't have to finish it.
2121 Comments| 213 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 March 2013
I'm two chapters in. The characters are one dimensional. The description is grating. The plot is ludicrous.

It's like Dan Brown Lite.

I mean truly awful. You can feel your brain melting as you're reading it.

The one saving grace is it was free when I bought it. That and I bought it on my kindle, so no tree died to make this awful, utter tripe.

Please, for the sake of your brain, for the sake of literature, for the sake of sanity, do not read this "book". Please!
on 16 October 2011
What if it were possible for mankind to live indefinitely and with unlimited intelligence?

That is the underlying premise of Douglas E. Richards' mystery/thriller Wired. The premise is undeniably captivating, but the execution of the storytelling was not all that it could have been. Not to say that the book was terrible by any stretch of the imagination, it simply fell short of 'excellent' - and it could have been - had a little more attention to avoidance of cliché, and the overuse of sometimes megalomaniacal exposition to impart character motivation, which was the only real problem that detracted from the action of the book.

Several reviewers have complained about stereotypical characterisation of the protagonists, both hero and heroine, within the pages of the novel, but sometimes that just works in a story's favour, and this seems to be the case with Wired, where the story and the ethical and existential questions raised in the ongoing plot become almost a character in their own right, and the actual characters merely a vehicle for the exploration of human nature.

The story is fast paced, and action packed in which Desh and Miller must use all available resources to stay ahead of a threat that seems to constantly mutate, as much as the DNA on which Miller has been experimenting. The story provides a thought provoking nudge toward real thought about our use of scientific advances that are fast approaching what many would once have considered 'science fiction' and to remind us of the dangers inherent in 'playing god.' Set this against an interesting blend of genres, (refreshing perhaps to see an author dare to bend the rules of genre division), including sci-fi, adventure, action and romance, and you have Richards' Wired, a promising, escapist read.
on 21 May 2012
"Wired" by Douglas E. Richards is without doubt one of the most fast paced and action packed novels I have read in quite a while. I found the entire experience of reading the book quite simply fun and it kept me hooked with thrills aplenty.

The plot itself is mainly focused around a scientific discovery by a gifted scientist called Kira Miller. When she uncovers the ability to enhance the human brain beyond all current understanding she unleashes a chain of events that results in her having to go into hiding as she has been branded as a dangerous terrorist. At this point David Desh, an ex-special forces soldier, is brought in to hunt down Kira and ensure that she doesn't unleash a biological weapon upon the world. However, as David begins to close in on Kira he begins to wonder if he is actually the hunter or the hunted.

I found the plot to be enthralling and it was full of wonderful plot twists and turns that kept me guessing from start to finish. I wasn't really sure who the good guys actually were until I turned the last page and confirmed it was all over. This enjoyable and complex plotline combined well with the non-stop thrills and action scenes in a way that meant I struggled to put the book down at night.

Due to the nature of the plot, there are some scientific elements throughout the novel but I didn't find any of it to be very heavy. Richards has used some skill here to ensure that the reader can grasp the principles of the enhancement of a human brain without becoming bogged down in technical issues. In addition, I think that the scientific elements that are present were woven into the plot quite well so that the pace of the novel didn't suffer at all. Basically, I think that as long as you are a fan of popular thrillers then the science fiction aspects of the novel shouldn't affect you at all.

One little issue I did have with the novel is in regards to the style of how the story is actually told. Quite simply more than half the plotline is probably told through discussions between various characters. This isn't anything major but I think I may have enjoyed it slightly more had I actually followed the events occurring rather than having them explained to me by the characters after the fact.

In regards to the characters, I don't think they elicited any real empathy in me as they just felt a little bit stilted in their overall development. I think this was probably one of the side effects of the novel mainly telling us a fair amount of the story rather than actually taking us on the journey with the characters. To be honest though, as the plot thunders along like a roller coaster I found it quite easy to ignore this and just enjoy the ride.

Overall, I found this novel to be an exciting and entertaining thrill ride full of complex twists and action galore. I really struggled to put the book down and this to me is the hallmark of any good story. There are some flaws without a doubt but anyone looking for a fun action packed thriller should find something in this book to enjoy.